Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #1101
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. I have been using the Himalayas on my car, too and I really like them, but I missed the chance to get them studded when I bought them. Now that it's an option, I want to make sure we're doing the right thing since I can't go back and stud them after they're used.

There seems to be a number of reviews out there also that don't recommend studding, but without knowing the part of the world they're in, it's hard to compare with Calgary driving conditions.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #1102
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So my wife is getting new winter tires for her SUV. The question is, studded or non-studded. They're the UrbanX Federal Himalayas. My wife's concern whether they will accelerate the wear of the tires when driving on dry pavement, the other is the road noise. Are any of these significant enough to go nonstudded?

We have about a week before our install date, so has anybody run both studded and nonstudded? Is it worth the added cost and road noise?

We will be mainly driving around Calgary and the Rockies for skiing, etc.
We had a set of (unstudded) Federal Himalayas on our last car and they never fell short in our time with em. I'd pass on the studding myself. To me the jump between all seasons/winter tires is enough of a change that you don't need to jump up to another level at all.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1103
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

had the blizzaks installed on my 2009 explorer (AWD) yesterday. In very limited driving condicitions since then, i can say that thus far i have not noticed much of a difference.

could be becasue of the current conditions, and over the past few years i would describe my driving style as prudent and i tend to leave a good gap in the winter.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #1104
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for all regarding studding:

Rather than consider them for regular performance, I was wondering whether it would make sense to stud a tire after 3-4 seasons to A) Extend the life of the tire (slow wear and perhaps get an additional year or two for the cost of studding B) bring performance back up to "par" after a little wear of tread.

Thoughts?

Assume sound is a non factor in the decision.
Assume reason is for saving money/delay replacement/peace of mind (That weird period where you're not sure on your tires but mechanics or tire shops say the tire is still OK for another season)

Also, for those with studs... what does this "sound" sound like? Like driving on the side of the road with the buzzing indentations?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #1105
j_j
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Unfortunately, you can't stud a tire once it's been driven on.

Sound is probably the most annoying part. It is a factor, but you do get used to it. Depends on the soundproofing of your car as well.

Studs DO make sense for Calgary. Think of how many snowy days there are versus icy days without much snow. We get many more icy conditions in Calgary and the snowy and the studs really perform well on those typical freeze-thaw days in the shoulder seasons.
j_j is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j_j For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #1106
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The studs really only have a positive impact for 3-4 days in Calgary (the days immediately after a big snowfall in severe temperatures where the roads are ice-covered, which is rare) and in communities with questionable road clearing.

Studded tires really is overkill, and honestly, the money is better spent on getting top of the line winters without studs instead.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #1107
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canadian Tire currently has Michelin X-Ice tires for $70 off (mail in rebate), great deal for these tires as they're rated one of the best. Apparently they advertised them as 25% off but then stated it was an error
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #1108
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

This will be my 3rd season on my set of tires that don't have studs. Already regetting not having studs. Going into my 3rd season the tires definitely don't have the grip they used to and having studs would certainly go a long way right now. Feels like I'm driving all seasons :/. Next year I'll be going back to studs for sure.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #1109
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the info about studs. I didn't know it was for brand new tires only.

Got my car back. The new tires in the back makes a HUGE difference. No more unexpected power sliding!

Well... as long as I don't gun it like an idiot (I had to test it for the sake of testing it)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #1110
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This will be my first full season with Winters (getting it installed next sunday) as I've been using my factory all season tires since I bought the car 4 yeas ago. Wonder if I'll notice much of a difference.

Going from Bridgestone All seasons to Michelin Ice winters.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:14 AM   #1111
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Canadian Tire currently has Michelin X-Ice tires for $70 off (mail in rebate), great deal for these tires as they're rated one of the best. Apparently they advertised them as 25% off but then stated it was an error
Every retailer I've seen is offering that deal right now, since mail-in rebates almost always come directly from the manufacturer
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #1112
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just put Nokian Hakka R2's on my new vehicle the other day. Perfect timing because my wife went into labor that night, and those tired never slipped or lost traction once!

They are my third set of Nokains- I've had RSI and WGR2 before. I'm always impressed with their performance. I guess I am also a fan of Kal tire- but location REALLY matters.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #1113
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

BUMP.

Got my tires installed yesterday, little Mazda 2 feels much more stable with the Toyo Observe GSI-5s' underneath.

/cool story bro
Old 11-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #1114
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sitting at Costco getting blizzak DM-V1s put on my highlander.

Just in time it appears.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #1115
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Just put Nokian Hakka R2's on my new vehicle the other day. Perfect timing because my wife went into labor that night, and those tired never slipped or lost traction once!

They are my third set of Nokains- I've had RSI and WGR2 before. I'm always impressed with their performance. I guess I am also a fan of Kal tire- but location REALLY matters.

I put those on my GX yesterday... perfect timing, and they are amazing

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #1116
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Well just got on my new winters today, had to book a month out but looks like my timing was almost right. I ended up downsizing like is suggested with a taller sidewall. I am impressed in the few hours I have been driving. Even with AWD, stability, ABS, etc it has made a difference.

I was scared little girl (Arnold voice) on my all seasons yesterday but today I have my tank back!
Just quick update, I liked this thread because people specify what tires they are using and how much they like them. So 3 weeks in I am still extremely happy with my winter tires.

I am using Yokohama IG51v in a sized down 18" on my Q7.

I had the Goodyear UltraGrip ICE WRT last season on our old Q5, those were awesome as well. However, I am now full on fan of downsizing. I think they make the Yokohama's that much better. Just a rock solid ride for $900 set tires.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #1117
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT last week. I'm a new driver and don't really notice it too much, (I just use 4x4 in the snow anyway) but my husband loves them. I'm sure he'll want to play tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #1118
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased a set of winter tires that they hated or were just pure crap?

The reason I ask is I have a hard time thinking of another $1,000 purchase I make with so little research into the decision making process. It's basically "I need winter tires, here's money, make my problem go away now!" and I honestly don't comparison shop or read reviews at all.

Just wondering if other's share this experience of if I'm missing out on some comparison shopping.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #1119
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i akways think that with any purchase of this magnitude, you are goiing to have people that love the product or hate it. if you read some reviews that a good and otehrs that are bad, how do you sort them out.

i suppose the best approach would be to find a web fourm for your particular vehicle and see if folks are talkign bout snowies in there and if there is a brand that is more popular than otehrs.

i think at the end of the day, all snow tires made by a any name brand company will be a solid choice and an upgrade.....
Old 11-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #1120
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a conversation with my husbands boss who figured he had just purchased the best winter tires for his vehicle because they were the most expensive. My husband pointed out that Goodyear is the best tire maker in the industry. His boss did not believe him. However when it was pointed out that Goodyear is the official tire of all motorsports, he left in a huff to go google it. Sure enough, Goodyear has the best ratings.

That said, you're probably not driving a NASCAR or some such so I think it's personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote