Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #61
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
What kind of things were you trying? I need to wait until Christmas before I can start putting together my system
I went through the IFTTT applets, didn't see anything that seemed very useful.

Tried to add my google calendar. It kept saying that my calendar was restricted and to unrestrict it through the Alexa app (but there wasn't any clear way to un-restrict it, nor is my google calendar app restricted in any way).

About all I found it useful for was listening to music and setting timers for cooking times. That didn't seem like a worthwhile reason to let the NSA listen to my every word, so I ditched her.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #62
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
My brother surprised me with the Echo Plus and Hue bulb last night. The app (Android) seems pretty buggy in that it wont accept my Canadian address, it just resets back to the default Washington one. I read there is a web login available so I'll try that when I get home.

Can do some pretty cool things so far.
Off topic, but integrating hue bulbs into a gentle alarm wake up via the app sleep alarm is awesome.

I've been interested in these smart hubs, but I'm still waiting thus far.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #63
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Amazon has really missed the mark here in Canada with the Echo. Pretty much everything I bought mine to do doesn't work.

Can't connect and control my fire Tvs
Can't connect and control my vivint alarm system (this could be vivints fault though)

From the sounds of it lots of issues with skills in Canada hopefully they get this fixed but knowing Amazon it won't
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #64
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So Amazon has really missed the mark here in Canada with the Echo. Pretty much everything I bought mine to do doesn't work.

Can't connect and control my fire Tvs
Can't connect and control my vivint alarm system (this could be vivints fault though)

From the sounds of it lots of issues with skills in Canada hopefully they get this fixed but knowing Amazon it won't
Wow that is surprising. I would think with Google home the same price and can control chromecast they would match feature sets.

There is a vivent skill however. Does that not work?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #65
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Wow that is surprising. I would think with Google home the same price and can control chromecast they would match feature sets.

There is a vivent skill however. Does that not work?
They can control it just not in Canada yet only in the states. The vivint app that works currently is just the skill that allows you to access your smart devices like my front door lock. I can lock it but I can’t unlock it yet. Something America has been able to do for a while. I just had 2 skills become available so it’s getting better but I really want fire tv control.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #66
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The reason for the lack of skills is because of the requirement in Canada to have bilingual support. Most are working on adding it but it will take time and cost so they won't all make the cut.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #67
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
The reason for the lack of skills is because of the requirement in Canada to have bilingual support. Most are working on adding it but it will take time and cost so they won't all make the cut.
No it’s not. If that where true, the UK and India would have the same skills as the US which they don’t. Alexa supports English (CA, US, UK, IN), German, and Japanese languages and accents, no French. The skill developer simply needs to resubmit their skill with additional language support.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #68
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I just learned that you can ask Alexa to pair, then it makes your echo available as a Bluetooth speaker.

That’s super handy!

Tags
amazon , echo