Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #321
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chernobyl will keep you busy for 5 hours. Watch that. And if you haven't seen The Terror yet, I think it would be up your alley.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #322
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Chernobyl will keep you busy for 5 hours. Watch that. And if you haven't seen The Terror yet, I think it would be up your alley.
You convinced me to check out Chernobyl. The scene in episode three where the physicists were answering Gorbachev's question on "define impact" had me mouth agape and edge of my seat. I just couldn't believe what almost happened. Absolutely must watch tv. I am 100% pro-nuclear power. Still am, but certainly have a lot more understanding of the other side of the argument now.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #323
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^certainly makes you think about it, but it’s more of an indictment of the Soviet system as opposed to nuclear power.

The Chernobyl disaster was the 5th major nuclear disaster in the USSR.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #324
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This started airing today. I don't know how to watch it in Canada legally but it's a must watch. Brian Cox narrates, which is enough for me to tune in.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #325
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Catch-22 mini series is great and I highly recommend. As great as the Arkin movie was, the series better represents the book in depicting the absurdness.

Hilarious and grim with some great acting from Clooney, Chandler, and the main guy Abbott (whom I'd never heard of before this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARn16yojbQ

Major Major Major
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #326
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it done? I absolutely have to watch that. What a cast.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #327
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
The Catch-22 mini series is great and I highly recommend. As great as the Arkin movie was, the series better represents the book in depicting the absurdness.

Hilarious and grim with some great acting from Clooney, Chandler, and the main guy Abbott (whom I'd never heard of before this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARn16yojbQ

Major Major Major
It was brilliant.

Major Major Major!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #328
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chernobyl is deeply harrowing and brilliant, as good as anything I've seen from HBO so far.

The heroism of the firemen and workers that contained this disaster was beyond description, they knew they would die, they knew the death itself would be horrific and yet still they went in, with deep respect to the first responders at 9/11 this was a level of sacrifice beyond comprehension, at ground zero, as in all fires they knew it was dangerous but there was hope, at Chernobyl there was none, they worked while awash with radiation, they worked while yesterdays shift was vomiting to death.

I was living in the UK then, before I moved to Canada, if they hadn't died I would almost certainly have faced a 25 or 30% chance of being dead by cancer now like everyone else in Europe.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #329
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know a good series on Netflix Canada or Amazon Prime video that can be watched with little kids around? Our 4 year old still isn't in school so doesn't have a hard bed time, he's often up a bit later with us but most recommended shows are full of some combination of language/sex/violence.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #330
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Chernobyl is deeply harrowing and brilliant, as good as anything I've seen from HBO so far.

The heroism of the firemen and workers that contained this disaster was beyond description, they knew they would die, they knew the death itself would be horrific and yet still they went in, with deep respect to the first responders at 9/11 this was a level of sacrifice beyond comprehension, at ground zero, as in all fires they knew it was dangerous but there was hope, at Chernobyl there was none, they worked while awash with radiation, they worked while yesterdays shift was vomiting to death.

I was living in the UK then, before I moved to Canada, if they hadn't died I would almost certainly have faced a 25 or 30% chance of being dead by cancer now like everyone else in Europe.
Although I agree 100% with what your saying, I’m not sure what choice most were given in the USSR.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #331
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Anyone know a good series on Netflix Canada or Amazon Prime video that can be watched with little kids around? Our 4 year old still isn't in school so doesn't have a hard bed time, he's often up a bit later with us but most recommended shows are full of some combination of language/sex/violence.
Put them to bed. And watch Bosch.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #332
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What you should do is grab your wife, and your child, and your dog...hold them tight and watch Chernobyl.

Together. As a family.

Its like a Soviet version of 'The Sound of Music.'

A heartwarming epic for all ages and the whole family.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #333
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What you should do is grab your wife, and your child, and your dog...hold them tight and watch Chernobyl.

Together. As a family.

Its like a Soviet version of 'The Sound of Music.'

A heartwarming epic for all ages and the whole family.
I tried that, but only with the wife and dog. They didn’t get through episode 1 lol
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #334
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I tried that, but only with the wife and dog. They didn’t get through episode 1 lol
Well thats no good. How are they ever going to know what happens?

Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #335
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Although I agree 100% with what your saying, I’m not sure what choice most were given in the USSR.
The USSR in the 60's and 70's wasn't Stalin's USSR, they would have been arrested and jailed not shot, we would still see that as draconian but it was rule of law, they did have a choice and choose to sacrifice themselves, it was their Stalingrad, I suspect they saw it as that.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #336
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The USSR in the 60's and 70's wasn't Stalin's USSR, they would have been arrested and jailed not shot, we would still see that as draconian but it was rule of law, they did have a choice and choose to sacrifice themselves, it was their Stalingrad, I suspect they saw it as that.
Also, I think they shot the whole thing Edmonton.

"We need to shoot the Ukraine."

- "No....we need to shoot a Post Apocalyptic Ukraine."

"Oh. So. Edmonton."

Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #337
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you like weird and funny things, I recommend Tuca and Gertie.

It's a Netflix animated series starring Tiffany Haddish and Ali Wong and it's pretty dynamite. The animation style and humour is pretty unique and out there. If you just watch the first 5 minutes you can basically decide if it's for you or not.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #338
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The Good Place is a pretty good show that is also family friendly.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #339
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
If you like weird and funny things, I recommend Tuca and Gertie.

It's a Netflix animated series starring Tiffany Haddish and Ali Wong and it's pretty dynamite. The animation style and humour is pretty unique and out there. If you just watch the first 5 minutes you can basically decide if it's for you or not.
Great way to describe it, actually. Due to reviews I suffered through a whole episode to see if it would get better. Alas, it did not.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #340
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone check out Good Omens yet?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote