Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #2061
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Heading to Canmore this afternoon. Supposed to be 10 or so cm overnight, so I think I'll take the 30 min and throw the winters on the Subby. Fortunately I have a garage to do that in now! No more freezing on the driveway.
Having the ability to change my own by having 2 sets of rims is a game changer. Can change them now and back if it got really warm again and felt the need.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #2062
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might do mine this weekend after all. This weekend isn't quite as busy as most, I can do it all in my garage, and it is very unlikely that we will see winter-tire-melting temperatures anymore this fall. it is only a couple of weeks earlier than my usual benchmark of Thanksgiving.

Of course, if do my changeover tonight, you can all thank me for the Indian summer that we'll no doubt get.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #2063
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally I'm not going to change them yet as its not going to get cold enough to really affect the all seasons and its supposed to warm back up to the teens next week. A/S with 4WD will be fine for me with no real plans this weekend, if it snows too much and is here Sunday night I might for the drive to work but doubtful.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #2064
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oldtimer’s anecdote:
Back in my college days driving taxi part time; the cab company would not put on snow tires until after the third snowfall. They assumed the first two would melt and have dry roads for days and even weeks after.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #2065
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Personally I'm not going to change them yet as its not going to get cold enough to really affect the all seasons and its supposed to warm back up to the teens next week. A/S with 4WD will be fine for me with no real plans this weekend, if it snows too much and is here Sunday night I might for the drive to work but doubtful.
True. I've got all seasons as my summer tires on both vehicles, which should get me through this first blast. As you can see, I'm very much on the fence and I am allowing myself to get talked in and out of it! What it might come down to is my time, as this weekend looks a lot better than the next few.

My old car however, which I sold in the spring, had summer performance tires. Those things were like hockey pucks when it got even a little bit cold. Good riddance to those things.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #2066
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
True. I've got all seasons as my summer tires on both vehicles, which should get me through this first blast. As you can see, I'm very much on the fence and I am allowing myself to get talked in and out of it! What it might come down to is my time, as this weekend looks a lot better than the next few.

My old car however, which I sold in the spring, had summer performance tires. Those things were like hockey pucks when it got even a little bit cold. Good riddance to those things.
Yeah I haven't got rims or tires for my wifes new car yet and I wouldn't drive in any amount of snow with it, that said we drove it today so I hope it waits to snow. Honda Civic Turbo with rubber band tires, please don't snow and call out my stupidity.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #2067
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still rocking Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires so as long as there's no accumulation I should be able to make it home okay this afternoon. This is two straight years of early fall winter storms as I always typically do my winter tire swaps at Thanksgiving weekend and don't ever recall anything like the last two years where they were required sooner.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #2068
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah this is the first year I've done my vehicles in September.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #2069
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanksgiving has always been the time that works best for me. The long weekend usually affords me enough time to do the swap on both vehicles and its cold enough by then that the winters won't wear excessively even if there is no snow.

I'm doubtful the roads will hold much snow (if any) even with 10cm+ coming down over the weekend. It's just been too warm lately and I'd bet the city is on watch with plows should there be any real accumulation.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #2070
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/repor...0501ww1575cwwg

10cm overnight, up to 30cm by Monday.
Got into Canmore about 9:30... thank god I saw this and swapped my tires before I left. Was pretty ####ty on the road out there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #2071
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're welcome.
-God
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #2072
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I put on my winter tires yesterday and noticed my steel wheels were super rusty - way more than I remember in years past. Anyone else notice this? Did the city change their salt or something - I was pretty surprised. I'm guessing the only real way to combat this is to make sure I'm getting car washes pretty frequently so all the salt is staying off?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #2073
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

*getting in before the ‘OMG Steel Wheels ghetto AF!!!’ starts*
Fluid Film or something very similar, apply when you take the wheels off for the season, and a few touch up coats throughout the winter. It works very well, takes about an extra 45 minutes a year, and is super cheap. You should be cleaning your wheels when you take them off for the season anyhow, so the added step of a bit of protection is easy.
Disclaimer - When the wheels are mounted, saturate a rag and wipe it on, you don’t want any sort of lubricant/film on your rotors.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #2074
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fluid Film is the bomb I spray the hubs and inside of the wheels every winter. I also spray down the entire under body but not everyone is set up to do that.

In the spring clean the wheels and under the car as much as possible with "salt eraser" which going by the smell is the same thing as wheel cleaner.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #2075
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got my winter tires on this weekend also. I ordered tires and rims for my wifes car from Costco online and the rims get sent to my house and the tires to costco. I try calling them to figure out how we do this but they won't answer because understandably its busy so I stop by on the weekend. I just want to drop the rims off and have them install on the rims when they have time and I can put them on but they won't take the rims because they can't store them and are booking into mid November . . . Now i'm going to have to go back and get the tires as I didn't have room for them when I stopped by and take them to another shop to get them put on rims.

It's so much easier when you can do things on your own I wish I could do this also and be done with it.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #2076
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The savings at Costco aren't worth the hassle.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #2077
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it me or have Costco's tire prices gone up? I got quotes for my wife's Tesla Model S. $1660 and $1780 were the quotes for a set of 4 winter tires mounted. Bridgestones, and michelin alpins. Went to Kal Tire and got a set of 4 nokian hakka r3 winters for $1411, and then had a Norquay coupon code for $100 off, so I paid $1311.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #2078
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

These were a good price I think.

PIRELLI WINTER ICE ZERO FR 215/50R17 95H 25562000
Item # #1001112#
$ 166.99
Quantity

Plus $66 each for rims, not too bad.

Edit: Also got a $100 gift card
Old 10-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #2079
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think these are the same tire....

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...-2088299p.html

$99.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #2080
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I think these are the same tire....

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...-2088299p.html

$99.
$182.49 each at Canadian Tire in the size Raekwon was looking at.

I'd try Tire Pirates, too, though. A friend bought winters there last week for less than Costco.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: