Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #121
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Thats got to be the hold up. No way they can afford to carry 23 contracts, it will be 22 max UNLESS the much talked about "big trade" occurs.
Kylington would have to clear waivers to be sent down. No chance the Flames will risk that, so I doubt a 2-way deal is holding it up.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #122
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mangiapane would have needed waivers last season too and the hold up was a 2 way contract. Just saying.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #123
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't ever get up/down about these kind of depth signings.

At this point, I patiently wait to see how the flames try to fix the biggest issue of the roster (core forwards)
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #124
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

At this point, I patiently wait to see how the flames try to fix the biggest issue of the roster (core forwards)
85% of the time these tend to be inconsequential. Hole plugging and not much else. Like a Forbort, Diaz, Fantenberg, etc.

If everything goes right they quietly serve a purpose, have a big game once every blue moon and then eventually move on.

Apparently I'm supposed to applaud these pickups, but my general attitude is "yes okay, now what are you doing about the real problem?" Because these signings are for all intents and purposes just filling the empty seat signings, and not to do with the guys in the pilot's cabin, where the games are ultimately won or lost.

Because I haven't forgotten the ways in which 13 and 23 came up short but others are getting duped again over time into thinking they'll spontaneously level up and turn a page.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-24-2020 at 02:04 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #125
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #126
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have the Flames increased their scouting efforts in Russia recently? It seems like they are dipping into the talent pool over there more the last few years. Nesterov is a little small for a defenseman, so there is likely going to be a reach disadvantage when it comes to defending, but he seems fairly fast and explosive. With sheltered ice-time, he could be a good card to have up your sleeve.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #127
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Disagree. The core forwards are fine. The biggest issue was in net, they fixed it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #128
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Disagree. The core forwards are fine. The biggest issue was in net, they fixed it.
Such a horrible take. If you think core forwards have been fine over the past 2 playoffs, you are a bigger homer than I already believe. Gaudreau and Monahan have played like ass for about 1.5 years. Tkachuk hasn't done a ton in the playoffs and neither has Lindholm.

I don't like either goalies but if you are looking at playoffs, both Smith and Talbot did an okay job. They were certainly not the issue.

Last edited by keenan87; 10-24-2020 at 03:16 PM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #129
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Such a horrible take. If you think core forwards have been fine over the past 2 playoffs, you are a bigger homer than I already believe.

I don't like either goalies but if you are looking at playoffs, both Smith and Talbot did an okay job. They were certainly not the issue.
Sure. Trollololol away. Want that autograph yet? Talbot did a bang up job against Dallas, no weak goals there. Yup. Trollololol. The Capitals didn't panic and change their core after fair weather fans like yourself called for it and boy did that backfire! Sometimes rocking the boat is not the answer.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #130
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. Trollololol away. Want that autograph yet? Talbot did a bang up job against Dallas, no weak goals there. Yup. Trollololol.
I never said I liked Talbot but he played okay. Talbot also kept the Flames in some games.

Do you honestly believe core forwards have been fine? How? Why?
Old 10-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #131
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Have the Flames increased their scouting efforts in Russia recently? It seems like they are dipping into the talent pool over there more the last few years. Nesterov is a little small for a defenseman, so there is likely going to be a reach disadvantage when it comes to defending, but he seems fairly fast and explosive. With sheltered ice-time, he could be a good card to have up your sleeve.

They've been spending more time and effort scouting in Russia, definitely.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #132
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. Trollololol away. Want that autograph yet? Talbot did a bang up job against Dallas, no weak goals there. Yup. Trollololol. The Capitals didn't panic and change their core after fair weather fans like yourself called for it and boy did that backfire! Sometimes rocking the boat is not the answer.
The Capitals? You mean the team that arguably has the greatest goal scorer to ever play in the NHL? A top 15 player in the history of the game? On a team that was consistently winning or very close to the President's trophy?

If you want to start getting really technical, the Capitals did move core players over the years. They literally moved Marcus Johansson the year before winning whose value to them was pretty much what Backlund is to the Flames.

Do you really think the Flames fall in the same category as the Capitals?

Last edited by keenan87; 10-24-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #133
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I never said I liked Talbot but he played okay. Talbot also kept the Flames in some games.

