Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #81
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In one thread you've got people lamenting the current generation's inability to make ends meet and in the other you've got people building garages and owning 5 acres of land!

Whats going on?
I'm cheap, so I'm building it myself to save $. It's the can-do attitude of gen-xers that millennial's just don't have.

*ducks* take it to the other thread!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #82
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm cheap, so I'm building it myself to save $. It's the can-do attitude of gen-xers that millennial's just don't have.

*ducks* take it to the other thread!
Also cheap. Doing my own basement and will do a lot of the Garage myself too.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #83
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'll heat it. Doesn't the vent go up out the roof, or out the side? What is the issue I should be concerned with?
My bad. When I got quotes for my garage it had to be out the side, but it wasn't a stand alone garage. For some reason, I just assumed you'd vent out the side.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #84
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My bad. When I got quotes for my garage it had to be out the side, but it wasn't a stand alone garage. For some reason, I just assumed you'd vent out the side.
more expensive pipe if you vent horizontal (can't use single
wall B-Vent), and you want proper clearance from soffits.

Last edited by Flames_Gimp; 05-19-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #85
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if it's been said in this thread or not yet and of course it only works for attached garages, but every spring I thank the people who built our house for putting in the central vac nozzle in the garage. Just finished vacuuming both cars and cleaning up some dust from the winter and it really is awesome. I have used shop bags before and thought they were awesome, but whipping out the central vac is just so much better.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #86
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Not sure if it's been said in this thread or not yet and of course it only works for attached garages, but every spring I thank the people who built our house for putting in the central vac nozzle in the garage. Just finished vacuuming both cars and cleaning up some dust from the winter and it really is awesome. I have used shop bags before and thought they were awesome, but whipping out the central vac is just so much better.
Get a Honda Odyssey
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #87
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I've spent a bunch of time cleaning up the areas I needed to to get a good look at things like grade. Turns out, it seems no matter how I do it it is just to steep to get in from the alley.
Spoiler!

This is what I'm dealing with for the alley entry. I tried driving up it, and its silly steep. So I've gone to plan, uhm, C? Lets call it C. 21'x34'.
Spoiler!

I took out the fence and put both vehicles back there last night. The angle past the house isn't to bad, especially when backing in, which is what I would do. I just don't want to build something that others would not like in the future.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a full size truck and car parked in a 20 foot wide (interior) garage. Is that enough width? Keep in mind I won't be storing stuff on the walls where the vehicles are. Lots of room in front for that.

The benefit of this plan is a lot less excavating, but I lose the cool drive through option. I also end up with a lot of driveway to shovel!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #88
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have a 21' wide garage but I plan to build the same size to achieve at 20' interior width with 2x6 construction. For the last 5 years or so I've had a parking pad that measures 20'x20' and there are no problems parking a full size truck there. My old roommate had a F150 and I have a Frontier and both vehicles fit just fine. Now obviously 20' is not deep enough when you factor in garage doors but assuming you don't store things on the walls the width will be a non factor.

I should add an 18' garage door would help. I think backing into a 20' interior width garage with a 16' door in a full size truck might be tricky. Especially if you don't have a straight shot which it looks like you don't.

Now, can you not store things on the walls? I don't have a garage but from what I can tell they're mostly used as hoarding vessels and not vehicle parking.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #89
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Car and truck will be tight in a 20' wide garage and will be nearly impossible to get one in if the other is there already, unless you have an 18' wide door and a nearly straight shot in.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #90
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be going with an 18' door for sure. My test parking showed it to not be too much of a problem even with the angle. What really helped was moving my wife's car forward so it would be 4 feet from the door. I'll lose that space, but I'd rather have the length for the truck.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #91
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #92
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh, just thought you were trying to park a fullsize truck in there since it was mentioned in the post.

Either way, if you really want, you can use mine to test fit since it is about the same size with a laned entry,
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #93
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I want to have the option in the future of parking a full size. I'd hate to limit it by making a mistake here. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #94
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't parking the truck on the left, and pulling ahead a few feet be easier overall? That would give the truck a straight shot and the smaller car with better visibility would be the one maneuvering the angle out.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #95
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would, but I'm driving the truck, and my wife is driving the car. If you get my drift.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #96
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would, but I'm driving the truck, and my wife is driving the car. If you get my drift.
I definitely do!

(I dope my wife doesn't read this thread)
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #97
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I found out I can go a bit closer to the property line which allows me to go 22 ft wide, but I'll have to shorten it to 32 ft long due to eave overhang. It wasn't gong to be an issue before, but I think I'll do a hip roof to match the house which means eaves on all sides. Similar total sq ft, but the extra width will make this work better. I've just submitted my plans to the engineer for the pad so I feel like I am going to be getting somewhere soon!

Played around with Sketchup a bit. Neat program, though a little tough to get it to do what you want, particularly with ground level adjustments.
Spoiler!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #98
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parking pad is 18' wide and it barely accommodates a Sequoia and a Civic with enough room to open one vehicle's doors without hitting the other vehicle. And the outside doors can open over the side of the pad, so I'd say that 20' is pretty tight for a full sized truck and a car.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #99
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I think I'll be alright at 22'. It sounds like they are making "2 car" garages from 19' to 24'.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #100
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I think I'll be alright at 22'. It sounds like they are making "2 car" garages from 19' to 24'.
Bigger is better, like not monster, but if you can get an extra few feet in without the garage dwarfing the house or lot I would.

There is nothing better than a garage that fits 2 vehicles and some storage, also when you sell it a positive for your property.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####