Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #21
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
looks like Kieran Trippier is headed to Atletico. Weird one.
Napoli were interested too

It's like these clubs abroad didnt watch the season last year, but remember how he was probably one of the 5 best players at the world cup

He might be good in spain tho, I think Italy would be better for him, but his only real issue is his pace, so in a slower league than the PL, his positives, hes and great crosser and a good defender once in his own final 3rd, will outweigh the negatives

I hope he does well

Seems like Rose is gone as well, hes not going on the pre season tour, being left in london to focus on completing a move

Sessegnon is his likely replacement, but starting to worry about RB, I'd be good with Walker-Peters as 2nd choice behind a better starter, but not aurier, and vice versa
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #22
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how much?

in all seriousness, I guess I'm in the minority among United fans who chooses to be optimistic. I think the top 3 are miles off (City and Liverpool are extremely well-balanced teams and Spurs are easily 3rd best IMO), but beyond that, I think 4th place is realistic and that's all I want this year to be honest with you. I think United is looking at a 2-3 year rebuild and making CL is crucial next year in order to continuously push forward and hopefully challenge for the title in 2022. It's a mess of a situation, but that's what the club deserves after 6 six years of bad planning, terrible transfers and mismanagement at every level.

I think 4th place is realistic. As bad as things have been going, it's not like Chelsea and Arsenal are doing well either. Chelsea have a new manager, can't strengthen and have lost a worldclass player in Hazard. Arsenal don't have any cash to strengthen it seems because Kroenke is beyond terrible. Given that expectations are pretty low, I think United could surprise a few people this upcoming year.
I'd have them favorites for 4th right now

That's assuming maguire and at least another signing or two comes in

Arsenals transfer budget is well known

Chelsea have a new manager at this level, think it takes at least a year to adjust, and so far just swapping hazard for pulisic

Think we could see leicester, maybe everton, and wolves challenge top 6 as well
Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #23
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I dont get why united fans care about the price, so what if it's an extra 20m than what he should be, hes a huge upgrade and the money doesnt matter. They arent at risk for ffp, nor are they for being unable to buy anyone they want. So of course on top of the english tax, they get a united tax as well
Old 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #24
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Napoli were interested too

It's like these clubs abroad didnt watch the season last year, but remember how he was probably one of the 5 best players at the world cup

He might be good in spain tho, I think Italy would be better for him, but his only real issue is his pace, so in a slower league than the PL, his positives, hes and great crosser and a good defender once in his own final 3rd, will outweigh the negatives

I hope he does well

Seems like Rose is gone as well, hes not going on the pre season tour, being left in london to focus on completing a move

Sessegnon is his likely replacement, but starting to worry about RB, I'd be good with Walker-Peters as 2nd choice behind a better starter, but not aurier, and vice versa
Foyth played RB for Argentina in the Copa America, so maybe between him and KWP they figure it’s covered. I’m not as sold on that, but in Poch we trust!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Also I dont get why united fans care about the price, so what if it's an extra 20m than what he should be, hes a huge upgrade and the money doesnt matter. They arent at risk for ffp, nor are they for being unable to buy anyone they want. So of course on top of the english tax, they get a united tax as well
Yeah, its Manchester United trying to buy an England International. I'm surprised they're only tagging him at 80.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think 4th place is realistic. As bad as things have been going, it's not like Chelsea and Arsenal are doing well either. Chelsea have a new manager, can't strengthen and have lost a worldclass player in Hazard. Arsenal don't have any cash to strengthen it seems because Kroenke is beyond terrible. Given that expectations are pretty low, I think United could surprise a few people this upcoming year.
I don't think anyone is thinking that 4th place is unrealistic. But I would harldy consider it surprising anyone considering the criteria for obtaining it would be being the best of a club in a battle between them, a club in probably worse shape and another in a similar situation as ourselves with a new raw manager but having lost their best player and being unable to strengthen their squad.

The only way that United would surprise people is by narrowing the gap between them and the top three.

Quote:
But please enlighten me then which CB United should buy instead? I think we can all agree that a new CB is an absolute must. Which realistic option is out there that is cheaper and better than Maguire? I'll wait. And don't list players like De Ligt who would turn us down in a heartbeat.
That's the thing. I get that they need a CB but Maguire to me reeks of their typical kneejerk overpaying reaction.
Sure he might be the best available at this moment in time. Sure he might be an upgrade in what we have, But at that price is he someone that I believe that will put them over the top for a long time the way Rio did? I don't believe it.
My point is, if OGS believes he is someone to anchor the defence for years to come then by all means, go for it. If, however he feels he is simply a very good upgrade then I would prefer they walk away and show a bit more patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Media blows up Maguire after the WC, and naturally being English inflates his value. Yes he’s good, not highest CB transfer ever good.

Lindelof in there, is sobering also.
Agreed with the first part. Second part? I like Lindelof ...a lot.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #27
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

So. United/Leeds down under.

What possibly could go wrong?

Old 07-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #28
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steve Bruce has been appointed new Newcastle manager and #bruceout is already trending in the UK. This will go well.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #29
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Steve Bruce has been appointed new Newcastle manager and #bruceout is already trending in the UK. This will go well.
They have to be a sure thing for relegation? I know that kind of prediction before a ball is kicked seems silly, but are there going to be three teams worse?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

let's all laugh at Leeds. There's no bigger humiliation in football than Phil Jones scoring a goal against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
That's the thing. I get that they need a CB but Maguire to me reeks of their typical kneejerk overpaying reaction.
Sure he might be the best available at this moment in time. Sure he might be an upgrade in what we have, But at that price is he someone that I believe that will put them over the top for a long time the way Rio did? I don't believe it.
My point is, if OGS believes he is someone to anchor the defence for years to come then by all means, go for it. If, however he feels he is simply a very good upgrade then I would prefer they walk away and show a bit more patience.
see, that's where I think that the club is in a lose-lose situation. If they sign Maguire, it's seen as desperation and overpayment. If they don't sign Maguire, it's seen as sitting on their hands and acceptance of mediocrity. Personally I prefer option A because I want the club to improve ... and Maguire does improve the defense, I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They have to be a sure thing for relegation? I know that kind of prediction before a ball is kicked seems silly, but are there going to be three teams worse?
yeah, hard to think of three at the moment. Definitely looking grim for them, Benitez did extremely well keeping them up in the first place.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #31
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is going to be a very tough season and future being an Arsenal fan. It doesn't look like the owner is willing to spend any money whatsoever. That doesn't work in a league where the other top teams are being bankrolled by Middle East and Russian ownership.

I guess I'll be following my second favorite team, Bayern Munich, more now.

Also can someone please fix the thread title?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #32
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trippier to Atletico is a done deal. I guess we're keeping Aurier and using KWP/Foyth as the back-ups there. Rose stayed behind and is presumably being sold as well, which is somewhat disappointing. Looks like Davies with maybe Sessegnon behind him if that deal actually gets done.

Apparently Fulham was asking for a player of some sort in that deal, so who knows. The rumours and gossip can hardly be trusted at this point.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #33
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
see, that's where I think that the club is in a lose-lose situation. If they sign Maguire, it's seen as desperation and overpayment. If they don't sign Maguire, it's seen as sitting on their hands and acceptance of mediocrity. Personally I prefer option A because I want the club to improve ... and Maguire does improve the defense, I don't think there's any doubt about that.
Sure Maguire, makes them better. No one is disputing that. But do I see him as someone that will anchor the defence against the very best for years to come? No.

If they don't sign Maguire it doesn't send the message to me of acceptance of mediocrity. It sends the message of being able to walk away from a bad deal. Unless, that is, they genuinely believe him to be a superstar defender. Signing him actually sends a message of mediocrity to me.

I want the club to improve also, but I don't want the defence to improve from a four to a seven and have to stagnate there for years based on a kneejerk buy.

As for that Bruce appointment. Sports business never fails to amaze me where businessmen will hire people to manage their multi million dollar product with a past work experience of fail,fail,fail,fail and multiple sacking.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure Maguire, makes them better. No one is disputing that. But do I see him as someone that will anchor the defence against the very best for years to come? No.

If they don't sign Maguire it doesn't send the message to me of acceptance of mediocrity. It sends the message of being able to walk away from a bad deal. Unless, that is, they genuinely believe him to be a superstar defender. Signing him actually sends a message of mediocrity to me.

I want the club to improve also, but I don't want the defence to improve from a four to a seven and have to stagnate there for years based on a kneejerk buy.

As for that Bruce appointment. Sports business never fails to amaze me where businessmen will hire people to manage their multi million dollar product with a past work experience of fail,fail,fail,fail and multiple sacking.
Haha, but "Oles at the wheel" which is just about as bad of a trend. There's nothing to indicate that good players of yesteryear are good coaches today, but they keep being hired.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #35
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
It is going to be a very tough season and future being an Arsenal fan. It doesn't look like the owner is willing to spend any money whatsoever. That doesn't work in a league where the other top teams are being bankrolled by Middle East and Russian ownership.
Things could get ugly there from the fan base. They seem like an organised bunch not just with AFTV but with this wecaredoyou starting to gain momentum.

Good times for Robbie.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #36
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newcastle got hammered by Wolves today (4-0 and could have been a lot worse apparently) and fan groups are expected to protest against "the unambitious appointment by an unambitious owner" in front of the stadium today. Great day for Mike Ashley and he thoroughly deserves it.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #37
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, but "Oles at the wheel" which is just about as bad of a trend. There's nothing to indicate that good players of yesteryear are good coaches today, but they keep being hired.
Holy fata!
He hasn't had a full year in charge.
I'll wait and see.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #38
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
we'll see. I'll happily give him a full year to prove himself.

Quote:

thing is, they walked away from bad deals last summer and we saw how that turned out. I do see your point though.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trippier to Atletico is a done deal. I guess we're keeping Aurier and using KWP/Foyth as the back-ups there. Rose stayed behind and is presumably being sold as well, which is somewhat disappointing. Looks like Davies with maybe Sessegnon behind him if that deal actually gets done.

Apparently Fulham was asking for a player of some sort in that deal, so who knows. The rumours and gossip can hardly be trusted at this point.
Honestly? Thank God....that guy has the face of a Dudebro and the haircut of someone recently lobotomized.

That being said though, England needs players playing abroad. They'll get opportunities and learn new things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #40
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Honestly? Thank God....that guy has the face of a Dudebro and the haircut of someone recently lobotomized.

That being said though, England needs players playing abroad. They'll get opportunities and learn new things.
From an England perspective I think his time has passed with TAA and AWB clearly the future, but I do agree with that viewpoint, england defenders learning under simeone is a good thing