Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #3541
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lexin finally being forced to close up shop. Companies like this really give O&G a bad name. I am not exactly sure of MFC's involvement with them but talk around the office is they should be on the hook in some capacity here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...down-1.3984287

Quote:
The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) has suspended the operation of natural gas and crude oil producer Lexin Resources, leaving more than 1,600 well sites, pipeline segments and other facilities to be cleaned up or sold off.

This is the largest suspension order ever by the AER.

Calgary-based Lexin, which also operated a sour gas plant in southern Alberta, has 1,380 well sites, 201 pipeline licences and 81 facilities. Those have all been turned over to the Orphan Well Association to be suspended and locked up.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #3542
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

That's crazy, who the hell runs these companies and why are they so grossly incompetent?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #3543
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
That's crazy, who the hell runs these companies and why are they so grossly incompetent?
Its too easy to just make money till you no longer can, walk away as the company goes under, then take your money and start a new company.

I have actually worked on some Orphan Wells (in BC) from a defunct company while also working with the new company that was made with the management/owners after that one went under.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #3544
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they should be held personally liable if they continue to take money out of the company while ignoring safety issues. Or is that the case?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #3545
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Lexin finally being forced to close up shop. Companies like this really give O&G a bad name. I am not exactly sure of MFC's involvement with them but talk around the office is they should be on the hook in some capacity here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...down-1.3984287
Ha! At first I thought you were playing the stupid "rhymes with" game.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #3546
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't decide which thread this belongs in, but Jim Prentice had a book mostly complete when he passed suddenly last fall. It comes out next week and looks like it will be quite interesting and probably a good read: http://www.macleans.ca/economy/how-t...gy-superpower/
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #3547
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Possibly relevant? NYTimes article about Texas Oil. Not being in the industry, I don't know what kind of commonalities and differences there are between Texas and Alberta in terms of the overall industry, but thought it would be interesting.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #3548
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Possibly relevant? NYTimes article about Texas Oil. Not being in the industry, I don't know what kind of commonalities and differences there are between Texas and Alberta in terms of the overall industry, but thought it would be interesting.
I would think the same would be true of Alberta. Companies have been forced to do more with less and that generally means automation and job losses at the manual level. Perhaps the oilsands is a different animal, but I would think that most producers here are doing similar things to that done in Texas.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #3549
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

XOM just cut the entire Kearl Oilsands mine from their proven reserves, part of 3.3B barrel write down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...de-market-rout
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #3550
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

what does that mean?

In laymans terms please
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #3551
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
what does that mean?

In laymans terms please
Short Answer: Nothing

Long Answer: To prevent Bre-ex type frauds there are strict rules in what you call your proven oil reserves. This is essentially the oil leases you own that with current technology you can extract for a profit at current oil prices.

So what Exxon is saying is that the Oil in the Kearl is not extractable at a profit using current technology. It's a book keeping exercise to allow investors to properly value a company.

What I don't quite understand is that Kearl Plant as being run right now is posting a positive cash flow so while new investment into to Kearl is not economic how do the reserves that the Kearl project is currently producing get factored in. Are they still reserves? or are they classified differently.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #3552
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Short Answer: Nothing

Long Answer: To prevent Bre-ex type frauds there are strict rules in what you call your proven oil reserves. This is essentially the oil leases you own that with current technology you can extract for a profit at current oil prices.

So what Exxon is saying is that the Oil in the Kearl is not extractable at a profit using current technology. It's a book keeping exercise to allow investors to properly value a company.

What I don't quite understand is that Kearl Plant as being run right now is posting a positive cash flow so while new investment into to Kearl is not economic how do the reserves that the Kearl project is currently producing get factored in. Are they still reserves? or are they classified differently.
As I understand things (from a very drunken conversation) The Kearl plant, despite being cut up into pieces in Idaho and hastily re-assembled in Fort Macmoney, is outdoing it's design specs./
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #3553
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
As I understand things (from a very drunken conversation) The Kearl plant, despite being cut up into pieces in Idaho and hastily re-assembled in Fort Macmoney, is outdoing it's design specs./
None of those are reasons for the plant to be profitable yet have it's TP reserves written off. Will be interesting to read more of XOM's report and see why.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #3554
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
None of those are reasons for the plant to be profitable yet have it's TP reserves written off. Will be interesting to read more of XOM's report and see why.
Thinking about it I would guess that the current Kearl plant (phase1 and 2) in its 40 year projected operational life will process xxx million barrels. The remaining barrels in the ground that were planned to be extracted using Kearl phase 3 to 5? which were canceled is considered a write down. This is a guess as I have fairly lionized knowledge on reserve reporting.

Last edited by GGG; 02-22-2017 at 11:22 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #3555
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently a company has created technology has had a successful pilot where they generated 125k barrels with "very low emissions".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...cess-1.4012709

Quote:
The pilot project, which uses heated solvent vapour to stimulate oil flow, began in Fort McKay, Alta., in January 2014, and no safety or environmental incidents have been reported since.

Compared to traditional steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD), the company says the solvent technology will generate a higher return on investment thanks to lower capital and operating costs, at the same time producing a "partially-upgraded, higher quality oil product."

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #3556
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Apparently a company has created technology has had a successful pilot where they generated 125k barrels with "very low emissions".

Damn technology, if this takes off the NDP will have to come up with a solvent tax to get their money.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #3557
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
Damn technology, if this takes off the NDP will have to come up with a solvent tax to get their money.
Thats their wheelhouse man. When it comes to 'Up' and 'Taxes' thats when its the NDP's time to shine!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #3558
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Like I have said many times, there are a lot of brilliant engineers in Alberta that if given the resources and funding can come up with some remarkable AND usable ideas.

Needless to say, that would be a game changer. They should also patent it somehow so that it can only be used outside of the province if hefty royalties are paid. Call that the Alberta Advantage.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #3559
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I remember reading about NSolv and it's process as early as 2005. Glad to see they finally got meaningful production.

The technical knock on using solvents is 2-fold:

1. How do you control the floodfront?

2. How can you be assured that you recover the solvent on the production side?

I'd love to see the pilot results and how they managed to control the front, and what evidence they have that they recovered the propane at the production well. I have to admit I actually know nothing about the injector-producer pattern or the well types used on their pilot. If all they were doing was flowing propane between a horizontal well pair, I don't think it would have done much to answer those questions.

The risk with a project like this is that a company is not guaranteed to have a favourable balance between the cost of propane and the value of their production. As it's been discussed at length, Alberta's oil sands products are not very valuable. Putting this process on the front end doesn't eliminate the steam requirements, just reduces them. So you still have to build the water treating and steam generation modules. Plus whatever is required for the solvent injection and recovery.

Frankly I see this entire concept as one big gamble that burning gas will become prohibitively expensive, and that somehow at the same time buying propane will stay inexpensive. Adding a bunch of kit without eliminating anything else or improving recovery factors, production acceleration, etc... doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

Even IF all of the conditions stay favourable... it only extends the runway a short bit: "NSolv estimates it can add an aditional 800kbbl/d of production under the 100Mt hard cap".

Let's talk about that hard cap. That hard cap only applies to certain major emtting activities - mining, upgrading, in-situ. We currently sit at 70 Mt, so we have 30 left in the budget before... (what happens if we exceed this, no one is clear - presumably new projects don't get approved until old ones go offline?).

Fort Hills mine will take some of that 30 Mt budget, mines roughly produce 0.045 Mt/bbl produced. In-Situ represents most of the growth projects proposed in the province, and it emits at 0.07 Mt/bbl produced. Let's just pretend all 30 is available for SAGD expansion, that means about 1.17 million barrels/day of capacity can be added, best case. The last two pipelines that got approved basically puts us over that limit.

Most projections show AB will be capped at roughly 3.9 million barrels/day total production under the carbon budget; most projections also show that under the low price scenario we are in today production will be limited to 3.5 million barrels a day anyways.

So NSolv might add 20% to our total production capacity while still being up against the threshold of the hard cap. No guarantees that it actually brings in more money to the province, or if it allows expansion under the low price environment we are facing today. I notice that article didn't touch much on economics, but heavily promoted it's half measure carbon abatement results.

I also notice that much of the ERA (formerly CCEMC) funds have been going to concepts that capture carbon emissions and convert them into synfuels. Synfuel production, even though it is taking carbon from the atmosphere, it is a net contributor as usually part of the feedstock is combusted to produce the heat and power required to run the reactions.

So where do those great, exportable technologies fit under the hard cap?

Are we actually getting anywhere?

People might be excited to learn that my company TEI is getting closer to pilot demonstration. We have 5 sites (2 in Canada, 0 in Alberta...) competing to host our demo plant.

Using our reactor to produce steam, electricity, and hydrogen... would render the 100Mt hardcap entirely irrelevant, and it would make those synfuel processes have roughly 30% of the emissions they would normally have (they usually burn gas to power their reactions).

Personally, I think that makes a great fit and opens a lot of potential collaboration between multiple provinces. We need more projects that can allow Canada to emerge as an energy exporting powerhouse as a NATION as opposed to all this Province-centric "Whats in it for me" discourse that's happening today. It's screwing all of us over at a time when Canada could be taking major advantage of the geopolitical and economic opportunities available worldwide. This window isn't guaranteed to last forever.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #3560
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
People might be excited to learn that my company TEI is getting closer to pilot demonstration. We have 5 sites (2 in Canada, 0 in Alberta...) competing to host our demo plant.

Using our reactor to produce steam, electricity, and hydrogen... would render the 100Mt hardcap entirely irrelevant, and it would make those synfuel processes have roughly 30% of the emissions they would normally have (they usually burn gas to power their reactions).

Personally, I think that makes a great fit and opens a lot of potential collaboration between multiple provinces. We need more projects that can allow Canada to emerge as an energy exporting powerhouse as a NATION as opposed to all this Province-centric "Whats in it for me" discourse that's happening today. It's screwing all of us over at a time when Canada could be taking major advantage of the geopolitical and economic opportunities available worldwide. This window isn't guaranteed to last forever.
Who is TEI?? If you can say...
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote