Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #881
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Enjoy your new channels!
The sucky part in most of Canada is lack of OTA.
Was very pleased, when I moved to montreal, to get 28 OTA channels instead of 5. Have since moved and just hooked up here in NW ruralish Chicagoland area, where first scan pulled in 103 channels.
I use TV listings and Guide Plus (android app) to view long range guides and set reminders. Highly recommended
Well, I cancelled the cable after 3 days. I had it installed on Saturday. The cable box was okay when first installed but about an hour later developed a very loud, constant hum whether it was on or off. It was loud enough that I could hear it upstairs in the house.

So today I brought the box back on my lunch, got a new one and installed it when I got home. It didn't hum but would randomly go into a constant play/pause loop with a loud tick tock noise. And sometimes it would make the fast tick tock noise and start scrolling through the channels.

So I called and cancelled, reconnected my antenna and the Roku. It was only $4 extra a month to add the cable to my bundle but it's been a frustrating few days with it and I can't keep bringing the boxes back until I get one that works. It's a PITA.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #882
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I just ordered some new equipment to stream/record OTA onto Plex.

Can't wait for it to arrive!
well? Im thinking of doing the same. How was your experience and what equipment did you buy? Would you do anything different?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #883
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
For $4/month extra over the next 2 years I decided to reconnect. They are coming out on Saturday for the install. Last night I was going through the channel options because they allow me to swap channels I don't want for ones I do. It was pretty depressing going through and seeing what shows are on each channel. Since when did Travel+Escape start airing Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed? SIGH. At least I'll only be out $4/month.
what does $4 extra mean? What is your total bill for the package if you dont mind me asking?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #884
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
well? Im thinking of doing the same. How was your experience and what equipment did you buy? Would you do anything different?
Sorry I am on my phone, so the links are a bit ugly.

I ordered these parts

https://www.amazon.ca/Hauppauge-WinT.../dp/B015IL0FIW

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01E6U...d_i=B01E6U9BYK

My Plex server is fairly old, with a Q6600 and at first I was concerned about the CPU power needed to record, but in the end it works fine. I don't record a lot of stuff, mostly because I don't get a lot of stations where I live.

I use MCBuddy to strip the commercials, and it is all automated. The biggest issue is that the files come out huge (about 6gb for the ~43mins). If my server was more powerful, or I needed to keep the shows around longer, I would use something like Handbrake to reduce the size. The quality is really high at its current size, though.

I want to do a larger in-attic antenna array, as I am borderline on being able to record an extra station (Global I think?) at my place, but it will have to wait until I have enough time to get up there and get it done and run the coax to my basement, where I will be able to split it out to the coax around my house. Also, want to pick up a more powerful Plex server that can handle the load for my usual playback usage (1-2 transcoding + 1-2 direct streams) in addition to the DVR Recording, MCBuddy, and Handbrake loads.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably see about finding a tuner that didn't strain my server so much, by doing some of the work itself. I think the HomeRun tuners do this, but cost 2-3 times as much IIRC.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #885
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
what does $4 extra mean? What is your total bill for the package if you dont mind me asking?
Internet+Phone = $125+tax/month
Internet+Phone+Cable = $129+tax/month (for 2 years and then goes to $169).

I ended up cancelling after 3 days and just going back to Internet+Phone (see post at top of this page).

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #886
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rathji, can you automate Handbrake re-codes or would you have to queue all the files yourself? You've got a very slick set-up going. Can Plex DVR content that isn't OTA? Like from a cable feed?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #887
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Rathji, can you automate Handbrake re-codes or would you have to queue all the files yourself? You've got a very slick set-up going. Can Plex DVR content that isn't OTA? Like from a cable feed?
I am sure you can use a tuner to record from a cable tuner and just dump it into a folder for processing for Plex. I have not looked into it in a while though, as I have not had cable in a few years. Plex DVR might also have this support as well, and if it does, then option 1 below is going to be the easiest by far.

As far as automating Handbrake, you can certainly do it, here are a couple methods that might be relavent:

1) Plex DVR will let you run a post processing script, and then you just use a batch file with the Handbrake cmd line in it.

2) If Plex DVR won't support from cable, or if you are using another program to record/get the files, the basic idea is have a folder that is monitored and when the files go in there from whatever your record from cable/ota/whatever it runs that same script.

Relevant links:

Handbrake CLI Documentation

Also potentially useful:

Windows Task Scheduler
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #888
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a brilliant new device from Channel Master.

Channel Master Introduces New Android TV-Based DVR for Cord Cutters

Quote:
The company’s new Stream+ is an Android TV-based streaming device that doubles as a DVR for over-the-air television. The device will start shipping early next year for an introductory price of $99.
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...vr-1202645005/

8 pre ordered one. A solid android box with built in TV tuner/DVR plus 2 week guide? Yes please.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #889
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered one as well.

Does anyone use any of their antennas? I have the flat one, but it doesn't get the best signal in my house.

I was thinking about trying the stealth model and putting it in my attic but I'm not sure if it will work.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #890
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I assume that price of $99 is USD. Did they charge you anything extra for shipping to Canada?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #891
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken: Shipping was $15.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #892
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

So with plex... is there a way to use an ipad to scroll through my list of movies/TV shows and then when I click the movie it plays on the selected TV?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #893
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
So with plex... is there a way to use an ipad to scroll through my list of movies/TV shows and then when I click the movie it plays on the selected TV?
What do you have hooked up to the TV? Chromecast or Airplay to Apple TV both work.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #894
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Roku right now. But am planning a home theatre build and just thought it’d be cool to use the iPad as like an interactive remote.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #895
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Figured it out haha
Old 01-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #896
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like a brilliant new device from Channel Master.

Channel Master Introduces New Android TV-Based DVR for Cord Cutters

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...vr-1202645005/

8 pre ordered one. A solid android box with built in TV tuner/DVR plus 2 week guide? Yes please.
Any clue on when these ship?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #897
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Any clue on when these ship?
No. I haven't heard or seen anything on these yet. I will keep you posted if I hear anything. Supposed to be coming in Jan. I might try to track this down and see if I can get an update.

Yikes. Just got off phone with them. He suggested shipping mid February. This disappoints me

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 01-22-2018 at 01:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #898
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. I haven't heard or seen anything on these yet. I will keep you posted if I hear anything. Supposed to be coming in Jan. I might try to track this down and see if I can get an update.

Yikes. Just got off phone with them. He suggested shipping mid February. This disappoints me
We basically bought a Kickstarter so I'm not that fussed.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #899
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
We basically bought a Kickstarter so I'm not that fussed.
Yeah. You're right. I just wanted my new toy for the super bowl party I'm hosting. My new projector doesn't have a built in tuner, so this was supposed to take care of that. Plan B now.

BTW, this is what is now new information on the website, so I guess it's good we got in early as is!
Quote:
Special introductory price. Pre-order now. If you placed a pre-order prior to January 5th, 2018, your Stream+ will ship by mid-February. Pre-orders placed after January 4th, 2018, will ship in the month of April 2018.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #900
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got this email update from Channelmaster

Quote:
Thank you for your pre-order of the exciting new Stream+ from Channel Master! Initial inventory was scheduled to be in our Phoenix warehouse by the end of January. Unfortunately the shipment has been delayed and we now expect initial inventory to arrive by the end of February.

Original shipping window: End of January
New shipping window: End of February

You will receive an email confirmation with a tracking number when your order ships.

We know how disappointing it can be to anticipate the arrival of something, only to be told that it will be delayed. We sincerely apologize for any frustration this may cause. Stream+ popularity has exceeded our expectations (initial inventory is 100% sold out!) and we are very excited to introduce the product to North America. Stream+ is the first Android TV product worldwide with internal TV tuners that is available direct to consumers at retail rather than through a pay-TV operator.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have specific questions regarding your order, please contact our customer service team at 1-877-746-7261 M-F 8am to 5pm AZ Time.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: