Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure this counts as a transgression. Many people in Calgary are asking for the process to be slowed down and more data considered.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #22
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll just leave this here.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...203/story.html
Quote:
Rookie city councillor Sean Chu thinks he’s found strong arguments against climate change: it’s cold in Calgary and icy in the Antarctic.

Chu, who is skeptical that man-made climate change is a real phenomenon, has been widely chided — by Mayor Naheed Nenshi, among others — for publicly questioning climate change this weekend, based on recent weather.

“So quiet from global warming alarmists about the ice stuck ship & yyc weather, it’s deafening. Is it b/c the weather’s been so freaking cold?” he said in a tweet, referring to a Russian research vessel that had recently been stranded in Antarctic ice.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I read the other day that Portland (and Vancouver) are going to greatly reduce cycling budgets, as there has been no increase in cyclists commuting, despite huge expenditures.

Looking for that story . . . here is an older report:

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/...cycle_tra.html

I think ridership plateaued at 6% (still 10X the national average):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling...rtland,_Oregon
Not true.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #24
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"it's cold right now where I live, that means global warming isn't happening"

Told by the most self centered of ignoramuses
Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
"it's cold right now where I live, that means global warming isn't happening"

Told by the most self centered of ignoramuses
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Not true.
What is not true?

BTW, I'm all for more cycling. Just reporting what I read. Trying to remember where I saw that - maybe Twitter.

Last edited by troutman; 03-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #27
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should civilization survive over these next 150 years we're going to look back at the dominance of motordom in public spaces with shock and horror and utterly ridicule statements that question the benefit of putting in safe corridors for active transportation to facilitate more congestion for drivers to sit in.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #28
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not hang the merits of his cycling opposition on his stupid global warming opinion. I think he's 100% right to question the data quality, poor decisions are made when the data is incomplete or low quality.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What is not true?

BTW, I'm all for more cycling. Just reporting what I read. Trying to remember where I saw that - maybe Twitter.
That Vancouver and Portland are scaling back capital expenditures for bike routes AND that cycling trips have plateaued. Cycling is up in Vancouver over the last 5 years, has the highest share of bike trips in the country, has the lowest accident rate for cyclists by far of any North American city. Portland did stall at 6% (which is huge by American standards) but looks to be edging up again. Interestingly, Portland's ENTIRE bike network cost as much as 1 new mile of 8 lane freeway. But lets moan about bike infrastructure costs s'more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #30
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much is one mile of 8 lane freeway? More or less than another irrelevant comparison?
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This must be what I read (considering the source was an Op/Ed in the Sun- I will have to weigh it more carefully):

Going flat out — Portland and Vancouver spent loads on bike lanes … for very little gain

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/09...ry-little-gain

According to bikeportland.org, cycling’s most admired city has finally hit the brakes on spending, having slashed the budget for neighbourhood greenway bike lanes, a priority of that 2010 cycle strategy.

After two decades of free-wheeling finances, it seems even Portland has realized there’s only so much spending you can do for a fixed minority of commuters — and with the Oregon city in the midst of a financial rough patch, infrastructure that benefits only 6% of citizens was first to go.

What both cities found is that the initial investment in bike infrastructure does attract new riders, but the point of diminishing return is quickly reached — and according to an 2013 City of Calgary report, Calgary is already approaching 4.7%, as measured on a May weekday.

When vaunted Portland can only attract 6% of commuters to cycling after building the best bike network in North America, can Calgary really do better?

Last edited by troutman; 03-11-2014 at 04:11 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #32
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Should civilization survive over these next 150 years we're going to look back at the dominance of motordom in public spaces with shock and horror and utterly ridicule statements that question the benefit of putting in safe corridors for active transportation to facilitate more congestion for drivers to sit in.
The people of today hardly care about the self-indulgent delusions of superiority of people trying to project their personal opinions onto the people of 150 years from now.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #33
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chu gets reamed out by the mayor and apologizes.

EDIT: One positive is that whatever he hoped to accomplish on anything, his weight has diminished by this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...eets-1.2568531
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #34
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What is not true?

Things that do not jive with my world view are not true.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #35
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe the guy tweeted something like that as a city councillor. Does he not understand what professionalism means? Or is he trying to be the next Rob Ford, and prove his street cred to the public.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #36
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

While Chu's words weren't wisely chosen, it is hard to disagree with him about the cycle count.
7 st is a route of mine for work, sometimes I am down there for hours waiting for dock space. Sat through full morning rush a few times and saw maybe 20-30 bikes over the course of a few hours. Whats odd is that a few buildings on 7th street have installed bike racks in the docks,and the racks are for the most part empty.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #37
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Sean Chu and Ward Sutherland have been the only two members of city council that I have actually stopped following on twitter (I've always made a point of following all city council members regardless of my politics). I just couldn't take the idiocy anymore.
I've been tempted to unfollow Chu for a while. Maybe I don't see enough of Ward's tweets to think the same of his'.

I don't think I've read a single tweet or even retweet of Chu's that hasn't made me shake my head.

You can tell he's a guy that doesn't even care to learn about issues. He has his preconceived ideas, and will spout them off continuously.

He gives Helene Larocque a run for the money on being the worst councillor ever, IMO.

He goes well beyond, "let's study these bike lanes a little bit more". It's very obvious that he'd prefer to have no infrastructure for bikes anywhere.

Another one, that he even campaigned on, is that his ward wasn't the highest priority for transit. Whether or not that is true is completely beside the point. He actively campaigned on not fighting for his own ward. Especially, with his ward right on the NCLRT line, he should be actively fighting for better transit in his ward.

He has a habit of belittling any issue that he doesn't see as important, which is highlighted by his endless mockery of anything to do with bike infrastructure.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #38
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

sean chu hasn't been in office for 6 months and its just one embarrassment after the other. the climate change comment was the worst though by far
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #39
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's his $138K campaign donor list (link) go to the embedded box... I can't be bothered to add up the Developers / Contractors on the list (and how much do you want to bet they had a hand in the $53K of "fundraising events") but I want to guess it's about 95% home building.

Do other candidates have developers as donors? - yes - here's the Sun's favorite Councillor Druh.

However, her list is at least diversified outside of the Developers - where as the pure concentration of them for Chu would seem to suggest his lips are firmly planted on the Developer's derriere.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #40
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I heard an interview with Chu on CBC radio earlier this year where he was proposing that straddle buses are a solution into Calgary's transit woes. Sure, council should explore any reasonable options but this interview was ridiculous. He came across like a young student generating random ideas for a school project rather than a city councillor in a major city.
Cant find the interview but here is a tweet from a Herald reporter:

https://twitter.com/markusoff/status/429309756692365313
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post: