Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #961
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s always been my dream to live in a condo that was previously used to host a massive two week orgy for athletes in peak physical condition
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #962
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am 100% in and am ok with my tax dollars being used.

I trust that those involved will make the proper decisions through their analysis, debate and discord.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #963
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be OK with the ski jump events elsewhere. Canada really only needs one training location, and does it really make sense to build new ones for one time use?

If they could make them work at Nakiska by building them kind of into a steep slope there, that might be OK too. I don't think Canmore is a good idea as the cross country events alone are going to put a real strain on the town, adding another event would probably be to much.

Maybe they could do an athletes village in a converted office tower downtown. Keep them as rental units after the games, then it wouldn't have such a drag on the condo market.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #964
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say the West Village would be a good location for an Olympic Village, which is then converted into condos post-Olympics. There's ample room there.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #965
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am ok with sharing the ski jump events with Whistler. I am not okay with sharing anything with Edmonton in any way whatsoever. We're trying to have a society here man.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #966
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'd say the West Village would be a good location for an Olympic Village, which is then converted into condos post-Olympics. There's ample room there.
..and maybe a new football/soccer stadium for the opening/closing ceremonies?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #967
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I am ok with sharing the ski jump events with Whistler. I am not okay with sharing anything with Edmonton in any way whatsoever. We're trying to have a society here man.
Unless something changes drastically in the next year or two, I think you could count on Edmonton and Rogers Arena hosting Olympic Hockey if it's a multi-city bid. No way does the IOC want the Saddledome to be used as the main venue. And I doubt Vancouver gets it again so soon.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #968
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping security costs down is why the athlete's village will most-likely be built adjacent to the Stampede Grounds. Also why the Opening & Closing Ceremonies and medal ceremonies will be held at the Grandstand.

By having one large secure zone, rather than many small ones, security can be run more efficiently and cheaper.

This is what the report says about McMahon and why the Grandstand is preferred.
Quote:
Built in 1960, McMahon Stadium has a solid structure and seating capacity of 34,000. The cost for increasing capacity to 40,000 seats and bringing the stadium up to Olympic standards for the various ceremonies is estimated at $16 million (see Appendix 4] Detailed Venue Analysis: McMahon Stadium). While this cost is $9 million lower than the Grandstand improvement cost, these savings would be offset by higher security costs required at McMahon Stadium as a standalone venue. Furthermore, the Stampede Park cluster offers premium hosting facilities, as well as an opportunity to create a vibrant gathering place that will be affordable and accessible, featuring daily cultural events, sponsor activations and nightly victory ceremonies.

This is the one part of the report to Council regarding the Athlete's Village that isn't redacted. This is what leads me to believe the proposal would see the Athlete's Village built where the bus barn is in Victoria Park (otherwise, there's no reason to mention it here).
Quote:
Accommodations (Villages and Accommodations)

Figure 5.5: Villages and Accommodations - Recommended Investments (page 190) shows a total Olympic capital budget estimate of $161 million. This amount represents the net contribution required from Olympic funding after the estimates of government- funded programs such as Attainable Homes Calgary, Calgary Housing Company, Community Housing, Seniors' Lodge Program, Canada-Alberta Social Housing, and developer and mortgage-financed amounts are subtracted from total costs of $1,156 million. Notably the amounts shown in Figure 5.5 do not include costs to relocate the Victoria Park Transit Centre, per the CMLC. The cost to relocate the Victoria Park Transit Centre is $238 million. In addition to the amounts of $161 million and $238 million, we have included a contingency amount of $60 million for a total accommodations cost of $459 million or $460 million when rounded to the nearest $5 million.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #969
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Unless something changes drastically in the next year or two, I think you could count on Edmonton and Rogers Arena hosting Olympic Hockey if it's a multi-city bid. No way does the IOC want the Saddledome to be used as the main venue. And I doubt Vancouver gets it again so soon.

Why wouldn't the city get a new arena because of the Olympics though?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Actually using Whistler doesn't either, but this whole bid looks like a complete boondoggle to me to begin with.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #970
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s always been my dream to live in a condo that was previously used to host a massive two week orgy for athletes in peak physical condition
Always riding the coattails...you have to take your residuals man.

"And here you can see the indent from the Gold Medal in the wall..."

- Thats a really.....odd dent in the wall, I can see the medal impression but then that means that the feet would have to be....

"Look, it gets weird if you over-analyze it..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #971
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Carrie Tait
Verified account
@CarrieTait

Hi. IOC Olympic Games exec director Christophe Dubi just spoke with reporters. A few highlights, starting with biggies on cutting costs....#yyc #yyccc

Required venue size? That's not a thing anymore.
Space around the venue? Size can be cut.

Savings on International Broadcast Centre? Requirements like ceiling height can be modified. Ditto HVAC, etc. Does not all have to be in one building.
Energy? Requirements on redundant sources of power can but cut.

Planning events? Sport federations can cover that. Example: Golf federations can takeover golf events, rather than leaving every detail to the host cities. Reduces workforce requirements.

And speaking of workforce reductions, the major work can be crammed into the preceding four years, rather than many more leading up to a Games.

Wanna host events in cities outside the host? Go ahead!
Wanna host events outside the home country? Go for it!

Wanna eliminate events? Well, ok, no enthusiasm from the IOC on this one.

Will the IOC contribute more than the US$925-million ont eh table now? Well, no hard answer on this one. Just a comment about how negotiations are still on and the final amount will depend on that.

(So good luck with that one, Potential Host Cities).

Dooooooooooooes Calgary need a new arena to host? Meh, bidders can figure that out themselves.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #972
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why wouldn't the city get a new arena because of the Olympics though?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Actually using Whistler doesn't either, but this whole bid looks like a complete boondoggle to me to begin with.
That's the point. Unless we get a new arena - which to this point has been a boondoggle/slog at best, even with the idea of getting federal funding for the Olympics.

As much as you may not like it, Edmonton has a shiny new area way better suited for hosting Olympic hockey. Gotta give them that.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #973
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the point. Unless we get a new arena - which to this point has been a boondoggle/slog at best, even with the idea of getting federal funding for the Olympics.

As much as you may not like it, Edmonton has a shiny new area way better suited for hosting Olympic hockey. Gotta give them that.
Great. So what? Thats one piece. What if the NHL and IOC are still squabbling, they could have the nicest arena the Spengler Cup has ever seen!

Which they dont because the Arena in Davos is amazing.

There are so many more events in Winter Olympics that having a nice venue for one of them is effectively irrelevant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #974
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cities host the Olympics to showcase themselves to the world. Co-hosting with Edmonton would be like putting up an Airbnb profile of your house showing your shiftless brother-in-law's rusted out camper van parked in the driveway.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #975
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Great. So what? Thats one piece. What if the NHL and IOC are still squabbling, they could have the nicest arena the Spengler Cup has ever seen!

Which they dont because the Arena in Davos is amazing.

There are so many more events in Winter Olympics that having a nice venue for one of them is effectively irrelevant.
Ha. Time will tell. There's a reason why Edmonton has been in the conversation before, and it's not because of Rexall Place or Commonwealth Stadium. Of course, there could be other events, such as figure skating. Heck, even the U of A could host; they're getting a new arena for the Golden Bears as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #976
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The IOC delegation has already visited Sion, Switzerland and Stockholm, Sweden. They are visiting Sapporo, Japan next. Presumably, that means the USA won't be considering a bid this time around.

With the next three Olympics being held in Asia, including the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo, I can't see any way Sapporo has a chance unless they're literally the only bidder.

Stockholm has previously stated that they won't be submitting a bid, yet they're still apparently involved, so who knows.

Cities have to inform the IOC by the end of March if they are planning to proceed with a bid.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #977
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Co-hosting with Edmonton would be like putting up an Airbnb profile of your house showing your shiftless brother-in-law's rusted out camper van parked in the driveway.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #978
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can still cut out the ice dance though, right?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #979
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We can still cut out the ice dance though, right?
Only if its replaced by ski ballet
Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #980
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha. Time will tell. There's a reason why Edmonton has been in the conversation before, and it's not because of Rexall Place or Commonwealth Stadium. Of course, there could be other events, such as figure skating. Heck, even the U of A could host; they're getting a new arena for the Golden Bears as well.
Assuming Calgary also includes a twin arena with their fieldhouse, it would be about the same size and capacity as U of A's one would imagine since U of C would be using it. But when it comes to figure skating, it's one of the biggest events. I don't think an arena under, say, 8K would be suffice.

If Calgary hosts all the events, the Saddledome would still have to be used for figure skating. So even if this was a shared bid, and hockey games would occur in Edmonton, the Saddledome would still be used. Even if the IOC didn't like the quality of the venue.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post: