Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #2281
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sane's last night tonight then she's going home. She's leaving on good terms.

Hopefully they don't feed her to Nia.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #2282
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like there was supposed to be a CGI eye in the Eye for an Eye match but Vince hated how it looked so they changed it. Asuka was supposed to pin Bayley too but he wants to do a rematch to try and boost ratings.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #2283
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They should have painted a peeled grape like an eye ball and had Rey clutch his face and scream my eye my eye, somebody pick up my eye, and then have 10 minutes of people running around slipping on it to keystone cops music. Then Vince comes down and offers to jack hammer it back into his skull.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #2284
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Holy crap I take back every mean thing I've said about Rollins after tonight.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:39 AM   #2285
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1285420932140539905

Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #2286
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sammy Guevara returns tonight, I don't know if I feel very good about that.

Look i want to like AEW, I really do, but the Young Bucks and Cody doing a lot of the booking just screams what happened in WCW when Hogan and Nash and Hall and other wrestlers were running the book.

And the young bucks don't understand match psychology at all. Matt is virtually in god mode all the time with his no sell, injured for half a second after a devestating move hulkimaniac come back stuff. They're not enjoyable to watch unless you want to see two guys who's goals in a match are to get their sh%% in, all of it.

Why is AEW continuing to bloat their roster and bring people in. They bought in Eddie Kingston and basically buried him in one night, it was just stupid and did nothing but to make Cody look good.

The people writing this stuff don't understand that there is a difference between elevating a wrestler the right way, and elevating a wrestler at the cost of devaluing their stars.

There were some really good moments tonight, I enjoyed the main event a lot, Ivanesse in AEW is a big bonus to the woman's division because she's just a really solid worker.

Oh and why is every story of a new person like, they showed up with a gym bag and nothing for the dream of wrestling here, or he sold his boots to pay his mortgage. If your going to do something like that have Eddie show up in tennis shoes or bare foot instead of showing up in wrestling boots.

I think this could be a really stellar competitor to the WWE with the talent that they have on the roster, but the inside jokes, some of the outright silly stuff and over elevating the guys writing the script are why they're probably stagnant viewership wise.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #2287
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that kills me is just how set up some of their big spots look.

Like the Canadian Destroyers in the tag match the last couple weeks, you have a young buck literally holding his brothers leg on the rope to set up the move.

Stuff like that is just horrible and they need to stop having awkward stuff like that, that is clearly scripted in all their tag matches.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #2288
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The thing that kills me is just how set up some of their big spots look.

Like the Canadian Destroyers in the tag match the last couple weeks, you have a young buck literally holding his brothers leg on the rope to set up the move.

Stuff like that is just horrible and they need to stop having awkward stuff like that, that is clearly scripted in all their tag matches.

It seems like its become such a thing, with the pyramid suplexes and stuff that actually on reflection looks stupid. That Canadian Destroyer thing last week looked just dumb and sucked me right out of the match.

I don't know if it was called that way but the unprotected dive by Blade tonight was stupid and unnecessary and dumb, and whoever booked that spot needs to be completely shyte on. He was within inches of a really serious injury for a almost meaningless match designed to make the young bucks look good.

Also and I'm stealing a Tito term called the Finger Poke of doom. When you have an audience of wrestlers and employers chanting this is awesome and other catchphrases it comes across as phony and promotional like piping in Goldberg chants. The AEW and WWE wrestlers in the crowds need to stop doing stupid stuff like that.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #2289
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flabbergasted to hear such negativity. Dynamite was awesome tonight, so much action. I feel as if you’re concentrating on so many odd details, it’s almost not fun for you to watch. Only issue is I would say stop bringing in new wrestlers and having them lose right away.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #2290
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I enjoyed it for the most part. The complaint about bringing in new wrestlers and having them lose right away is pretty silly too. WWE would bring up NXT wrestlers and job them out to Cena right away, too. The point is to spotlight them. Makes no sense to have a guy no one has ever heard of before like Kingston go over Cody on his first night.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #2291
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I actually really enjoyed Dynamite last night. The Bucks/B&B match was hella fun.

This is why I like AEW - you can casually drop in and enjoy fun wrestling with action, comedy, and pop culture. WWE seems to try way too hard to make useless storylines and relies too much on forced dialogue and anemic chemistry between characters.

Looking at the women's roster, I honestly feel they are one more big addition away from having a competitive women's division to WWE. Honestly I think a big WWE name showing up would be the right thing at the moment. Someone like Sasha Banks or Alexa Bliss would be fantastic, especially for this upcoming tag tournament.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #2292
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

You look around the various IWC sites and people are almost unanimously giving Dynamite high marks. Obviously everything is subjective, but I'm wondering if it's a bit of a generation gap. Based on the demos each week, it definitely looks like AEW appeals to a younger audience, whereas WWE/NXT seems to do well with the over 50 crowd.

I think that's kind of consistent with what you see in terms of the content millennials/Gen z consume (more meta, untraditional and non-linear) vs. the content Gen x/boomers enjoy.

I don't think either is right or wrong. Like I said, it's all subjective, but might help to explain some of the different reactions.

Last edited by rubecube; 07-23-2020 at 09:16 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #2293
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

To underscore my point...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1286391497890443265
Old 07-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #2294
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I enjoyed it for the most part. The complaint about bringing in new wrestlers and having them lose right away is pretty silly too. WWE would bring up NXT wrestlers and job them out to Cena right away, too. The point is to spotlight them. Makes no sense to have a guy no one has ever heard of before like Kingston go over Cody on his first night.
Ya I dont get that at all, it's not like they are coming in and jobbing either

They are losing to top guys in fairly even matches, if anything to new fans who dont follow indy wrestling its helping them get over

It feels like they are holding back big moments for fans being back as well, dont want to waste a big surprise title change or something like cody going heel or the elite breaking up or turning on someone without that crowd
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #2295
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Most of the younger wwe fans prolly watch nxt on the network

If that raw rating keeps falling tho and AEW one week ends up beating it.... oh boy
Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #2296
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not saying I disagree with you're point, I just do think it's a factor

It's clear to everyone, even with covid being a factor and not every show being great, that AEW is on the up and WWE is definitely in a lull

Dark is going on tv later this year I believe to add a 2nd show

Having the 4 ppv a year only makes the weekly shows so much more important, whereas wwe treats so many raw and smackdown episodes as placeholders just waiting to get to the next big ppv

They have also mostly avoided signing too many bloated wwe cast offs, although I am surprised at no Rusev yet, I wonder if hes already 'signed' and they are just waiting for the crowds ans giving him time off for now

Not everything theyve done is perfect, but if you said at this time last year this is where AEW would be to cody and tony Khan they would have taken it in a second
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #2297
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Adam Cole went on The Pat McAfee Show and he ended up cussing him out and storming off. Obviously it was a work between the two to continue the feud they have going but just like Lacey Evans taping herself being rude to the cop from Edmonton who stopped her it seems alot of people are falling for it.

The interview starts at about 1:58:00 and the fight at about 02:07:00.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:10 AM   #2298
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So Adam Cole went on The Pat McAfee Show and he ended up cussing him out and storming off. Obviously it was a work between the two to continue the feud they have going but just like Lacey Evans taping herself being rude to the cop from Edmonton who stopped her it seems alot of people are falling for it.

The interview starts at about 1:58:00 and the fight at about 02:07:00.

It was painfully obvious it was a work too with the crew agreeing McAfee wasn't being condescending, when it was pretty blatant.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #2299
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Non-wrestling fans: lol u guys know its fake right?

Also non-wrestling fans: OMG did you see this wrestler? What an #######. They should be fired.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #2300
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember with Lacey Evans she even had to post a video explaining that the officer was in on it and that being an ex-military officer she has nothing but respect for the police force and the non-wrestling fans still didn't believe it was a work. They thought she was just making excuses and that she was a self-entitled American.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post: