Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #2661
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone able recommend a good arborist for a small job? Have some shrubs in the backyard that really need to be cut back and my current trimmers aren't up to the task.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #2662
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
DIY or kit?
No kit, bought the swing hangers and swings from Rona, where they sell them individually to go with their kits, but I built the A frame completely from thoughts on my mind. I didn’t even know exactly how the bracing was going to be, I figured it out as I went along.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #2663
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Spoilered the photos due to their size but has anyone worked much with concrete? Had a new window installed and it required some concrete removal. How hard do you think it would be to do myself and would I just need to flatten out the dirt surface and fill it in? 4 ft by 2.5 feet at the widest.

Spoiler!
You should be able to do it, but pack the dirt down as much as you can first, and clean up all the loose dirt and gravel beside before you start, or else it could get into your finishing work.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #2664
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone hire a landscape designer they'd recommend?

Moved into a new community and basically just have a big square backyard.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #2665
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am refinishing hardwood floors. Whats the consensus on buffing them after adding the last coat?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #2666
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never done anything after last coat. I sand in between, 3 coats and it's usually smooth after that.

Sand is very light, just a quick knockdown really.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #2667
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good waste bin supply company? Demo'd our deck and need to get the old wood out of the way. Thanks.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #2668
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rented a uhaul trailer and hauled it to the dump myself.

Turned out to be the cheapest option.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #2669
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Can anyone recommend a good waste bin supply company? Demo'd our deck and need to get the old wood out of the way. Thanks.
You could have a small bonfire and throw the ashes into a black bin...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #2670
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Anyone hire a landscape designer they'd recommend?

Moved into a new community and basically just have a big square backyard.
Pixie Gardens, or Chinook Gardener
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #2671
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We're looking to put a basketball hoop on the rear garage roof. No room to put it between the garages (Shaw box) and want something a little more stable. It's an angled roof. Any recommendations for a place to pick one up? Are there local installers for something like this? I'd prefer it done right.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #2672
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I want to upgrade the lighting in a garage to something more efficient. The garage isn’t heated and can get pretty chilly. Currently, there are two 48” fluorescent fixtures with two bulbs each. I’ve read that I can bypass the ballast and go with led tubes or replace with newer fixtures. Any advice? Thanks.
I have done both, replacement tubes from Costco, and then a strip of this (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lit...ar-/1001041580) and I would not hesitate to convert all to this homedepot option. It's brighter, had a better color temp and its lower profile. If I didn't already have my regular units in and spent the $$ ) on the tubes I would just do it all again
Old 05-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #2673
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I have done both, replacement tubes from Costco, and then a strip of this (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lit...ar-/1001041580) and I would not hesitate to convert all to this homedepot option. It's brighter, had a better color temp and its lower profile. If I didn't already have my regular units in and spent the $$ ) on the tubes I would just do it all again
Did my garage in these:

https://www.costco.ca/luminus-led-sh...100486427.html

They're bright as heck and $90 for 2 shipped (occasionally go on sale too).

I just converted my existing single bulb light fixtures into outlets (ie installed the outlet in the existing junction box) that these lights plug into (basically I now have 2 or 4 of the LED units where I would have had each single bulb (2 previously in a 2 car garage). Now my garage is basically an operating room is so bright. I love it. Same can be done if you have flourescent tubes since they're generally wired up to a junction box as well.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #2674
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I just converted my existing single bulb light fixtures into outlets (ie installed the outlet in the existing junction box) that these lights plug into (basically I now have 2 or 4 of the LED units where I would have had each single bulb (2 previously in a 2 car garage). Now my garage is basically an operating room is so bright. I love it. Same can be done if you have flourescent tubes since they're generally wired up to a junction box as well.
Note for those who are contemplating this, and find that the fluorescent lights you want to replace are are NOT wired to a junction box (either separate or integrated into the back of the fixture): your @#$%'s £&®¿ed, you might as well make the switch to LED in order to fix your current installation. Don't cheap out on this: janky wiring is a fire hazard.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #2675
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Note for those who are contemplating this, and find that the fluorescent lights you want to replace are are NOT wired to a junction box (either separate or integrated into the back of the fixture): your @#$%'s £&®¿ed, you might as well make the switch to LED in order to fix your current installation. Don't cheap out on this: janky wiring is a fire hazard.
I do not follow, or disagree....either way:

1. If the flouro tube is hardwired, you can simply install a device box (I'd go with 2 gang) and install your outlets there (assuming the cable is appropriately wired & grounded). Switched outlets are permitted in CSA code, so not sure what the issue is here.

2. What does "switch to LED" as the solution mean? LED units can be hardwired or plugged - just like flouro or incandescent tubes. Just depends on the fixture and LED has nothing to do with this. The suggested product is LED and a great option.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #2676
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

What I'm saying is the wiring (if hardwired) to the existing fixture should be terminated at a separate JB or properly affixed at the fixture itself. If it's not—if it's just some ****ty pigtail in your ceiling space, which I have seen done—then you might as well replace the fluorescent fixture because you ought to fix the crap wiring in the first place.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #2677
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I have the same as Ducay (on his recommendation. Thanks) and can back up his analysis. Great lights
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #2678
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Anyone able recommend a good arborist for a small job? Have some shrubs in the backyard that really need to be cut back and my current trimmers aren't up to the task.
Trying to make the house look bigger?
Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #2679
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the home I purchased, there is a hole that is something like 5 inches x 5 inches and about 6-8 feet deep with rocks at the bottom.

Does anyone have any idea what this hole might be for? It seems exceptionally dangerous as a small child could probably fall into this hole. The cover is a rotting piece of wood I have to replace anyways. I'm just trying to figure out whether I should try to block the hole in a more temporary method or permanent method.

Since I have no idea what the hole is for, I was leaning towards for a temporary method such as putting a 4 x 4 x 8' fence post into the hole before replacing the top cover. This so that if someone were to remove that cover, at least a small kid couldn't fall inside. I'm also leaning towards covering the hole with something heavier and more durable against the elements like a concrete stepping stone slab.

Thoughts?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #2680
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it right next to the house? Does it look like a downspout may have gone into it at one point? Could be the french drain, with rocks at the bottom like that. Is it lined with PVC or something or just a dirt hole?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote