Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #1061
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walmart back up and out of stock.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #1062
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walmart tweeted they are sold out. Xbox release is postponed.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #1063
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess the bots win again.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #1064
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. At this point I'm really glad a snagged a series S the other day. Wasn't my first choice but gives me something to play over the holidays. I'll grab a PS5 next year when they're readily available.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #1065
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would love to know how many they actually had. Seems like these releases are always destined for failure.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #1066
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I would love to know how many they actually had. Seems like these releases are always destined for failure.
Sounds like walmart had 1221 of the disc console with the controller, 1985 of just the disc console on it's own

So with the digital edition and the two other bundles with games as well my guess is they had 4-5k total.

Edit: Not re-stock related but the Next Gen versions of FIFA and Madden launched a day early today. Had bought them when they were 50% off last week for BF, so will probably give them a shot tonight. Sounds like there is some neat DualSense integration in these games as well.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-03-2020 at 11:28 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #1067
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This makes sense as I definitely got the crappier fan. Mine isn't loud relative to the PS4 but it's not quiet and with other people saying there's were quiet I was wondering if maybe something was wrong with mine. Kind of strange and crummy to be putting a lesser fan in some consoles. I don't even understand why they would do this as if they had multiple suppliers for the fan why wouldn't they have them supply the same design instead of a different one?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #1068
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It just goes to show in my opinion how peoples attention to detail lack in everyday use.

Xbox Series X
Xbox One X

^^ That is pretty obvious that they are two different products. They have different names!!!

Hell you can even argue that

Playstation 4
Playstation 5

are more closely named then the XBOX consoles.

I just have no sympathy for those that made this mistake, IMO even parents/regular people should be able to differentiate without having there hands held.
Lol this guy...come on man obviously the Xbox names are more confusing. Stop being a fanboy

The Xbox One is their third console ffs vs. 1,2,3,4,5

Last edited by dino7c; 12-03-2020 at 12:55 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #1069
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol this guy...come on man obviously the Xbox names are more confusing. Stop being a fanboy

The Xbox One is their third console ffs vs. 1,2,3,4,5
Obviously, The nomenclature of the Sony consoles are more straightforward. I am trying to convey that IMHO that this is all overblown. If the consumer can make a mistake when purchasing a product because to them Xbox one S/X is too similar to Xbox Series S/X then in my eyes, some if not most of the blame should be put on the consumer.

Who cares what console number the Xbox one was its a name not a numbering system. Sega's Dreamcast was it's third console in the NA segment, the Nintendo 64 wasn't Nintendo's 64th iteration of a console.

Be an educated consumer or deal with the consequences of being too lazy/ignorant to double check you are purchasing the right product.

It has nothing to do with being a fan boy. I play both consoles, and enjoy both. I tend to speak more about XBox because there a fewer voices speaking about it then the PS5. Each console should be represented equally when it comes to new and info. Whether it be positive or negative.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #1070
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Microsoft's Xbox naming system -- although originally rooted in how the system was intended to be marketed -- is often confusing and unintuitive to consumers.

Sony's naming system is simple, easy to understand, and so unimaginative so as to be boring as hell; if you threw a Toyota badge on it, nothing would feel out of place.

Nintendo's... well, Nintendo is basically the titular character from the movie "Elf". As far as its video-game history goes, it is a 40-something with the brain of a child, coming up with imaginative names and bright colours, and even though they're sometimes a little weird, people tend to warm to whatever they're up to even if they don't necessarily take it seriously.

I liked the way console manufacturers did it in the 80s and 90s. Each thing just had a name. It wasn't necessarily indicative in the name as to whether it was the better thing or not. Yes, you could say NES and SNES suggested an iteration, but otherwise things just had names. The Genesis, N64, GameCube, Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar, 3DO. You didn't know one thing was newer than the other by the name, but because it was the new 'thing' people were talking about. Manufacturers got creative with naming their products.

Whatever, ten years down the road we're going to be talking about the upcoming PlayStation 7, the Xbox QuantumCloud X and the Nintendo PurpleMonkeyDishwasher or something.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #1071
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Be an educated consumer or deal with the consequences of being too lazy/ignorant to double check you are purchasing the right product.
Lazy / Ignorant to describe all of the Mothers / fathers / Aunts / Uncles / Grandparents who are not gamers, who try to gift something special for a kid.

If you're a gamer, then yeah, it's on you to buy the correct thing.

For the rest of the population that don't track any of that stuff and usually just want to get something, it is confusing.

Nintendo 64 was obviously different than the previous SNES or Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Sega Dreamcast was obviously different than the previous Sega Saturn

XBox Series X vs Xbox One X could mean variations of the same generation console. It is not obvious that they are of different generations.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #1072
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Each console should be represented equally when it comes to new and info. Whether it be positive or negative.
Wait, what? No. That's stupid.

You don't make up #### just to make something look as equally a good or as bad as another thing just for the sake of it. These are not your kids, you don't love them both equally haha. Christ, who even does that?

Where is your Stadia love? Or the Ouya mclovin?

Or Nazis. Have you see the overwhelming negative news and information about Nazis in this and other forums? Man, you better get on that positive spin train there. What's your positive take on White Supremacists?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #1073
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Sony's naming system is simple, easy to understand, and so unimaginative so as to be boring as hell; if you threw a Toyota badge on it, nothing would feel out of place.
Playstation is the biggest brand name in gaming now, that doesn't happen if they get creative with the naming scheme. Moms don't tell their kids to stop playing "Nindento" anymore, they tell them to stop playing Playstation regardless of what system they have. Sticking with that name is the smartest thing Sony could have done
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #1074
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Playstation is the biggest brand name in gaming now, that doesn't happen if they get creative with the naming scheme. Moms don't tell their kids to stop playing "Nindento" anymore, they tell them to stop playing Playstation regardless of what system they have. Sticking with that name is the smartest thing Sony could have done
What about that convinced you that I think Sony should change the naming? Whether I think it's boring and unimaginative has no bearing on what Sony should do now. They have brand recognition, changing it would be senseless.

On the flip side, I do hope whatever comes after the Series S/X has something that differentiates it from the past generation(s). Xbox Something Else.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #1075
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What about that convinced you that I think Sony should change the naming? Whether I think it's boring and unimaginative has no bearing on what Sony should do now. They have brand recognition, changing it would be senseless.

On the flip side, I do hope whatever comes after the Series S/X has something that differentiates it from the past generation(s). Xbox Something Else.
Xbox Next S/X
Xbox After Next S/X
Old 12-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #1076
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox Series One X/S just to confuse people even more.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #1077
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Unless it’s a pro version console I think these might be the last consoles before it goes strictly streaming.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #1078
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously, The nomenclature of the Sony consoles are more straightforward. I am trying to convey that IMHO that this is all overblown. If the consumer can make a mistake when purchasing a product because to them Xbox one S/X is too similar to Xbox Series S/X then in my eyes, some if not most of the blame should be put on the consumer.

Who cares what console number the Xbox one was its a name not a numbering system. Sega's Dreamcast was it's third console in the NA segment, the Nintendo 64 wasn't Nintendo's 64th iteration of a console.

It has nothing to do with being a fan boy. I play both consoles, and enjoy both. I tend to speak more about XBox because there a fewer voices speaking about it then the PS5. Each console should be represented equally when it comes to new and info. Whether it be positive or negative.
Obviously a lot of people care, its an actual issue when people are buying the wrong thing. I like Xbox too but maybe there is a reason they are outsold 2:1
Old 12-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #1079
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Microsoft would have just kept the code names...Scorpio, Scarlett, etc.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #1080
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I wish Microsoft would have just kept the code names...Scorpio, Scarlett, etc.
Imagine the confusion???? Scorpio, Scarlett, Lockhart.....which ones which!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post: