Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #2301
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Are you referring to the helical screw piles installed with a bobcat? Or the retail available ones from Home Depot?

If it the former, that makes sense. If its the latter, im confused. I didn't think there was a Pylex certified installer.

I used the commercial pylex 66 for my Pergola. I can see how they are useful, but if I were to do it again, id just dig a hole with an auger.
Did you get a permit & inspection for your pergola?

I contacted the city directly and asked about screw piles for a deck. They said the only way for any type of helical screw pile to be approved is if it's installed by a certified installer. In fact, you first need to have an engineer sign off on the drawings/design, then have the installer sign off on the install to pass inspection.

I figure that's a headache/expensive so I'm just going to do concrete piles with set post bases.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #2302
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I may be out to lunch. But I find that hard to believe.

Absolutely, the big ass screw piles need a pro to install them. But the ones you buy from Home Depot are meant for DIY. If there's a certified pylex installer, he's got quite the racket going. Again, I could be out to lunch.

A Pergola doesn't require a permit if its not attached to the house, and at least 1 meter from the house and less than 100sq feet.....lets say Im close to that.

If I remember, you're building a deck. Decks have much more safety and load bearing considerations, so I can understand more detail on that. Pergolas are largely decorative, and just need to be made so that they don't become airborne in a thunderstorm. Depending on design of course.

Last edited by sa226; 07-23-2019 at 01:06 PM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #2303
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had every intention of using pylex screw piles to save time & money and do it myself.

However when I was applying for my permit, it clearly said that if you plan on using anything other than concrete piles, you have to have an engineer report first. I emailed them to clarify, and they replied that I need an engineer report, and it needs to be installed by a pro to pass inspection.

I figure screw that, so I wrote the planes with concrete piles and will go that route.

I think they are being pedantic, but they have the biggest gang so we play by their rules.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #2304
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haha fair enough. I think with a deck, thats an annoying but fair way to go about business. There's enough people doing shoddy dangerous work.

For my application, they were a bit overkill anyway, and if I could go back I wouldn't do it again.

I find it quite silly as well, as far as pergolas go. That sonotubes are a suggested option. You get a lot of weight support and all that, but with the brackets installed on top of sonotubes, there is very little lateral support. But with a deck the lateral support is inherent in the structure, more so than a pergola.

Last edited by sa226; 07-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #2305
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ripping out old and stained carpet in our basement and replacing with vinyl plank. The plan initially was to leave the existing baseboards and just put the vinyl under it and live with the small gap that would be there.

Is this a stupid idea? Should I be ripping off the old baseboards and replacing? Will I even be able to do the install correctly with the baseboards on?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #2306
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Ripping out old and stained carpet in our basement and replacing with vinyl plank. The plan initially was to leave the existing baseboards and just put the vinyl under it and live with the small gap that would be there.

Is this a stupid idea? Should I be ripping off the old baseboards and replacing? Will I even be able to do the install correctly with the baseboards on?

You can add a small piece of trim around the bottom of your baseboards called a baseboard shoe. It's kind of like a quarter round piece but a bit different and more aesthetically pleasing. It actually makes your whole room look better...adds a profile to your baseboards. If you paint it before hand and install it with an 18 gauge nailer it's a done deal. No nail holes to fill or repainting. You can dap the top and run a brush around it to make it look perfect. But this is a common way of dealing with exactly what you're talking about. Covers up the gap and looks good.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #2307
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perfect, thanks for the great info.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #2308
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

How hard is it to install LED lights under cabinets in a kitchen? Assuming I wanted to attach it to a power source and not battery?

If I wanted the battery method I assume its super easy.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #2309
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I got quotes to gut and rebuild my three piece bathroom to the cheapest standard and the lowest quote was over 10k. I did it myself for 2500 including a new wet saw.

And the IMMENSE satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #2310
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you plan to move soon? If it looks terrible it can affect re-sale.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #2311
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You can add a small piece of trim around the bottom of your baseboards called a baseboard shoe. It's kind of like a quarter round piece but a bit different and more aesthetically pleasing. It actually makes your whole room look better...adds a profile to your baseboards. If you paint it before hand and install it with an 18 gauge nailer it's a done deal. No nail holes to fill or repainting. You can dap the top and run a brush around it to make it look perfect. But this is a common way of dealing with exactly what you're talking about. Covers up the gap and looks good.
My mom just did this in her basement and used a piece of trim to complete the look. It looks great.

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #2312
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My mom just did this in her basement and used a piece of trim to complete the look. It looks great.
That does look great, but what did you take those pictures with? A potato?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #2313
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Very funny. She has a degenerative condition that makes her hands shake so she's unable to take crisp photos.

No, actually she had texted me those pics a couple of weeks ago when this was finished, so they're just from a text. 56kb or something.

Looking at that desk pic, her cable management game is very weak.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #2314
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that desk could be shifted to the right to hide that outlet and power bar. Or screw the power bar to the bottom of the desk.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #2315
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, that desk could be shifted to the right to hide that outlet and power bar. Or screw the power bar to the bottom of the desk.
Yeah. I'm going there this weekend. I'll take care of it.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #2316
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah. I'm going there this weekend. I'll take care of it.
Send us a picture please

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #2317
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know where I can buy material to use for a bench top?

Bullnose melamine about 22" wide and 1 1/2" thick?

None of the big box store have it.

rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #2318
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Anyone know where I can buy material to use for a bench top?

Bullnose melamine about 22" wide and 1 1/2" thick?

None of the big box store have it.

Sounds like it’s actually counter top material for a kitchen. You can buy it and trim to size, or make it yourself using particle board, the veneer of choice and contact cement.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #2319
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am in need of a new roof, frankly it's been a bit of a trial to get a company out to do an actual quote for me. Always eager to pick up the phone and make an appointment but everyone to date has been a no show.

Before I just go to Roof Mart and hunt down a contractor there. I was wondering if anyone here has had any good experiences with a roofing contractor.

Won't be a huge job but it is my whole roof.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #2320
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Send us a picture please
Much better...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: