Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #661
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

we're more metal than the US

suck it!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #662
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's TIME!!

From Wintersun's website (luckily I checked today and what do you know, new news!_

"Hello friends!

Time for some album(s) news. Wintersun's "Time" is going to be two albums, titled TIME I & TIME II. We made this decision simply because of few reasons:

- All the 80min of material wonŽt fit on a regular CD and we didnŽt want to cut anything out.

- We want you to be able to hear new material sooner and not wait any longer and we want to go on tour sooner.

- The music is very full and complex, so listening this kind of "hard listening (not easy listening)" material straight for 80 minutes is a bit too much (even for me). Both albums will be approx. nice 40 min epic packages of fireworks.

- We like the idea of releasing two albums within one year, so the band will stay more visible longer, which is important in these "modern times". No more years of silence for us!

We hope youŽll approve our new little "plan" and support us when the "Time" comes!

The tracklisting for TIME I looks like this:

TIME I

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and IŽll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. WeŽll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

We canŽt wait for you guys to hear TIME I material and play it to you live! Have a great summer!

Jari & Wintersun boys"

YES!!! So we'll hopefully get Time I in September/October and then Time II [hopefully] early 2013.

Last edited by 3 Justin 3; 05-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #663
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
It's TIME!!

From Wintersun's website (luckily I checked today and what do you know, new news!_

"Hello friends!

Time for some album(s) news. Wintersun's "Time" is going to be two albums, titled TIME I & TIME II. We made this decision simply because of few reasons:

- All the 80min of material wonŽt fit on a regular CD and we didnŽt want to cut anything out.

- We want you to be able to hear new material sooner and not wait any longer and we want to go on tour sooner.

- The music is very full and complex, so listening this kind of "hard listening (not easy listening)" material straight for 80 minutes is a bit too much (even for me). Both albums will be approx. nice 40 min epic packages of fireworks.

- We like the idea of releasing two albums within one year, so the band will stay more visible longer, which is important in these "modern times". No more years of silence for us!

We hope youŽll approve our new little "plan" and support us when the "Time" comes!

The tracklisting for TIME I looks like this:

TIME I

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and IŽll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. WeŽll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

We canŽt wait for you guys to hear TIME I material and play it to you live! Have a great summer!

Jari & Wintersun boys"

YES!!! So we'll hopefully get Time I in September/October and then Time II [hopefully] early 2013.
Oh hell yes! I also approve of Jari's use of "Time" in his update lol.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #664
rabenson000
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A couple new releases Devin Townsend's "By A Thread Live In London" will be coming out June 19th. I bought the pre order for 45 bucks 5 cd's and 4 dvd's that's not a bad deal.

The new cd from Ihsahn "Eremita" will be coming out June 19th

And Nile has a new cd "At The Gate Of Sethu" will be coming out July 3rd
rabenson000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rabenson000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #665
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys might get a chuckle out of this.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2012/05/29...enn-story.html
Metallica: We can't afford a break

Band tour due to royalty cuts
Quote:
Metallica are under pressure to keep touring continuously as they no longer receive regular royalty cheques to sustain them during their time off, according to guitarist Kirk Hammett.
The rocker admits all his bandmates would like to take a break to spend time with their families, but the band has to continue working to keep the money rolling in.
He tells Rolling Stone magazine, "The cycles of taking two years off don't exist anymore. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice but not the way it used to be - a cheque every three months.
"We've been a live band, we've had to get out there and play, play, play... nowadays that was the area we wanted to kind of lay back on a little bit, and kind of enjoy our families and things. But, you know, it is what it is, and we can't change that."
Poor guys
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #666
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I call BS on so many levels. They make millions on each tour. How about instead of blowing it all at once, put some away and save.

No sympathy from me. I'll give sympathy to bands who haven't had 100 million records sold and aren't a household name who have to play clubs for 10 years to stay afloat.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #667
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminded me of the Camp Chaos skits.

Warning: Language NSFW
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #668
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Last edited by Tyler12; 06-24-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #669
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Todd La Torre is the new lead vocalist of Queensryche.

Lots of drama the last couple of months. Sounds like Wilton will finally get to take the band in a heavier direction.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #670
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I call BS on so many levels.
I do too which is why I think the comment is taken out of context. They're not just a band anymore. They're a business with employees to pay even when they aren't touring.

http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/05/22/metallica-money/

Quote:
Discussing the band's upcoming Orion Music + More festival, Hammett tells writer David Fricke: "Whenever we go on these kinds of endeavors, it's never to make money," laughed the guitar deity. "We want it to be fun and exciting. Maybe break even. Or lose money. Whatever. It's not a financial thing. We're trying to come up with something cool."
Quote:
Later in the interview, Fricke asked Hammett if Metallica finances their state of the art studio in Northern California with their proceeds from touring: "Yeah. The merchandise. We basically take funds from wherever we can. This is a real luxury. But great things come out of this," said Hammett.

The guitarist also told the writer that the band have to hit the touring circuit to pay their huge overhead: "The cycles of taking two years off don't exist anymore. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice but not the way it used to be -- a check every three months."
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #671
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Guitar deity and Hammett are two things that should never go together. I like a lot of his solos, but the guy is THE most over-rated guitarist. Ask most true musicians and they will tell you he isn't really that good of a guitarist. He could be, but he loves the Wah pedal and Pentatonic scale too much to do anything creative.

If it weren't for James Hetfield Metallica would be no where. It's funny how one really really good musician can take 2 other mediocre/bad musicians really far.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #672
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Todd La Torre is the new lead vocalist of Queensryche.

Lots of drama the last couple of months. Sounds like Wilton will finally get to take the band in a heavier direction.

For those interested:

The drama is apparently (unconfirmed) that a month or two ago, Tate overheard the other band members talking about firing him backstage at a show. Tate proceeded to threaten Rockenfield with a knife and I believe punched out one of the other members. So they decided to fire him a few days ago (Tate was not actually a founding member despite being the only singer....DeGarmo and the other three remaining members were the band founders).

Now that makes a great story but I suspect the real reason for the firing and what the conversation was about that Tate supposedly overheard was about Tate's committment to the band and if I had to guess, Tate using the band name and "fame" to promote and profit from individual ventures such as his wine business etc. Tate has a solo album coming out soon I believe. it likely didn't help that his wife managed the band etc...

It will be interesting to see where they go. Tate and DeGarmo were the main contributors to songwriting and when DeGarmo left the music went downhill. Now the main lyricist is gone.

Last edited by ernie; 06-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #673
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guitar deity and Hammett are two things that should never go together. I like a lot of his solos, but the guy is THE most over-rated guitarist. Ask most true musicians and they will tell you he isn't really that good of a guitarist. He could be, but he loves the Wah pedal and Pentatonic scale too much to do anything creative.

If it weren't for James Hetfield Metallica would be no where. It's funny how one really really good musician can take 2 other mediocre/bad musicians really far.
Mike Portnoy would disagree with you about Lars even though he's had harsh things to say about Metallica at times. Lars gets sloppy because he no longer keeps himself sharp, but he is one of the most important and influential drummers ever and from the late 80's through a good chunk of the 90's was very good. And no that isn't an exaggeration. When they started making money hand over fist he began to rest on his laurels as did the rest of the band to be honest. He also seems to be getting better again and practicing again.

Last edited by ernie; 06-25-2012 at 12:16 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #674
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

lol, ok
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #675
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He could be, but he loves the Wah pedal and Pentatonic scale too much to do anything creative.
You know, I was listening to some Hendrix the other day and thought the same thing. So overrated what with those pentatonics.

Scales are tools. If you can use simple tools that the audience is familiar with to express yourself and connect with them, that's pretty effective artisanship, and creative in its own right.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #676
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a few friends who play guitar and it's almost a second hobby bashing Hammett. Indeed the criticisms leveled at him include excessive use of the wah pedal in solo's and his lack of contribution to the band in terms of songwriting. It also doesn't help that he's the 3rd best guitarist Metallica has had. Kirk is a good, not great guitarist, and yes 3Justin3 is 100% correct when he says Metallica wouldn't be anywhere with James, the best rhythm guitarist of all time and primary composer of Metallica.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #677
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Big fan of The Agonist here, they just released their 3rd album Prisoners. It is a fantastic album, check it out.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #678
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metallica has no business being in a Metal thread in this day and age. They have not been Metal since And Justice For All.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #679
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I have a few friends who play guitar and it's almost a second hobby bashing Hammett. Indeed the criticisms leveled at him include excessive use of the wah pedal in solo's and his lack of contribution to the band in terms of songwriting. It also doesn't help that he's the 3rd best guitarist Metallica has had. Kirk is a good, not great guitarist, and yes 3Justin3 is 100% correct when he says Metallica wouldn't be anywhere with James, the best rhythm guitarist of all time and primary composer of Metallica.
The greatest thing Metallica ever accomplished as a band was to cut loose Dave Mustaine which gave us the awesome gift of Megadeth.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #680
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

listen to Dyers Eve and try to tell me that isn't one of the most impressive pieces of drumming in music up to that point. sure he's a bit of a douchnozzel now, but Lars was one of the most important pioneers in metal behind the skins (even if he can't play that song live anymore)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: