Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2024, 09:49 AM   #21
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Maybe we'll get to relive the 70's with expansion and relocations every year.

Let's just bring back the WHA instead.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:11 PM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
In my opinion anyway, I think the talent in the NHL is watered down enough. Expansion will bump up salaries and further water down the product on the ice. It’ll be a league of checkers because that’s what the minors seem good at producing
I disagree - there are way more people playing hockey around the world than ever before. The overall talent in the league is much higher than 20-30 years ago.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 12:30 PM   #23
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Let's just bring back the WHA instead.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the 90's expansion also over again since there isn't a rival startup league trying to spook the existing group. Although it might be more inter sport franchise competition and a new group of very recent billionaires emerging from the Covid era.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:49 PM   #24
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the 90's expansion also over again since there isn't a rival startup league trying to spook the existing group. Although it might be more inter sport franchise competition and a new group of very recent billionaires emerging from the Covid era.
I'd be more worried about a breakaway "Super" or "Premier" league of the largest market franchises competing without a salary cap.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:51 PM   #25
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I'd be more worried about a breakaway "Super" or "Premier" league of the largest market franchises competing without a salary cap.
Even the most capitalistic clubs in the world (Real Madrid, Barca etc) couldn't make that work. I wouldn't be too worried about this scenario in hockey.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:10 PM   #26
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Even the most capitalistic clubs in the world (Real Madrid, Barca etc) couldn't make that work. I wouldn't be too worried about this scenario in hockey.
Mostly because of the fan backlash.

Not saying it would happen, but don't say it's not been bandied about.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:30 PM   #27
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If they want 36 by 2030 then Houston and Atlanta (100%) then Phoenix and QC.

The thing with expansion is you need a group willing to give you the huge fee. I can see Atlanta, Houston as they have the groups in place. Phoenix probably will too with Merulo or someone else. That leaves one more city in the east.

Unless someone emerges and builds a new arena, QC is the only one available and with the desire. Sure there are bigger cities, but does Indy, Cincy, Balitimore have any groups willing to do that? Do they have any plans to build any arenas? Has there been any smoke about any other city.

While people say the NHL doesnt want QC because it "doesnt grow the game" but the 1.5-2 billion dollars will say otherwise. Quebec City has had meeting with Bettman throughout the years too so obviously have are always in tabs with each other. There is no massive city in the East left besides Atlanta that isnt served by some NHL team nearby.

QuebecCor has the money, the willingness and the arena to make it happen. They have the fanbase already that makes it easier to have engagement without worrying too much. Their only obstacle is corporate season ticket holders just like Winnipeg, but Quebec City is a richer city and have a better economy. More People around the surrounding area.

Unless the NHL wants to realign teams then the West has Austin, Portland, San Diego all as options that are better.
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:59 AM   #28
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Mostly because of the fan backlash.

Not saying it would happen, but don't say it's not been bandied about.
Not publicly, it hasn't. I'm struggling to even come up with enough teams whose owners would likely be in favour of seceding from the NHL. Outside of the Habs, Leafs, Rangers, who are the "premium" teams in the league? edit: forgot Chicago

With no cap on coaches, support staff etc, you don't see Murray Edwards, a billionaire, ever go out and get a big fish coach despite being allowed to spend as much as he likes outside of the playing roster.

And like you said, then there's the fan backlash. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's quite unlikely. You've got to keep in mind, there just aren't that many top-tier hockey players on this planet.