Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #21
KevanGuy
Been There, Banned That

Exp:

Welcome to the board folks. The number of people that have signed up today is a great indication that this was a smart move for the Flames. I think we only had one poster from Lowell and one from Omaha (thanks for everything Clint, I hope you are able to take some road trips).

Many posters here are very interested in the ongoings on the farm so please keep us as updated as you can.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #22
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

I also like how Calgary has already proved they're dedicated to the QC area. During the last high school football season, a local player broke his neck and is paralized from the neck down for the rest of his life as a result. The Mallards raised $10,000 for him. Well, today was when his house was special house was built by Habitat for Humanity. During the press conference, Ken King announced that the Flames would be matching that $10,000 raised by the Mallards. That really impressed me.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #23
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
I also like how Calgary has already proved they're dedicated to the QC area. During the last high school football season, a local player broke his neck and is paralized from the neck down for the rest of his life as a result. The Mallards raised $10,000 for him. Well, today was when his house was special house was built by Habitat for Humanity. During the press conference, Ken King announced that the Flames would be matching that $10,000 raised by the Mallards. That really impressed me.
That's typical of the Flames organization. They've always been very philanthropic.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #24
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
During the press conference, Ken King announced that the Flames would be matching that $10,000 raised by the Mallards. That really impressed me.
Ken King is a great business leader for the Flames, I don't think I've ever meet anyone as enthused and as hard working about what he does. The word class act gets thrown around alot, but Ken King and co. are truely class acts. Just my little sidebar there.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #25
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Welcome to the board folks. The number of people that have signed up today is a great indication that this was a smart move for the Flames. I think we only had one poster from Lowell and one from Omaha (thanks for everything Clint, I hope you are able to take some road trips).

Many posters here are very interested in the ongoings on the farm so please keep us as updated as you can.
This is exactly what QC hockey needed. I've heard from quite a few people already that they're coming back. The ownership group here is dedicated to their fans. The most obvious proof of that is the fact that ticket prices will go down from last year - my season ticket(I sit in the lower bowl, three rows off the glass) is $380. That's under 10 bucks a game for AHL hockey. There's not a better deal around, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
my season ticket(I sit in the lower bowl, three rows off the glass) is $380. That's under 10 bucks a game for AHL hockey. There's not a better deal around, as far as I'm concerned.
Way to be a hockey fan without breaking the budget...

Calgary Hitmen seasons tickets aren't even that low.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NSFL; 05-24-2007 at 09:55 PM.
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #27
ichbincarrie
Draft Pick

Quote:
I am from the quad Cities as well. This is a great place to live. As for Travis hearn (the injured player) i also am really impressed. This is really a great community. if people want to read the story in Hearn, they can go to www.qctimes.com .

I can not wait for the season to begin
ichbincarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
jdoggivjc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's great welcoming the Flames to the community!

I'm not sure you'll ever QUITE convert me from the TB Lightning (and I'll prolly get a lot of flack for that, but I've been a fan since day 1), But it's more than likely a Calgary Flames jersey is now entering my wardrobe (and my wife will probably proudly wear it at nite... )

It's a little sad we won't be carrying on the Mallards name, but new team, new tradition!

So long Quad City Mallards
Welcome home Quad City Flames
Charter member of BEERUS
(Since 2003)
jdoggivjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #29
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welcome aboard QC crew. You don't have any silly habits like spelling your city or state name backwards do you? HATED that about Omaha. Welcome to the fantastic world of Flames hockey, albeit the pre-Flames variety. By the sounds of things, it seems like the baby Flames have landed in a great spot. Here's looking forward to a great relationship between the fans and the QC and a kick-butt first season.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #30
jdoggivjc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Welcome aboard QC crew. You don't have any silly habits like spelling your city or state name backwards do you? HATED that about Omaha. Welcome to the fantastic world of Flames hockey, albeit the pre-Flames variety. By the sounds of things, it seems like the baby Flames have landed in a great spot. Here's looking forward to a great relationship between the fans and the QC and a kick-butt first season.
About all you'll see is QC, and from time to time D-port. That's about it (you gotta keep in mind that the Omaha crew was from Nebraska. They're a little )

Charter member of BEERUS
(Since 2003)
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #31
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Nope, can't say that we will be known as the Quad City Enilom Flames. By the way, Biff, I'm stealing your sig and using it as my own

Crap, I just thought of something ... I'm going to have to get the Center Ice package next year to watch Flames.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #32
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, can't say that we will be known as the Quad City Enilom Flames. By the way, Biff, I'm stealing your sig and using it as my own
Help yourself. Share and share alike, I always say.

Also, glad that Enilom is right out.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye View Post
I just can't imagine how you could have formed such an opinion.

Is now a good time to mention how much J.D. Watt sucks, or should I wait until the next QC Flames thread?
Today's a day for official howdy-dos. We"ve got company, Dear.

Tomorrow we can go back to our regularly-scheduled throat-throttling.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #34
Teal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The only thing as far as the name goes is that alot of people use "Quad City"
like a plural. EX "What are they doing in Quad City?" Or " We are going to take a road trip to Quad City"

intotheboards.net/forums
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #35
jdoggivjc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
The only thing as far as the name goes is that alot of people use "Quad City"
like a plural. EX "What are they doing in Quad City?" Or " We are going to take a road trip to Quad City"
It's "Quad Cities" when you refer to the cities (Davenport & Bettendorf, Iowa and Moline & Rock Island, Illinois) or the metro area as a whole, but all of the organizations in the Quad Cities, such as Flames, Mallards, Steamwheelers, the botanical center, etc., uses "Quad City" (well, except for the Swing of the Quad Cities, our baseball team, but 5 years later all of us are still pissed that they changed it from the Quad City River Bandits, the #1 marketed minor league baseball logo in the United States)

So, you would never say "We're going to Quad City." It would be "We're going to the Quad Cities."

Hope that clarifies it...

Charter member of BEERUS
(Since 2003)
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #36
jdoggivjc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Today's a day for official howdy-dos. We"ve got company, Dear.

Tomorrow we can go back to our regularly-scheduled throat-throttling.
Sorry about that... I've visited Omaha before and it's a very nice city. That being said, if you've ever seen the movie Annapolis, where what's his name says "You're my Mississippi. I'm from Arkansas, and the only thing that prevents Arkansas from being the worst state in the whole United States is Mississippi." It's one of those kind of things...

And I never meant to rip on the guy from Omaha (sorry, haven't learned your name yet, I'm horrible with names, but I'll learn it ASAP). I'm not mean spirited by nature. Just very sarcastic and facetious.

Charter member of BEERUS
(Since 2003)
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #37
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahhhh....so as a geographical destination, it is Quad Cities but as a descriptor for a proper name, Quad City is both acceptable and more common. In the same way that, as a destination, it's Edmonton but as a descriptor for a proper name it's ######bags.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #38
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Great to see so many new members! Remember folks we LOVE to hear about the kids on the farm. If you have news/observations - post them! The more the better!
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #39
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
Sorry about that... I've visited Omaha before and it's a very nice city. That being said, if you've ever seen the movie Annapolis, where what's his name says "You're my Mississippi. I'm from Arkansas, and the only thing that prevents Arkansas from being the worst state in the whole United States is Mississippi." It's one of those kind of things...

And I never meant to rip on the guy from Omaha (sorry, haven't learned your name yet, I'm horrible with names, but I'll learn it ASAP). I'm not mean spirited by nature. Just very sarcastic and facetious.
I'm pretty sure they're not talking about you.

The members like to get into heated arguments. And I think Reggie likes to poke wild animals for fun. It's darned fun to watch, I tell ya!

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #40
jdoggivjc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ahhhh....so as a geographical destination, it is Quad Cities but as a descriptor for a proper name, Quad City is both acceptable and more common. In the same way that, as a destination, it's Edmonton but as a descriptor for a proper name it's ######bags.

man, every second i'm been on this board i'm more and more glad the new local ownership decided to pass on the oilers and wait and finally agreed to go with the flames. you guy's crack my s*** up!!!

Charter member of BEERUS
(Since 2003)