Do you honestly believe core forwards have been fine? How? Why?
I said they were not the biggest issue and yes, they have been fine. The whole coaching debacle and change of system last year brought everyone's numbers down. The year before they had one of the best offences in the NHL. They were a Reider stick not breaking in OT or solid goaltending away from beating Dallas in the playoffs. Goaltending and D was a much bigger issue than the core forwards. Now I do think Gaudreau doesn't fit well if Ward is going to play the system he plays and would be better served elsewhere providing he return and we would all love to upgrade Monahan but that is not happening especially with a flat cap so here we are. I am not convinced we can't win with this core. Could it be better? Sure, but it is fine and was hardly our biggest issue heading into the offseason. Just my opinion. Not sure why you had to spew venom at me because I saw it different.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #134
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I said they were not the biggest issue and yes, they have been fine. The whole coaching debacle and change of system last year brought everyone's numbers down. The year before they had one of the best offences in the NHL. They were a Reider stick not breaking in OT or solid goaltending away from beating Dallas in the playoffs. Goaltending and D was a much bigger issue than the core forwards. Now I do think Gaudreau doesn't fit well if Ward is going to play the system he plays and would be better served elsewhere providing he return and we would all love to upgrade Monahan but that is not happening especially with a flat cap so here we are. I am not convinced we can't win with this core. Could it be better? Sure, but it is fine and was hardly our biggest issue heading into the offseason. Just my opinion. Not sure why you had to spew venom at me because I saw it different.
The coaching debacle and shift in systems? Some of these guys (Gaudreau and Monahan) have been playing like crap since after the all-star game in 2019. This wasn't just them doing bad after the coaching debacle. This isn't a new phenomenon anymore.

Also, these players have gone through tons of coaches in their career. They shouldn't shrivel up and just give up with a new system at this point in their career. Heck - this core alone has run out multiple coaches at this point. Maybe at some point its the players and not the coaches.

A broken stick? Solid goaltending? Those are excuses and nothing more. I am sure Dallas can come up with the same amount of excuses that could have led them to sweep the series instead of losing twice. At the end of the day - excuses don't matter. You need to win and your top guys need to score. Something your loving forward core hasn't done at all in the playoffs over multiple years.

As for solid goaltending, its not like Khudobin stole any games either.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #135
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames goaltender was their MVP in both first round whiffs by the flames. Ignoring how generally useless the top 2 lines were in those series, particularly at generating anything offensively 5 on 5, seems like a 'head in the sand' type decision.

Strive for greatness, enough of the 'just get in' as a measure of success already.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #136
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames goaltender was their MVP in both first round whiffs by the flames. Ignoring how generally useless the top 2 lines were in those series, particularly at generating anything offensively 5 on 5, seems like a 'head in the sand' type decision.

Strive for greatness, enough of the 'just get in' as a measure of success already.
Talbot was not our MVP against Dallas. Outside of Game 3, he was one of the worst goalies in the first round. There was a reason why Treliving was in on every single available goaltender at the start of the off-season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #137
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Talbot was not our MVP against Dallas. Outside of Game 3, he was one of the worst goalies in the first round. There was a reason why Treliving was in on every single available goaltender at the start of the off-season.
Fair.

He won the flames a game, and I don't think he lost the flames a game. Not really interested in debating the goaltending position. I am pleased that the flames upgraded at this critical position. I just feel the flames need to address the top6 forwards still.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #138
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair.

He won the flames a game, and I don't think he lost the flames a game. Not really interested in debating the goaltending position. I am pleased that the flames upgraded at this critical position. I just feel the flames need to address the top6 forwards still.
Yeah, I definitely understand the desire for change at the top of the roster - and I think we may still see it. Tree is definitely still working away at things. With that said though, last year was a down year for pretty much every skater on this team, which makes sense given all of the craziness in the first few months of the season.

With Ward at the helm, I’m optimistic we may see some lineup changes that could spark a new flame or two. If no further changes are made, I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world - but ideally I’d like to see some change as well.

I think Tree has improved this team as-is while staying cap compliant, which isn’t something a whole lot of other teams have been able to do this off-season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #139
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He won the flames a game, and I don't think he lost the flames a game.
Flames completely dominated game 6 on everything but the score sheet. I'd argue game 2 was one they should have won too, if Talbot made some pretty routine saves.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #140
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Flames completely dominated game 6 on everything but the score sheet. I'd argue game 2 was one they should have won too, if Talbot made some pretty routine saves.
The advanced stats would say the Flames were soundly outplayed that series. Feel free to say they don’t paint the whole picture because you’d have a point. But goalies aside, this team hasn’t outplayed an opponent in the playoffs since Vancouver IMO. And often it hasn’t been that close.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: