Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #1721
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I also forgot about it and I was just thinking I am not even sure if I will watch it.

Will it even be on Netflix? Disney+ pulled all their stuff over to that streaming service, technically Fox is Disney now.. unless this was a grandfathered title.

Just to add a few days later here, there has been some news about a Venom sequel trickling in over the past few months so summary would be:

-Sequel is confirmed
-Andy Serkis signed on to direct
-Tom Hardy will have more of a role in the character, akin to Hemsworth in Thor: Ragnarok
-Apparently he has some ideas to fix some of the flaws people saw in the first movie
-Rest of the original cast has agreed to return

Venom was one of my favourite comic book characters growing up, I thought the movie was pretty standard for an Origins movie. I didn't overly love it or hate it. At this point the boss battle at the end as pretty meh, but if they do Carnage right and just really explore the mind twisting aspect of these symbiotes versus just the flashy CGI battles I think they could have the rare time where the sequel out paces the original. Carnage has the potential to be a show stealing villain if done right. He can help Brock see how psycho these symbiotes really are, which that constant battle between Brock and Venom is the driving force of the comic.

That and the irrational hate for Spider-Man, which apparently we don't get.. wouldn't it be neat if there was a surprise cameo. Can they even do that with the studio rights? Or would it have to be the other way around? Venom showing up in a Spider-Man movie?

Either way anything with Serkis has me excited.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-07-2019 at 01:08 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #1722
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This looks... incredible.

What an amazingly beautiful blend of CGI and puppeteering.

I've always been a fantasy themed fan, but Dark Crystal wasn't big for me. I will re watch it and give this series a go though.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #1723
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ya I also forgot about it and I was just thinking I am not even sure if I will watch it.

Will it even be on Netflix? Disney+ pulled all their stuff over to that streaming service, technically Fox is Disney now.. unless this was a grandfathered title.

Just to add a few days later here, there has been some news about a Venom sequel trickling in over the past few months so summary would be:

-Sequel is confirmed
-Andy Serkis signed on to direct
-Tom Hardy will have more of a role in the character, akin to Hemsworth in Thor: Ragnarok
-Apparently he has some ideas to fix some of the flaws people saw in the first movie
-Rest of the original cast has agreed to return

Venom was one of my favourite comic book characters growing up, I thought the movie was pretty standard for an Origins movie. I didn't overly love it or hate it. At this point the boss battle at the end as pretty meh, but if they do Carnage right and just really explore the mind twisting aspect of these symbiotes versus just the flashy CGI battles I think they could have the rare time where the sequel out paces the original. Carnage has the potential to be a show stealing villain if done right. He can help Brock see how psycho these symbiotes really are, which that constant battle between Brock and Venom is the driving force of the comic.

That and the irrational hate for Spider-Man, which apparently we don't get.. wouldn't it be neat if there was a surprise cameo. Can they even do that with the studio rights? Or would it have to be the other way around? Venom showing up in a Spider-Man movie?

Either way anything with Serkis has me excited.
Under the current deal, Spiderman cannot appear in any non-MCU film.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #1724
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So the MCU has no real need or reason to bring these few Villains in, not with all they gained from Fox. Basically we will never see Venom in the MCU.

Pretty impressive cast linked to the Dark Crystal:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905542/

Some big actor names as well as some long time voice actor veterans.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #1725
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So the MCU has no real need or reason to bring these few Villains in, not with all they gained from Fox. Basically we will never see Venom in the MCU.

Pretty impressive cast linked to the Dark Crystal:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905542/

Some big actor names as well as some long time voice actor veterans.
The current Spider-Man deal with the MCU is actually over now. Who knows what the terms of any potential new deal will be. Sony may abandon the MCU entirely, or push to have some their own characters like Venom pumped up in future MCU films.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #1726
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The current Spider-Man deal with the MCU is actually over now. Who knows what the terms of any potential new deal will be. Sony may abandon the MCU entirely, or push to have some their own characters like Venom pumped up in future MCU films.
Or like... give us Carnage already!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #1727
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Thought they said they had one more film.

https://observer.com/2019/07/marvel-...details-venom/
https://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-contract/
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #1728
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Interesting. My understanding was that the deal only included 5 films.

Quote:
So what does Marvel Studios get in return out of this deal? Besides getting to play with a toy they’ve been eyeing for a very long time now, they get to use Tom Holland’s Peter Parker in a set number of MCU movies (five in total, per this initial agreement, including Homecoming and its sequel). That means that Spider-Man: Homecoming takes place within the same Marvel Cinematic Universe as Doctor Strange and Iron Man, and Holland’s Peter Parker—after making his debut in Captain America: Civil War—is appearing alongside folks like Tony Stark and Black Widow in Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers 4.
http://collider.com/spider-man-marve...eal-explained/

Quote:
Back in 2015, Sony struck a deal with Disney’s Marvel Studios that permitted Spider-Man to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. According to the terms of that deal, as reported by Vanity Fair (the deal has never been publicly disclosed) Spider-Man would be shared across Sony and Marvel productions for a total of five films.

Spidey has been in three thus far and Sony cannot incorporate the character into its own extended universe until the deal comes to a conclusion. That five-film cap will presumably be reached when two already filmed movies debut: “Avengers: Endgame” in April and “Spider-Man: Far From Home” in July (it is likely Spider-Man is in Endgame, though he has not been in any of the trailers released so far).
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/24/sony...ro-spidey.html

According to your links, the MCU gets one more solo Spider-man film but no more parts in other MCU films. So it could be a couple of years before another on-screen Spidey appearance.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #1729
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rotten Tomatoes ran a vote to find the 21 most memorable movie moments from the last 21 years. The list is full of superhero moments with The Joker from The Dark Knight taking the #1 spot just ahead of the snap from Infinity War which came in 2nd place. Other superhero moments include: Avengers assemble in New York from Avengers (5th place), No Mans Land from Wonder Woman (8th place), and the upside down kiss from Spider-Man (9th place).
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #1730
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is utterly pathetic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #1731
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That is utterly pathetic.
???
Old 08-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #1732
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
???
Corsi thinks the basketball scene in Catwoman should've placed top five.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #1733
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not that surprising I guess that popular (and recent) movies get the most votes, but those are just terrible choices given how many great movies have come out in the past 21 years.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #1734
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They're not talking about best movies though. They're talking about best movie moments/scenes.

To be honest, it would be tough for me to come up with non-superhero/sci-fi/etc scenes that have had any great impact over the last 20 years.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ner-announced/
  1. The Joker from The Dark Knight
  2. The Snap from Avengers: Infinity War
  3. “I see dead people” from The Sixth Sense
  4. Carl and Ellie in the opening of Up
  5. Avengers assemble in New York from Marvel’s The Avengers
  6. The government lobby scene from The Matrix
  7. Gollum talks to Smeagol from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  8. “No Man’s Land” from Wonder Woman
  9. The upside-down kiss from Spider-Man
  10. Juan teaches Chiron to swim from Moonlight
  11. “Santa, here? I know him!” from Elf
  12. Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort duel from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
  13. “Remember me?!” from Mad Max: Fury Road
  14. The chest-waxing scene from The 40-Year-Old Virgin
  15. The bridesmaids get food poisoning from Bridesmaids
  16. London is deserted from 28 Days Later…
  17. A kiss in the rain from The Notebook
  18. Satine’s entrance from Moulin Rouge!
  19. Crossing the Edmund Pettus Bridge from Selma
  20. Heather’s confessional from The Blair Witch Project
  21. “Cars don’t fly!” from Furious 7

I think this list from Vanity Fair is much more balanced and is better at explaining why the scenes have cultural or cinematic significance.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...t-movie-scenes

Like having Revenge of the Sith in there because it started the full green screen/CGI craze that has been duplicated for the last couple decades (successfully and unsuccessfully).

Last edited by KTrain; 08-19-2019 at 02:32 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #1735
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's not that surprising I guess that popular (and recent) movies get the most votes, but those are just terrible choices given how many great movies have come out in the past 21 years.
I thought it was weird that they included the entire Joker performance and not one specific moment. But in terms of cultural impact, it’s hard to argue against the Snap in Infinity War. It’s up there with the Darth Vader you ARE the father moment, or the I’m flying Jack scene from Titanic. Because it’s so recent we have not seen the full impact but I assume it will be talked about for a long time and parodied and paid tribute to for many years to come. One of the coolest moments I have seen in theatres in my life.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #1736
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It’s up there with the Darth Vader you ARE the father moment
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #1737
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Head in a box should be the all time #1! I love Fincher.

Fight club revelation should also be up there too!
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #1738
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They're not talking about best movies though. They're talking about best movie moments/scenes.

To be honest, it would be tough for me to come up with non-superhero/sci-fi/etc scenes that have had any great impact over the last 20 years.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ner-announced/
  1. The Joker from The Dark Knight
  2. The Snap from Avengers: Infinity War
  3. “I see dead people” from The Sixth Sense
  4. Carl and Ellie in the opening of Up
  5. Avengers assemble in New York from Marvel’s The Avengers
  6. The government lobby scene from The Matrix
  7. Gollum talks to Smeagol from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  8. “No Man’s Land” from Wonder Woman
  9. The upside-down kiss from Spider-Man
  10. Juan teaches Chiron to swim from Moonlight
  11. “Santa, here? I know him!” from Elf
  12. Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort duel from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
  13. “Remember me?!” from Mad Max: Fury Road
  14. The chest-waxing scene from The 40-Year-Old Virgin
  15. The bridesmaids get food poisoning from Bridesmaids
  16. London is deserted from 28 Days Later…
  17. A kiss in the rain from The Notebook
  18. Satine’s entrance from Moulin Rouge!
  19. Crossing the Edmund Pettus Bridge from Selma
  20. Heather’s confessional from The Blair Witch Project
  21. “Cars don’t fly!” from Furious 7

I think this list from Vanity Fair is much more balanced and is better at explaining why the scenes have cultural or cinematic significance.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...t-movie-scenes

Like having Revenge of the Sith in there because it started the full green screen/CGI craze that has been duplicated for the last couple decades (successfully and unsuccessfully).
The Vanity Fair one makes more sense. The geek-bias of the RT vote is very apparent to the point of being almost funny. Both for what it includes and what it omits.

It's funny. I think "the snap" is up there because comic movies are or have been at the absolute height of popularity, but thanks to the way Disney produces and schedules these movies it wasn't remotely surprising or significant. It was closer to a Dukes of Hazard "oh gee, how are the boys gonna get out of THIS one?" moment than something with real stakes in the story. You knew there was a second movie, you knew a boatload of the characters had movies coming up, etc. And even given that, it's a comic book movie. Like the comic books they're based on, they can bring back these characters whenever they want in whatever unbelievable way they choose. That's what they do.

Until superhero films start exploring uncharted territory, they're just replaying moments that have already happened. It's hard to get TOO excited about stories where you know 90% of what happens (and weigh their re-telling as culturally significant) but pop-fans are a passionate bunch. Happens just the same in music and television.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #1739
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Allow me to attempt to do so. Lots of spoilers, obviously.

Spoiler!

... And that's just (mostly) good movies. I honestly can't believe "This is Sparta", or "What I do have is a very particular set of skills" didn't make the original list.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #1740
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of those (Shawshank, Good Will Hunting) are older than the 21 year cut off that Rotten Tomatoes used.

I would have chosen "Are you not entertained?" from Gladiator, but the identity reveal is good too.