Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 11:59 AM   #181
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was Granlund really a bad pick? Only 8 players in the second round played more games than him, and only 4 of those were picked after him (Edmundson, Nieto, Karlsson, Kucherov). Only 14 players picked after the 2nd round that year played more games.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:03 PM   #182
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Was Granlund really a bad pick? Only 8 players in the second round played more games than him, and only 4 of those were picked after him (Edmundson, Nieto, Karlsson, Kucherov). Only 14 players picked after the 2nd round that year played more games.
I don't think it was a bad pick. He had a great WJHC and looked like a guy that was skilled but just couldn't cut it in the NHL which happens all the time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:04 PM   #183
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Ramholt one really hurts since that draft is considered the best ever. Never understood Sutter taking a Swiss defenseman ahead of a WHLer in his backyard Shea Weber. Especially with the Rockets winning the WHL. Did they think Weber was too similar to Phaneuf?
I remember Ramholt's 45 second shift. That was his NHL career. Made a bad play. Sutter shook his head. And that was that.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #184
sch19lks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I remember Ramholt's 45 second shift. That was his NHL career. Made a bad play. Sutter shook his head. And that was that.
I believe he turned the puck over which caused a goal against
sch19lks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #185
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I just pulled those out of my head as picks that were likely management over scouts. It's why I tend to feel that mid to later round picks are more indicative of well the scouting department is doing over the early round picks where management is likely making the final decisions.
That's splitting hairs in my mind.

The scrutiny is higher in the first round and with that I think you have to have more input from different sides.

But the scouting/drafting under Treliving improved as a bottom line. Something we should all be able to agree with.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:02 AM   #186
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good. He has a stupid name anyways.

Although I am surprised at the lightness of his sentence. Maybe our Finnish friends can chime in and tell us if this is typical?
He was sentenced as a minor (or more specifically "a young person", which is 15+ but under 18), which gets you a reduced sentence and usually probation.

Since afaik there's no public information about the case, it's impossible to say much anything about it. The lack of information was to be expected in a case involving two (at the time) minors. All I can say is that I've seen no one suggest there was anything unusual about the case in itself, other than a pro athlete being involved.

We generally don't put minors to prison in Finland, unless they've killed someone or something.

Last edited by Itse; 03-14-2024 at 05:26 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: