Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #61
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN 1, 3, 4, and 5 generally show the same content at all times and each one is the designated "primary feed" for the different regions in the country. TSN2 is the only channel that consistently has different content than the other 4.
  • TSN1: Primary feed for British Columbia, Alberta, and Yukon
  • TSN3: Primary feed for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and parts of Northern Ontario
  • TSN4: Primary feed for Ontario, excluding Ottawa
  • TSN5: Primary feed for Ottawa, parts of Southeastern Ontario, Quebéc, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador
Other than the regional NHL games, about the only time they ever have unique content on each channel is during big events that have multiple simultaneous feeds available, like the Tennis Grand Slams and the NCAA basketball tournament.

For hockey, Jets regional games air on TSN3, Leafs regional games air on TSN4, Sens regional games air on TSN5, and Habs regional games air on TSN2. During the games, that particular feed is blacked out for viewers outside their region. Currently, TSN1 is a "clean" feed without any regional commitments that require blackouts.

If TSN took on the regional rights to any of the 3 westernmost teams, it would mess up their distribution model and they'd have to black out the primary feed to some viewers in part of their region. I also don't think the Flames or Oilers would want to lose Saskatchewan as part of their region. So, if TSN took on the Flames, they'd have to come up with a system to black out the Flames regional games on the primary TSN1 feed in BC only and not black them out on the non-primary TSN1 feed in Saskatchewan only.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #62
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
But they also have SN Flames, SN Oilers, SN360, SN1 to use. TSN does not.

That's also only two contracts, one of which (baseball) has very little overlap with the NHL. Apr-June and Oct.
Doesn’t TSN air the Jets on their TSN 3 channel? I would think TSN has another alternative channel that could serve the Flames like TSN4 or TSN5. I mean, TSN has lost a lot of sports properties to Sportsnet over the years and their cupboards are barebones. I mean, I can’t imagine it’s very lucrative for TSN to air SportsCentre on TSN5 during prime time in Calgary everyday.

I personally cancelled TSN, so I don’t know what kind of live content they have anymore. NFL, CFL, maybe poker? Tennis? Seriously, what kind of programming do they have out west during the winter months anyway? “Jay and Dan sipping on egg nog before bed?”
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #63
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
TSN 1, 3, 4, and 5 generally show the same content at all times and each one is the designated "primary feed" for the different regions in the country. TSN2 is the only channel that consistently has different content than the other 4.
  • TSN3: Primary feed for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and parts of Northern Ontario
  • TSN5: Primary feed for Ottawa, parts of Southeastern Ontario, Quebéc, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador
Other than the regional NHL games, about the only time they ever have unique content on each channel is during big events that have multiple simultaneous feeds available, like the Tennis Grand Slams and the NCAA basketball tournament.

For hockey, Jets regional games air on TSN3, Leafs regional games air on TSN4, Sens regional games air on TSN5, and Habs regional games air on TSN2. During the games, that particular feed is blacked out for viewers outside their region. Currently, TSN1 is a "clean" feed without any regional commitments that require blackouts.

If TSN took on the regional rights to any of the 3 westernmost teams, it would mess up their distribution model and they'd have to black out the primary feed to some viewers in part of their region. I also don't think the Flames or Oilers would want to lose Saskatchewan as part of their region. So, if TSN took on the Flames, they'd have to come up with a system to black out the Flames regional games on the primary TSN1 feed in BC only and not black them out on the non-primary TSN1 feed in Saskatchewan only.

Thank you! I was too lazy to look this up. Unlike SN which separates P and W, TSN has AB/BC in the same region.

That being said getbak, I sort of disagree about TSN showing the same content on all channels. They do this a lot but not nearly as much as SN does. TSN regularly shows different content when F1 is on (and not just using TSN2), they do it for NFL afternoon games, they do it for CFB etc.

There are a lot of situations where TSN needs all their feeds because they have so much different programming on.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #64
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

What I don’t get is why TSN has all the Easternmost teams and why Sportsnet has all the Westernmost teams. Wouldn’t it make more sense to criss cross between east and west so they have full coverage from say 5:00pm MT to 10:00pm MT without any cannibalization.

For instance, Flames can watch all Flames and Oiler games and vice versa. But these 2 teams typically play in the same time slot and quite often in the same day, so there’s some cannibalization there. I assume Ottawa and Toronto have a similar set up on TSN. So wouldn’t it make more sense for TSN to own the rights for say a Toronto/Calgary and Sportsnet to do an Ottawa/Edmonton line up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
What I don’t get is why TSN has all the Easternmost teams and why Sportsnet has all the Westernmost teams. Wouldn’t it make more sense to criss cross between east and west so they have full coverage from say 5:00pm MT to 10:00pm MT without any cannibalization.

For instance, Flames can watch all Flames and Oiler games and vice versa. But these 2 teams typically play in the same time slot and quite often in the same day, so there’s some cannibalization there. I assume Ottawa and Toronto have a similar set up on TSN. So wouldn’t it make more sense for TSN to own the rights for say a Toronto/Calgary and Sportsnet to do an Ottawa/Edmonton line up?
Sounds like a blockbuster trade brewing!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #66
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did a hear that right on the radio or did my ears deceive me? Flames will be back on Sportsnet? Can anyone else confirm?
Old 12-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #67
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Maybe Ball goes to TSN. They need a #1 guy now that CC has moved on. Ball would be awesome.
He could also take Cuthbert's place on CFL. He did Lions football (radio) in Vancouver and was good.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #68
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haven't seen anything official and it probably would be, so I guess there's no confirmation.

Maybe it was just Sportsnet radio that has extended their rights for Flames regional games. I guess that's possible.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #69
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their first game is two weeks from tomorrow. If there was going to be a change, I think we would have heard about it by now.

I'm surprised we haven't seen the broadcast schedule yet.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #70
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Haven't seen anything official and it probably would be, so I guess there's no confirmation.

Maybe it was just Sportsnet radio that has extended their rights for Flames regional games. I guess that's possible.
Whatever the case is I don't see how the Flames will start the season without a regional broadcaster in place. For what it is worth, Sportsnet has not released a schedule yet for any of the Canadian teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #71
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Whatever the case is I don't see how the Flames will start the season without a regional broadcaster in place. For what it is worth, Sportsnet has not released a schedule yet for any of the Canadian teams.
Oh it definitely won't happen. My guess is the Flames are sitting on a deal right now and are trying to coax Sportsnet or TSN for more money. Doubt Sportsnet is budging though with the colossal overpayment on the national deal.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #72
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if there IS a change, don't think you'll hear until the National Canadian schedule by Sportsnet is released. On the same day, the regional schedule may come out at the same time.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible the Flames and Rogers agreed to a one year deal for this shortened season?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is it possible the Flames and Rogers agreed to a one year deal for this shortened season?
I believe that is entirely possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #75
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Leafs regional games are shared equally between Sportsnet and TSN, 26 games each. Sportsnet does get to promote ten regional games to national status. This also happened when TSN had the national rights.

The Senators and Canadiens share the same regional area with TSN and did so with Sportsnet in the past.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:15 AM   #76
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I believe that is entirely possible.
I will go a step further and flat out state that it is possible, given what else we know

Tl;dr for EE
Yes
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #77
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are only playing Canadian teams, wouldn’t every game already be covered by their regional deals?

What is the incentive for either broadcaster to pay the Flames, instead of just selling advertising based on higher viewership across the other 6 deals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #78
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
If we are only playing Canadian teams, wouldn’t every game already be covered by their regional deals?

What is the incentive for either broadcaster to pay the Flames, instead of just selling advertising based on higher viewership across the other 6 deals?
Without a regional deal for the Flames, only national broadcasts and the games against the Oilers would be available in the Flames region.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #79
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If TSN were to buy the rights to the Flames you can bet your ass they wouldn't allow Sportsnet to keep the radio broadcasts.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #80
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If TSN were to buy the rights to the Flames you can bet your ass they wouldn't allow Sportsnet to keep the radio broadcasts.
Why is that?

Tags
broadcast , sportsnet , t.v.