Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 07:47 PM   #2201
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I still don't get why people are shocked at this. Coming into the season there was a ton of uncertainty around almost every position. Arguably Bo was the only one not questionable. And he's not lived up to it this year. So anyway, with that much uncertainty it was a challenge to live up to a decent record.

I predicted 3 months in Atkins would be replaced. The team's done worse than most could've imagined, so I'm pretty surprised he's made it to this point. If I'm a season ticket holder I'm screaming right now to get rid of Atkins. It starts from him for putting this pile of crap together.
Gms in most sports but especially baseball don't get let go midseason.
The time was the offseason, but when Ohtani became even a slight possibility, no way Atkins, even if he was on the block, was going anywhere to show the instability of the Jays to the top free agents of all time.
I don't think he was on the block.
With trade deadlines and all the logistics around the team and a GM, the successor has to be waiting in the wings as an internal candidate and ready to go, no interim GM. Or an experienced GM that has existing relationship around the league. Not out of the question but considering how connected at the hip him and Shapiro are, I would be surprised if he's done until the offseason.

At worst, Atkins stays but all his decisions flow internally through others the rest of this year.

Schendier will be gone by early June if the Jays wallow through this next two weeks and .500 or worse. Then see how the next month goes in advance of the deadline to figure out who stays and goes player wise before the deadline. Atkins likely not to have full authority to make moves, especially big ones, though.

Last edited by browna; 05-21-2024 at 07:50 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 08:08 PM   #2202
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol the white Sox suck but the pitcher they faced today is damn good and does that to a lot of teams lately.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 08:14 PM   #2203
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, so much for turning winning to in a row into a streak.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:25 PM   #2204
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Lol the white Sox suck but the pitcher they faced today is damn good and does that to a lot of teams lately.
Sure but he's given up home runs in all but one of his starts, too. Well, make it two, now.
2 hits.
Kickuchi another 6+ innings and 3 runs or less. Richards great, two batters, two strikeouts. Mayza, a walk and a 2 run double before he could get 1 out.

Said before even last year is that this team needs a respected leader. Sure you have vets like Gausman who speaks out, about his own game but that is it. Turner and Vogleback are vets and nice guys, like Keirmeier. Vladdy lost his DR friends.

But not sure who that is but they need a guy to light a fire under some guys, maybe some harsh words for teammates now and again, but also able to back it up through his play or previous experience...basically a captian of the team that's fully respected because I don't think one exists now and the team, last year and this, seems just to be drifting at sea.

Last edited by browna; 05-21-2024 at 08:30 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:38 PM   #2205
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you constantly defend this ####ty team?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:04 PM   #2206
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Haha

Some of you act like you're letting it ruin your life that the Jays are struggling.

Anyways, if some scrub shuts them down I get the frustration but a good pitcher like today? Lmao

What did everyone expect was going to happen? The comments come across like people are shocked
Old 05-21-2024, 09:42 PM   #2207
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha

Some of you act like you're letting it ruin your life that the Jays are struggling.

Anyways, if some scrub shuts them down I get the frustration but a good pitcher like today? Lmao

What did everyone expect was going to happen? The comments come across like people are shocked
I’ve called this team poorly constructed numerous times. I’m not surprised at the results.

I am surprised that they haven’t done anything all year about the problems.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:45 PM   #2208
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why u heff to be mad? It's only game
Old 05-21-2024, 10:16 PM   #2209
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Worst part for us fans is just how boring they are. It's not this season is full of exciting games with lots of runs and they're losing a few here and there. It's just so incredibly boring.
Yeah. I watched the 10 minute highlight recap on the sportsnet app (was at my son's little league game coaching during this one) and they didn't even have 10 minutes of interesting plays to show. Tons of it was like "IKF hits a routine ground ball to the SS and is thrown out at first".

My kid's game was way more exciting - he hit a 3 run home run!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 07:46 AM   #2210
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Haha

Not gonna lie, after a disastrous Flames season, I was really looking forward to watching the Jays and expecting some level of success.

This is quite bitter for a lot of us and yeah, being my only kind of entertainment given I have two young kids and not a ton of free time.. does impact my happiness a bit.
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:33 AM   #2211
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you have to freak out every game?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:40 AM   #2212
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve called this team poorly constructed numerous times. I’m not surprised at the results.

I am surprised that they haven’t done anything all year about the problems.
I second this, had the same concern last season. In terms of the offense

I assumed they would be an .500 team or so

In terms of next steps, I would guess no changes until late June.

If they are still struggling, they might sell off some of the players
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:48 AM   #2213
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The three year evolution of this team is quite something to behold TBH.

2022: Too one dimensional, bad defense, great offense but overly reliant on the HR, poor pitching (Berrios and Kikuchi both had poor seasons)
2023: Good pitching, good defense, average hitting
2024: Great pitching, good defense, terrible offense

It's actually kind of funny looking at this thread - https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...=189696&page=2 - most people actually were saying moving on from Teo or Gurriel was needed.

In the end the return on those deals is more the issue, but the managment team did what a lot of fans and media were calling for at the time...improve the defense and pitching/bullpen at the expense of the bats...they just overrotated on that and the trades they made were questionable.

The one telling thing though is it's three seasons now where Vlad hasn't been able to figure out his launch angle issues...I can't believe this team is hesitant to try a new batting coach (or even just try to bring Dante Bichette back).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-22-2024 at 10:01 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote