Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #921
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
I’m the same as you. When you watch it from the start you think it’s some weird hipster comedy, there is just something about this show, I just finished season 4 and can’t wait to start 5. A lot of heart to this crazy ass family.

PS... It’s ok it’s his Sister, makes me laugh just thinking about it.
https://twitter.com/jarettsays/statu...715128837?s=21
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #922
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Clever and stupid in equal measure, Taskmaster is the ideal quarantine show

https://tv.avclub.com/clever-and-stu...e-i-1842787137

This show has been recommended a few times, by myself and others, but I can't give it enough praise. You can watch the first five seasons for free on YouTube. I promise you'll get hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT5...RVuOgwP8JVAujQ
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #923
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I loved Succession. The only member of that clan that was remotely likable was Greg.

I hope there’ll be a season 3.
Must be something wrong with me. I like almost all the characters but Greg. And the son that’s running for President.

Probably like Roman the best.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #924
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to watch Tales from the Loop. Having a hard time getting into it, maybe one of the reasons is that it has this annoying habit of piano music playing during most of the scenes. The intent is to make it sound dramatic but it’s irritating as hell. I want to like it.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #925
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried watching 'Locke & Key' but as far as I can discern its terrible.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #926
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if any of you have watched Tiger King on Netflix, but I simply can't get my mind around it. Like, I'm actually in awe that there is so much crazy in these handful of people. It's like they're hoarding the crazy from the rest of us. Also, I'm having trouble determining right and wrong here. I'm comfortable with shades of grey, but this is like trying to distinguish abalone grey from gull grey.

Anyway, if you want to spend an evening with someone by staring at them intensely after having your mind blown by what you just saw, watch this show.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #927
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I don't know if any of you have watched Tiger King on Netflix, but I simply can't get my mind around it. Like, I'm actually in awe that there is so much crazy in these handful of people. It's like they're hoarding the crazy from the rest of us. Also, I'm having trouble determining right and wrong here. I'm comfortable with shades of grey, but this is like trying to distinguish abalone grey from gull grey.

Anyway, if you want to spend an evening with someone by staring at them intensely after having your mind blown by what you just saw, watch this show.
I have one episode to go. It has been all over social media for weeks and I tried to stay away because it looked so trashy.

Well it is trashy as hell but you just can't stop watching it. I see the appeal and the show itself is just very well made, in terms of access and following a storyline.

And did Joe Exotic invent auto tune or something? His voice is amazing on his music videos.

Anyway I can't recommend it exactly but I am addicted.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #928
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

You been in a cave for the last three weeks?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 04:32 AM   #929
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You been in a cave for the last three weeks?
Close to it. I'm off all social media and have been avoiding most news other than data reports for 3 weeks now. I've even limited my time on CP, which is something I almost never do.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #930
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently there's going to be one more episode where the subjects talk about what they thought about the series.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #931
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I have one episode to go. It has been all over social media for weeks and I tried to stay away because it looked so trashy.

Well it is trashy as hell but you just can't stop watching it. I see the appeal and the show itself is just very well made, in terms of access and following a storyline.

And did Joe Exotic invent auto tune or something? His voice is amazing on his music videos.

Anyway I can't recommend it exactly but I am addicted.

Its not him singing, he is lip syncing.

Musician Vince Johnson and vocalist Danny Clinton are actually behind the songs in the music videos. The pair have customized songs before, and Exotic convinced them to make him some personalized tracks for free, saying they'd get exposure in his now-defunct reality show.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #932
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Apparently there's going to be one more episode where the subjects talk about what they thought about the series.
It's up now.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #933
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Trying to watch Tales from the Loop. Having a hard time getting into it, maybe one of the reasons is that it has this annoying habit of piano music playing during most of the scenes. The intent is to make it sound dramatic but it’s irritating as hell. I want to like it.
Im a little surprised there isn’t universal acclaim for Tales From the Loop, as I find it absolutely incredible- up there with Black Mirror. Reviews from critics seem to be mixed, but then again, they also regard Fleabag as the greatest show since The Sopranos, so to hell with them...

Edit- of course it could just mean ‘what the hell do I know’.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-12-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #934
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

lol "I don't if any of you have a heard of a little show called Tiger King..."
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #935
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
lol "I don't if any of you have a heard of a little show called Tiger King..."
Its a little low-brow for my artistic tastes but I can envision perusing what they have on offer while swilling fine cognac and dabbling in top-shelf meth.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #936
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tiger King will go down as the luckiest release date in history
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #937
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone try The Kingdom? Just finished the first season, and thought it was excellent...

For those who don't know, it's a Korean zombie period piece. Not sure of the exact era, but reminiscent of feudal Japan...definitely adds some palace intrigue a la Game of Thrones (but not a lot yet) to the mix, which is pretty interesting to combine.

If you are a fan of zombies but a bit bored of the typical, modern setting... give it a shot... Watching via subtitles, but the dubbing seemed to be pretty good.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #938
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Im a little surprised there isn’t universal acclaim for Tales From the Loop, as I find it absolutely incredible- up there with Black Mirror. Reviews from critics seem to be mixed, but then again, they also regard Fleabag as the greatest show since The Sopranos, so to hell with them...

Edit- of course it could just mean ‘what the hell do I know’.
Well you’ve inspired me to get back into it.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #939
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to Big Cat Rescue in Tampa. Did not see Carole Baskin. The coloured shirt system just separates volunteers into the categories of cats they're allowed to handle; 600 lb tigers require more training to be around as they'll kill you a lot quicker than little savannah cats which are also on property. It's not a cult. Cages are deceiving large.

Bottom line, the entire Tiger King series was sensationalized garbage for the purpose of entertainment. Can't speak to Carole killing her husband, who knows... from my perspective the only thing that matters out of all of this is the plight of the cats, and they're doing just fine at BCR. It's funny how everybody pretends to all of a sudden be big cat experts having not ever heard of BCR or Joe Exotic prior to this series. By the end of the year, it'll go right back to nobody caring.

Just sucks that all anybody is talking about is Carole Baskin killing her husband, and not the fact that there are more captive tigers in the US than there are in the wild which is f'ing ridiculous.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #940
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I've been to Big Cat Rescue in Tampa. Did not see Carole Baskin. The coloured shirt system just separates volunteers into the categories of cats they're allowed to handle; 600 lb tigers require more training to be around as they'll kill you a lot quicker than little savannah cats which are also on property. It's not a cult. Cages are deceiving large.

Bottom line, the entire Tiger King series was sensationalized garbage for the purpose of entertainment. Can't speak to Carole killing her husband, who knows... from my perspective the only thing that matters out of all of this is the plight of the cats, and they're doing just fine at BCR. It's funny how everybody pretends to all of a sudden be big cat experts having not ever heard of BCR or Joe Exotic prior to this series. By the end of the year, it'll go right back to nobody caring.

Just sucks that all anybody is talking about is Carole Baskin killing her husband, and not the fact that there are more captive tigers in the US than there are in the wild which is f'ing ridiculous.
Well...true. To a certain degree. The Documentary veered off course from the Tigers pretty quickly, but I think that says more about the legislation that apparently any old idiot can get their hands on a Tiger and other exotic animals and just call themselves a Zoo.

Not going to delve into "I went to a Zoo and the animals were fine!" Because thats a whole other Gordian knot of issues.

The fact is....maybe Private Zoos in general are a bad idea? I didnt realize this was such a widespread phenomenon.

Ultimately 'Exotic Pets' in general is a touchy subject because the general public at large shouldnt be responsible for the health and care of animals that need a fairly serious amount of care and responsibility.

Sure, you can argue the sensationalism for the sake of entertainment but I wouldnt let anyone on that show look after my dog for a weekend let alone be in charge of a collection of highly specialized animals.

Really...it didnt seem that any of them had any training or specialty with regards to the animals they owned. None of them.

So again, say what you will but one could also argue that the real exposition here was how easy it is for a bunch of meth'd up lunatics to get their hands on endangered and exotic animals without any real semblance of oversight or real regulation.

Carol might, and that is a huge 'maybe' but might have been the 'least worst' of all those exposed on that show, but thats hardly a glorious commendation and a real indictment of the system that has been allowed to thrive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: