Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Eric Roy - do we sign him?

Haven't heard any news on this recently and with June 1 fast approaching, wonder if we will sign 5th round pick in 2013 Eric Roy.

Appears to have had a good playoff run and has decent size and skill, I know consistency/hockey IQ was a question mark.

Bit of a backlog in Stockton, but can we sign him and start him in the ECHL in order to get playing time? Or is he not well thought of by the Flames and we let him walk?

Any insight on what the future holds for him out there?
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kind of on the fence with him. He has the size and offensive abilities that are lacking, but he hasn't been exactly great in his own zone. If the Flames signed him, I wouldn't be disappointed and if they opted not to, similarly, I wouldn't be disappointed.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I'm kind of on the fence with him. He has the size and offensive abilities that are lacking, but he hasn't been exactly great in his own zone. If the Flames signed him, I wouldn't be disappointed and if they opted not to, similarly, I wouldn't be disappointed.
Do you think he would make a decent forward?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has some excellent offensive abilities, so it might not be a bad idea. If they decided to sign him, I could see him spending some time up front like they did with Sieloff.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

One thing to consider is that he himself perhaps refuses to sign to go to another organization that isn't so log jammed.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we sign him, he has some good tools but I'd like to see him show some more aggresion. Spending some time in the ECHL is fine for a young defenceman.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's one of those guys that you can talk yourself INTO or OUT OF signing him.

He was pretty good for Brandon down the stretch, but he was 21.
He doesn't really fit what the Flames are looking for, in terms of guys that can jump into the rush, but he's a decent distributor of the puck.
His defensive game isn't great, but he's got a good shot from the point.

I just don't see where he would fit in Stockton, and I don't know if he would want to sign to play in the ECHL.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 AM   #8
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For some reason, every bit of news about Roy makes him seem like the dman equivalent of Coda Gordon. Anyone else get those vibes?
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #9
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
He's one of those guys that you can talk yourself INTO or OUT OF signing him.

He was pretty good for Brandon down the stretch, but he was 21.
He doesn't really fit what the Flames are looking for, in terms of guys that can jump into the rush, but he's a decent distributor of the puck.
His defensive game isn't great, but he's got a good shot from the point.

I just don't see where he would fit in Stockton, and I don't know if he would want to sign to play in the ECHL.
It's like he checks half the boxes perfectly and the other half are practically non-existent. It was a good pick in the fifth round because if he was able to figure out the non-existent parts of his game he would be a good player. That hasn't really happened though, which it should have by now.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
That hasn't really happened though, which it should have by now.
There's been some progress though, hasn't there? Or is that just fool's gold from playing with Provorov?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we re-sign him. When he was drafted, he was originally touted to be a 1st round pick, but quickly fell as time went on. I honestly thought he might be a diamond in the rough. He'd just need the proper guidance to live up to his potential. I think he can still make it, so I hope the Flames don't give up on him.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
There's been some progress though, hasn't there? Or is that just fool's gold from playing with Provorov?
He's mostly been playing second pairing minutes with Colton Waltz this season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:58 AM   #13
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's still only 20 and has some tremendous physical gifts. He's great on the offensive side of the puck and is a pretty big guy at 6'3", 207lbs.

He needed to show some improvement on the defensive side of the puck and I would think putting up a +31 this season suggests he's improved a bit over his previous 2 seasons' totals (-9, -32).

I suppose a lot depends on his attitude and how much Treliving & co feel he is capable of improving. Is he a player that is willing to take advice and work on his weaknesses? If so he could become a pretty decent NHL defenseman.

It would seem a waste to let a defensive prospect like him walk for nothing, but then again we do have a tonne of picks in the upcoming draft. If Treliving thinks he'll draft 2, 3 or 4 better defensive prospects in the first 3 rounds this year then maybe there's some logic in letting him walk and not wasting a contract on him.

Tough call. I would lean towards signing him.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched him play in Brandon a while back and thought he looked good. He assisted on a Klimchuk goal so as a Flames fan I went home happy.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we sign him, he likely plays in the ECHL next season, unless he bypasses players on the depth chart now. But if he plays there next season, barring a couple of players graduating to the NHL, or trading away d prospects, he is stuck. Right now in terms of defence prospects it is quantity over quality, and it makes more sense to draft some new guys who have time to grow, keep the 5-6 you like the most, then try to develop them. Roy would be below Wotherspoon, Ramage, Culkin, Kulak, Sieloff and Kanzig. And Hickey could be pro after next season, Rafikov over here in 2, and so on. Every team has middling prospects, so the only way one gets traded would be as a throw in. Maybe they are trying for a trade, adding a guy like Culkin or Kulak to Raymond in a package? Unless someone else goes, Roy can't come in and get real development over an ELC.
He is a victim of the numbers game, and the flames are now at the point of having to find quality rather than stockpiling prospects
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nope
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 8h8 hours ago The #Flames have elected not to sign defenceman Eric Roy. He will re-enter the #NHLDraft.

looks like not resigned

nvrmind see it's mentioned in other thread
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote