Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #301
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Integrity commissioner recuses himself from Magliocca investigation. turns out Magliocca expensed a $163 lunch with the commissioner.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #302
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Integrity commissioner recuses himself from Magliocca investigation. turns out Magliocca expensed a $163 lunch with the commissioner.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ca-moves-ahead
What gets in people's heads when they get access to these entitlements?
pigs at a trough.
notice they abusers never go to a average joe place, and it's always higher end? If I ever go for lunch with someone for work reasons, it's $30 or $40. not $160.

I can't believe the Integrity commissioner at the time couldn't/didn't realize the city was covering the lunch.
hey Mag, you said you're buying and that's the corporate credit card you whipped out? eh. whatever. I'm still too full from my $80 worth of lunch to care.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 02-12-2020 at 07:30 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #303
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I can't believe the Integrity commissioner at the time couldn't/didn't realize the city was covering the lunch.
hey Mag, you said you're buying and that's the corporate credit card you whipped out? eh. whatever. I'm still too full from my $80 worth of lunch to care.

I can't believe the Integrity Commissioner would have let a councilor pay for the lunch in any capacity, whether it was a city expense or not.

'I just wanted to invite you on this social lunch to show what a man of integrity I am. Don't worry about the bill. I'll take care of it. Money’s no object for me, trust me.'
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #304
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
What gets in people's heads when they get access to these entitlements?
pigs at a trough.
notice they abusers never go to a average joe place, and it's always higher end? If I ever go for lunch with someone for work reasons, it's $30 or $40. not $160.

I am definitely not in the "this is OK behavior" camp. And I fully hope this is the end of Magliocca's career. But a work lunch for $30? Not unless your only hitting Subway. Taking a client out for lunch, with tip will be closer to $30pp with no beer and $40-50pp if you have 1-2 beer.

Now $163 is a bit crazy, but IMO, is as crazy as $30 if your talking a business lunch.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #305
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's a work lunch you shouldn't be having beer anyway. Especially if it is being expensed. Many private companies do not allow drinking at a lunch, why should Council be above that standard? You can go somewhere like Escoba and have a nice lunch for $20-$30, plus a beverage or 2 of some sort for around $30-$40 plus tax and tip.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #306
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm of the opinion if I go for lunch and there is work related stuff going on I am not paying out of pocket for that lunch. I can see reasons for a councilor and the integrity minister going for a work lunch for legitimate purposes so I am not sure there is something to be made here. Who was in attendance? What was discussed? Where did they go/how much was the bill?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #307
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If it's a work lunch you shouldn't be having beer anyway. Especially if it is being expensed. Many private companies do not allow drinking at a lunch, why should Council be above that standard? You can go somewhere like Escoba and have a nice lunch for $20-$30, plus a beverage or 2 of some sort for around $30-$40 plus tax and tip.
Many many companies also do. So if its not against city policy then there really isn't anything to complain about. If it IS against policy then obviously its an issue. Should it be against city policy? Thats a discussion to be had.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #308
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I can't believe the Integrity Commissioner would have let a councilor pay for the lunch in any capacity, whether it was a city expense or not.

'I just wanted to invite you on this social lunch to show what a man of integrity I am. Don't worry about the bill. I'll take care of it. Money’s no object for me, trust me.'
I don't understand this attitude. You have no idea what the lunch was for, whether they are friends or business associates. They might have been discussing work, or they might play rec hockey together.

The IC did exactly what he should have done and recused himself from the review, acknowledging that he might have a bias as one of the people that helped incur the expenses.
Canadianman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #309
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm of the opinion if I go for lunch and there is work related stuff going on I am not paying out of pocket for that lunch. I can see reasons for a councilor and the integrity minister going for a work lunch for legitimate purposes so I am not sure there is something to be made here. Who was in attendance? What was discussed? Where did they go/how much was the bill?

Did you even glance at the article?

Who was in attendance?
-Magliocca and LoVecchio (the integrity commissioner)

What was discussed?
-According to Lovecchio it was '"purely social" and not related to an investigation'

Where did they go
-Franca's Italian Specialties

How much was the bill?
-$163
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #310
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Did you even glance at the article?

Who was in attendance?
-Magliocca and LoVecchio (the integrity commissioner)

What was discussed?
-According to Lovecchio it was '"purely social" and not related to an investigation'

Where did they go
-Franca's Italian Specialties

How much was the bill?
-$163
I think we can easily answer the question there
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #311
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I don't understand this attitude. You have no idea what the lunch was for, whether they are friends or business associates. They might have been discussing work, or they might play rec hockey together.

The IC did exactly what he should have done and recused himself from the review, acknowledging that he might have a bias as one of the people that helped incur the expenses.

If they're friends or business associates, isn't that also a bias that should require him to recuse himself?

He's accepting free lunches from somebody he's supposed to be overseeing for things like paying for lunches with city money, and didn't realize how his lunch was paid for until somebody else pointed it out? Doesn't look too good to me.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #312
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1227664456609673218
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #313
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite the sh1t show in Calgary city hall.

In fact, in lots of municipalities around Alberta. It’s my business to follow those things.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #314
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the government relations world, municipalities are regularly considered the farm's farm team of politics. With the exception of some mayors, it is just an unprofessional gong show board to board.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #315
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Coun. Jeff Davison said on Wednesday that recusal isn't good enough.

"I think at this point it's become very abundant that the integrity commissioner is not independent," he said.

"At no time should an integrity commissioner be meeting to have social lunches with any member of council."

Coun. Jyoti Gondek says council members were told never to go for coffee or socialize at all with the integrity commissioner, who could potentially one day investigate complaints against them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...461145?cmp=rss

Sounds like a good policy, how could neither of them know this? Can we fire Maglioca too? Preferably out of a cannon?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #316
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like a good policy, how could neither of them know this? Can we fire Maglioca too? Preferably out of a cannon?
C'mon, that rule is for other people.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #317
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Throw in Sutherland for good measure.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #318
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So he recuses himself from the one case in forever where they need him to do an investigation...

Last edited by Misterpants; 02-12-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #319
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I am definitely not in the "this is OK behavior" camp. And I fully hope this is the end of Magliocca's career. But a work lunch for $30? Not unless your only hitting Subway. Taking a client out for lunch, with tip will be closer to $30pp with no beer and $40-50pp if you have 1-2 beer.

Now $163 is a bit crazy, but IMO, is as crazy as $30 if your talking a business lunch.
you have a point. I may have been a bit lowball, but my basic point stands.

what's wrong with going to an average place for an average burger or something?. so let's go with your low end as where I work, there is no drinking on the job. $30 per person with tip. that's $60. heck of a long way from $160 lunch with a coworker.

even if the lunch was a legit meeting, no way it needs to be at such an expensive place.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #320
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The best course I took at college was a Sales course. The prof was an ex salesman who said “if you take one thing away from this course, it won’t be from what the textbook tells you. It is this, don’t cheat on your expenses. I repeat don’t do it. So many people, smart people fired over what? $100. Your making $200K a year, bright future. Your SOL over $100. That is embarrassing and stupid but so many do it. You don’t do it”

I do the same thing with people I mentor now. Drill it right into them. Don’t get taken out being a punk doing punk a$$ things.

Sal could have used that lesson.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat