Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #41
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Athletic just added Pierre LeBrun to their writing staff.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #42
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

They have officially launched in all Canadian cities today, hiring some writers each week to flesh out the staff. As mentioned above they added Pierre Lebrun today.

You can currently sign up at a 30% discount.

Can't wait to see the coverage the Flames will get, as the articles for other teams are top notch so far.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #43
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Can't wait to see the coverage the Flames will get, as the articles for other teams are top notch so far.
That's the only thing that's holding me back from subscribing. I want to see who they get writing Flames stuff. I like a lot of their writers... but as much as I like Dellow and Mirtle I don't want to read that much about the Leafs. If it's someone that writes new and interesting prose and analysis then I'll sign-up.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #44
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

With the success of subscription services, one has to think that this will end up basically shutting down traditional sports media completely with time.

Great to see some of the big names that were let go from ESPN and elsewhere sign up.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #45
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Success of subscription services? ESPN Insider failed big time. It works, as long as you have the quality people will pay for which ESPN failed to do. Putting a pay wall in front of content they can easily get elsewhere is the struggle this model will have.

By the sounds of it, The Athletic may have cracked the code. I am waiting to see who the Calgary writer becomes before signing up.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #46
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
With the success of subscription services, one has to think that this will end up basically shutting down traditional sports media completely with time.

Great to see some of the big names that were let go from ESPN and elsewhere sign up.
I feel like most things a lot of people will subscribe initially and then won't renew because they realize they don't care enough to pay for it. I mean I know for me personally I don't care much for media articles. I will read them if they are there but I won't pay for it. I would rather just talk to people about sports.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #47
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I feel like most things a lot of people will subscribe initially and then won't renew because they realize they don't care enough to pay for it. I mean I know for me personally I don't care much for media articles. I will read them if they are there but I won't pay for it. I would rather just talk to people about sports.
That's what auto-renew is for
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #48
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
By the sounds of it, The Athletic may have cracked the code. I am waiting to see who the Calgary writer becomes before signing up.
We'll see. I think it's found some success (so far) because they seem pretty committed to quality (judging by the talent they've hired) but I have fears that they'll expand to rapidly and dilute the product.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #49
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but this also speaks to the crud that we've historically been fed. The Athletic is about producing high quality content worth paying for. So far, I'm impressed.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, I would not pay to read powerful pierre and his friends; however, if I could read them for free I will
Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #51
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Athletic's subscription model is only successful because they consider 10,000 subscribers for the Toronto site to be a success.

In mainstream media, that number would be viewed as a bust. And that, in turn, is why subscription models are generally failures for those companies.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #52
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Athletic's subscription model is only successful because they consider 10,000 subscribers for the Toronto site to be a success.

In mainstream media, that number would be viewed as a bust. And that, in turn, is why subscription models are generally failures for those companies.
You have to wonder if that's enough to sustain the writing staff they're paying.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #53
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Success of subscription services? ESPN Insider failed big time. It works, as long as you have the quality people will pay for which ESPN failed to do. Putting a pay wall in front of content they can easily get elsewhere is the struggle this model will have.

You do realize that a lot of traditional media companies like New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal have all moved to a subscription based service and are doing very well, right?

This is the way the world is going. You can either get on board, or you can die a slow death like traditional media is.

ESPN is a crap company who is dying off like they should because they can't keep up with the times. Nobody cares what they provide. I only care that the great people they have gotten rid of(while keeping their managers with their plush jobs) actually find a place like the Athletic to keep writing the stories they want.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #54
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
It won't work unless you have good quality content, something ESPN didn't get the last few years.

Which means you need an investment in technology and people. I've heard the Athletic app is great, and I see them hiring good writers.

They are going in the right direction.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #55
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

10,000 in Toronto that are looking for hockey content isn't bad considering hockey will be far not be the biggest sport they cover. People looking for quality MLB, NFL, NBA & College Sports content will far outweigh those looking for NHL content.

People like Ken Rosenthal are joining their ranks as well which says a lot considering he is by far a top 3 MLB reporter, and has 25 plus years experience.

https://theathletic.com/86701/2017/0...-the-athletic/

Sure it could fail, but we do know that subscription news services are doing very good, and traditional media is failing.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #56
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I like about is that it has no loyalty to any teams or league as it isn't dependant on their good graces.

If their writing is high quality I could see another magazine like the original Inside Sports was before it got bought out.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #57
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

hiring some really good people. Michael Russo for the Wild, Jeremy Rutherford for the Blues.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #58
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The thing I like about is that it has no loyalty to any teams or league as it isn't dependant on their good graces.
Yes and no, I'd say. Like the Herald/Sun, whomever represents Calgary will still need to get a press pass, and any insiders - like LeBrun - will still have to play nice like they always have. Their requirement for loyalty is no different than that of any other national publication, such as the Globe and Mail.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #59
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

another deal on right now. 50% off for the next hour or so. that's $2.50 month for the first year.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #60
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ Note that the 50% off appears if you go to an article. If you go to subscribe directly it's 20% off.

On another note, Mirtle did an AMA on reddit today and mentioned that they will be announcing the rest of the Canadian writing teams in the next few days.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote