Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #3701
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
There have been rumors regarding Hamilton's fit in the dressing room right back to his time in Boston, with that amount of smoke there's usually some kind of fire. I think that coupled with Carolina realizing he's not a good player in his own zone have made them realize they made a huge mistake. I'm so glad Treliving sold on Hamilton when his value was still high
I continue to worry about this. Who knows what happened in Boston, or Calgary, or now in Carolina, but it is not difficult to imagine that Hamilton has struggled to find any traction with an NHL team because he does not fit the hockey culture, for whatever reason. I think it would be sad if a kid with all the talent in the world struggles to realize his potential because he just did not fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #3702
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
To me, the Flames need a more potent offense. Elias Lindholm doesn't scream "potent" to me. He's a guy who I'd love to play on the second line unless the Flames got a guy like van Riemsdyk to play on the left side to shift Tkachuk to the right.
Update: Elias Lindholm now screams "potent" to me.

Mmm, crow.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #3703
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I liked the trade right from the start so nyah.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #3704
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I continue to worry about this. Who knows what happened in Boston, or Calgary, or now in Carolina, but it is not difficult to imagine that Hamilton has struggled to find any traction with an NHL team because he does not fit the hockey culture, for whatever reason. I think it would be sad if a kid with all the talent in the world struggles to realize his potential because he just did not fit in.
I really don't think it has anything to do with fitting in. He's just not a good defenceman.

He seemed to fit in fine with the Flames players. He had the whole post game interview running prank, he always did the Children's Hospital dress up with the other guys. I just don't think there was any issue with the other players.

The only point of tension I think there could have been would be between Hamilton, Gio and Brodie.

I think both Gio and Brodie's game suffered from a) being split up; and b) Gio having to babysit Hamilton on the ice.

Brodie suffered cause he couldn't play the right side and Gio suffered cause he had to cover up for Hamilton in the defensive end which meant he couldn't join the rush and put up points.

The other thing is likely the Dougie being upset about the Freddie thing, which manifested out into the garbage day incident.

We are all speculating and don't know, but I suppose we will all find out when the Canes come to town later this month. Will be interesting to see if there is any tension between the players and Dougie on the ice.

I think the main issue, as to why he's on the block again, is because the Canes realized he's not good in his own end, which is what a lot of us were saying. You can't scout based on stats and especially not advanced stats. You have to actually watch the players play and if you watched Hamilton play, you'd know that he is not a good defender.

Hell looking at regular stats this year, you'd think Gio is 10 times the defenseman that Brodie is, but honestly, I think Brodie is the best defenseman on the Flames this year. He literally controls the game when he is out there. The points aren't there, but they pretty much need two pucks on the ice when Brodie is there because he has it all the time. It's crazy how comfort level (being on his preferred side) can lead to confidence.

Last edited by 868904; 01-08-2019 at 10:49 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #3705
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, went and read the first few pages of this thread and I can't believe the outrage. I didn't remember it being that bad.

Posters calling it a debacle, calling for Treliving's head, claiming they are done with this team.

Just goes to show that the average fan really doesn't know all that much. 6 months later and this trade is looking like a landslide win for Calgary.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #3706
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Wow, went and read the first few pages of this thread and I can't believe the outrage. I didn't remember it being that bad.

Posters calling it a debacle, calling for Treliving's head, claiming they are done with this team.

Just goes to show that the average fan really doesn't know all that much. 6 months later and this trade is looking like a landslide win for Calgary.
i don't know if that's a fair characterization... quite a few people liked the trade or thought it was a saw off...

i think the inclusion of Fox, as opposed to another prospect or pick is what made most people against the trade, because there was a lot to be excited for...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #3707
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Can never trust a grown man named Dougie. Like this trade and goto hell Alex Fox!
Point still stands for Hamilton. Not enough hate for Alex though.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #3708
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year after 44 games...

Gio / Dougie / Brodie: 16G, 40A, 60P, +11 (combined)

Giordano / Brodie.....: 11G, 45A, 56P, +53

If you add Hanifin in..: 14G, 65A, 79P, +50

Edit: sorry, the 2nd and 3rd set of data are this year - didn't make that clear.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 01-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #3709
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i don't know if that's a fair characterization... quite a few people liked the trade or thought it was a saw off...

i think the inclusion of Fox, as opposed to another prospect or pick is what made most people against the trade, because there was a lot to be excited for...
On top of that, there were initial rumours of Hamilton being traded. Then maybe Hamilton AND Ferland. Then it turns out to be Hamilton and Ferland AND Fox.

I think it looked bad relative to prior expectations, which set some people off. Regardless, there were still a fair number of people who liked, or didn't dislike, the trade.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #3710
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I really don't think it has anything to do with fitting in. He's just not a good defenceman.
He's an average defender. He's a #3-4 d-man on a good day in terms of defending the puck. You do not want him out there against other team's top lines.

He's above average offensively though.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #3711
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
On top of that, there were initial rumours of Hamilton being traded. Then maybe Hamilton AND Ferland. Then it turns out to be Hamilton and Ferland AND Fox.

I think it looked bad relative to prior expectations, which set some people off...
I think this was my first reaction to the trade. I thought in the moment that the cost was too high, but then having a day or two to digest it brought me around. This could go down as one of the best trades in Flames history. I LOVE how Elias Lindholm plays. He might be my favourite player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #3712
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this was my first reaction to the trade. I thought in the moment that the cost was too high, but then having a day or two to digest it brought me around. This could go down as one of the best trades in Flames history. I LOVE how Elias Lindholm plays. He might be my favourite player.
yeah, its funny cause during Monny's draft year, i was hoping for Lindholm, but only by a hair cause i thought he had a bit more offensive abiltiy... I was thrilled with Monny too though.

When the trade came through, and Lindholm was part of the deal, i was excited because i though Lindholm was a better all around player and had enough offense to replace ferland...didn't think he's be this good offensively though

Dougie, there was so much smoke around him, i figured that something was up for sure... getting Hanifin, a kid 4 years younger that had the same number of points as Hamilton did in his first 3 years, and was 4 years younger but who looked to be better in his own end seemed like a win.

i was disappointed in losing Fox, but after Tre tried hard to sign him in the offseason and he didn't, it seemed like there was a definite chance to lose him for nothing anyways...

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #3713
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best. Trade. Ever.

Still the happiest snot nosed internet poster ever about this trade.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #3714
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Lindholm gets 25+ playing on the first line bank on it.
Oh I'm going to be right!
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #3715
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think Lindholm will get Selke consideration. However, it is probably a pipe-dream to imagine that Giordano would garner enough votes League-wide to win the Norris, and Rittich will not be a Vezina candidate after a four-month stint as a starting goalie. He probably won’t play many more than 50 games this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it's a pipe dream at all. There were a couple websites that had Giordano winning the Norris at the half way point of the season. He's got some stiff competition, but he's being heralded as a possible Norris candidate more so than any name I've heard so far, even in Toronto media who have Reilly.

Rittich could also be a surprise nominee. At the start of last season, I couldn't have possibly imagined Hellebuyck being nominated, but there he was at the end of the season. We've also seen quite a few Vezina candidates and winners in the 50's in terms of games played. It's not unheard of. Heck, Kipper only played 38 when he was nominated the first time.

Rittich has also seen an increase in games every month that he has played so far this season. He started with 6, then 7, then 10 in December. If that pace stays steady, or even if he just plays 10 per month for the next 3 months. He'll be easily in the 50's where I've already established, can get you a Vezina nomination.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #3716
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guys in 960 were talking with Freidman about the Hamilton rumours out of Carolina and they went on about personality and fit and all that stuff. Steinberg and Pinder were expressing their shock at a standout d-man of his age being traded for the third time. They were mystified. But none of them said a word about Hamilton's game on the ice.

Does nobody actually watch the games? The gaping holes in Hamilton's play without the puck are obvious to anyone who can tear their eyes away from a spreadsheet for a 15 minutes. So weird.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #3717
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Lindholm gets serious consideration for the Selke this year. It's a reputation award. Players only get nominated once they've been on the radar as an elite defensive forward for a few years. And they rarely win until they've been nominated a couple times first.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #3718
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one of the most lopsided trade wins in Flames history. Since acquiring Kiprusoff for a second round pick, for sure (and that seemed like an overpayment at the time too).
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #3719
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Best. Trade. Ever.

Still the happiest snot nosed internet poster ever about this trade.
I'll give you props, you were happy with the trade from the get-go.

It's funny to go back and read some of the people calling for Treliving's head in the first few pages.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #3720
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The guys in 960 were talking with Freidman about the Hamilton rumours out of Carolina and they went on about personality and fit and all that stuff. Steinberg and Pinder were expressing their shock at a standout d-man of his age being traded for the third time. They were mystified. But none of them said a word about Hamilton's game on the ice.

Does nobody actually watch the games? The gaping holes in Hamilton's play without the puck are obvious to anyone who can tear their eyes away from a spreadsheet for a 15 minutes. So weird.
I saw it almost the second he landed here. I don't remember ever being too infatuated with his play, especially early on. I even remember at the worst of it, there was a period of time in his second season before he was paired with Gio, that he was struggling so mightily that he was actually playing on the 3rd pair with Jokipakka and the 2 looked absolutely dreadful together. That's when the trade rumors started and when the whole "skates like a deer" thing happened. Thank goodness Gio helped fix his game enough so that we could land such a blockbuster of a deal.

Hamilton has a great shot, there's not doubt about that. But he lacks in almost every other aspect. I'm not surprised at all that his assist totals (pace) are no where close to what he was putting up when he was here. I'm also not surprised that his defensive game has seen such a significant drop off. I'm sure Jaccob Slavin probably feels the same way.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: