Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #161
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you keep batteries in your pockets, especially with spare change or keys, you're gonna have a bad time.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #162
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #163
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

New study indicates vaping may lead to greater risk of heart disease compared to non-vapors.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...stract/2600166

I don't have access to the full article so I don't know the comparison between smokers and vaping (or if it was even discussed). It is likely lower risk than smokers.

There is an associated editorial that I believe summarizes much of the work done. again I don't have complete access to it.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...stract/2600160

Last edited by ernie; 03-09-2017 at 08:06 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #164
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
If you keep batteries in your pockets, especially with spare change or keys, you're gonna have a bad time.
like this...?

"Fire erupts in lawyer's pants during arson trial"

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2.../22709365.html
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #165
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
like this...?

"Fire erupts in lawyer's pants during arson trial"

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2.../22709365.html
Perhaps he was a liar....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #166
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hot hot pepper

Old 05-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #167
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/healt...ung/index.html

E-cigarettes heat liquid and turn it into vapor, which a user inhales and then exhales in a large puffy cloud. The liquid is known as e-juice, and it contains flavorings, propylene glycol, glycerin and often nicotine -- though many users are unaware of this final addictive ingredient.

The hostess had been vaping for only about three weeks last year when she developed symptoms bad enough to send her to the emergency room of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Not only did the hostess require a breathing machine, she needed tubes inserted on both sides of her chest to drain fluid from her lungs.

Ilona Jaspers, a professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Microbiology and Immunology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said the case study suggests that e-cigarettes will cause negative health consequences that had not been seen with conventional cigarettes.

The rapid spread of vaping was highlighted by a 2016 report from the US surgeon general that cited a 900% increase in e-cigarette use by high school students from 2011 to 2015. Meanwhile, the 2016 National Youth Tobacco Survey noted that 1.7 million high school students said they had used e-cigarettes in the previous 30 days.

Sommerfeld agreed. Using e-cigarettes "normalizes" smoking, she said, and is linked to an "increased likelihood of using typical cigarettes or tobacco products." For this reason, vaping and electronic cigarette use should be included in discussions of "risky behavior" with teens, she said.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #168
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well first of all, duh, second of all, every bottle of Vape liquid that I've seen has a label with the nicotine content. So anyone that's surprised is kind of being stupid.

As well, most clerks will ask you how heavy of a nicotine content do you want?

One thing that I've noticed is that a lot of people, and especially younger ones have like super charged vapes and the cloud coming out of their vehicles is enormous.

the vape I use will actually flash if I'm over generating

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #169
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're blowing a fog machine worth out the car window you're probably doing it wrong.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #170
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
If you're blowing a fog machine worth out the car window you're probably doing it wrong.
a friends kid said the bigger the cloud the better. apparently it's cool.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #171
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well first of all, duh, second of all, every bottle of Vape liquid that I've seen has a label with the nicotine content. So anyone that's surprised is kind of being stupid.

As well, most clerks will ask you how heavy of a nicotine content do you want?
I use liquid that is nicotine free, so I know juice is definitely available without nicotine.

I vape on occasion, perhaps a few times a month with a small entry level vape. Nothing crazy like the microphone sized ones you can mod. I previously would smoke every few months by bumming one or going and buying a cigar/cigarillo etc. as a stress relief. I'm pretty sure I vape more often now, but I think that's because it's available in a drawer at home and is more difficult to detect than cigarette smoke.

I really don't know if vaping zero nicotine juice is as bad to me as secretly smoking the occasional Bellmonts, Marlboro Menthols, cigarillo/cigars. I always felt it was approximately the same and something I'd enjoy on occasion like a junk food guilty pleasure.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #172
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/healt...ung/index.html

E-cigarettes heat liquid and turn it into vapor, which a user inhales and then exhales in a large puffy cloud. The liquid is known as e-juice, and it contains flavorings, propylene glycol, glycerin and often nicotine -- though many users are unaware of this final addictive ingredient.

The hostess had been vaping for only about three weeks last year when she developed symptoms bad enough to send her to the emergency room of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Not only did the hostess require a breathing machine, she needed tubes inserted on both sides of her chest to drain fluid from her lungs.

Ilona Jaspers, a professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Microbiology and Immunology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said the case study suggests that e-cigarettes will cause negative health consequences that had not been seen with conventional cigarettes.

The rapid spread of vaping was highlighted by a 2016 report from the US surgeon general that cited a 900% increase in e-cigarette use by high school students from 2011 to 2015. Meanwhile, the 2016 National Youth Tobacco Survey noted that 1.7 million high school students said they had used e-cigarettes in the previous 30 days.

Sommerfeld agreed. Using e-cigarettes "normalizes" smoking, she said, and is linked to an "increased likelihood of using typical cigarettes or tobacco products." For this reason, vaping and electronic cigarette use should be included in discussions of "risky behavior" with teens, she said.

I'm not sure what the point of this article is. She had an allergic reaction. What does that have to do with the long term safety for 99% of the population who vapes? And what does it have to do with the other fear mongering in the article? Nothing about this one random case has anything to do with the safety of vaping.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #173
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yup there is nicotine free juice, its labeled as such.

I really don't know if Vaping is more or less healthy, however there seems to be less of the chemicals from cigarettes in terms of Vaping, and I don't have that hacking cigarette cough and heavy chest feel.

I can also work down to lower levels of nicotine.

Its also a hell of a lot cheaper. A bottle of juice is $10 bucks and lasts a month or so

Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #174
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recent study done in England seems to think it's a hell of a lot better than traditional cigarettes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...vidence-review

If I fall off the wagon, I'd be looking at an ecig for sure. Apparently e-cigs will now be regulated by Health Canada.

My only concern with e-cigs atm is apparently the heating coils can give off some pretty bad fumes. That may be due to crappy/cheap ones. If you buy one made in North America with some quality to it, I'd imagine that's a better choice.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #175
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So as a continuation of my above post, I'm looking into this for my brother who knows he should at least try to quit, just hasn't bothered unless I harass him a bit.

What is the latest and greatest in e-cigs? Is there a recommended brand? His excuse up until this point is that e-cigs are worse for you than a regular one which all evidence seems to firmly smack down.

So many options out there, I have no idea what's good and what's to avoid. He wont bother with anything flavoured so that's easy enough. I assume there is nicotine only juices available? As for the c-cig itself, I see most people have those bulky looking ones, but see ads in my popular mechanics magazine that look like a regular cigarette but the tip glows blue. Any reason to stay away from those? I'm thinking the closer he is to feeling like he's actually smoking, the better his chances are of using it exclusively.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #176
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The mere act of using the vapor gets you over the psychological effect of not smoking.

I just used a basic vaporizer. I did find out that the bottom loading tanks just suck and for some reason you end up inhaling fluid. So I prefer the top loading tank

as far as liquids go. When I first stopped buying cigarettes, I would buy the heaviest nicotine liquid that I could find, but I also bought a bottle of zero nicotine fluid. Then as I went for refills I would mix the two with less and less nicotine.

Personally stay away from the flavored ones if your a smoker, because the flavored ones will make the act of smoking more pleasurable. I tended to smoke flavorless ones. If these was a flavor called hobo's butt crack, it would probably really make you stop smoking.

Also I tend to replace the tank once a month just to make sure that I'm actually getting vapor, if you don't eventually your not getting anything.

Right now a bottle of fluid runs about $10.00 and took me a month or more to get through. A basic tank will cost 8 to 10 bucks.

Also its best to also buy a second battery, if you're using a vap to stop smoking and halfway through a work day you run out of battery power, you'll end up buying a pack of smokes.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #177
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I've been vaping for about 4 years now - and off cigs - and have dropped from 24mg nicotine down to about 6mg. Soon I hope to quit altogether. But, as CC mentioned, since quitting smoking my health has dramatically improved: no more hacking up a lung in the shower every morning, no more heavy breathing after a simple flight of stairs, and I never cough up the gunk that every smoker does on a regular basis. I'm sure vaping is nowhere near as good as not-vaping, but it seems a hell of a lot better than smoking for my quality of life.

For ecig recs - I've tried many. The best I've ever found by far is the Endura T18. Not super easy to find - but you can order them online. There are no settings, and they have a huge atomizer/filter that lasts a long time, as does the battery. The smoke you get is about medium, and pretty satisfying - but not enough to smoke you out of a car or anything. I like its simplicity, and the fact that it always works well (used to kill me when one of them broke down...).
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #178
Shawn_Cronin44
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So as a continuation of my above post, I'm looking into this for my brother who knows he should at least try to quit, just hasn't bothered unless I harass him a bit.

What is the latest and greatest in e-cigs? Is there a recommended brand? His excuse up until this point is that e-cigs are worse for you than a regular one which all evidence seems to firmly smack down.

So many options out there, I have no idea what's good and what's to avoid. He wont bother with anything flavoured so that's easy enough. I assume there is nicotine only juices available? As for the c-cig itself, I see most people have those bulky looking ones, but see ads in my popular mechanics magazine that look like a regular cigarette but the tip glows blue. Any reason to stay away from those? I'm thinking the closer he is to feeling like he's actually smoking, the better his chances are of using it exclusively.

I'm relatively new to vaping (I quit smoking in February this year) and I wanted a simple setup. The dude at One Stop Vape Shop recommended the Smok Stick V8. It's super simple to operate and maintain as well the battery easily lasts throughout the day. I think it set me back $40 and was a complete setup.

As for juice I found that the fruit or dessert flavored juices didn't work for me. I found that I really like a flavor called Icy Menthol that I also picked up at One Stop Vape Shop. A bottle of juice is $20 and lasts me about 10 days.
Shawn_Cronin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn_Cronin44 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #179
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah depending on where your brother lives I'd definitely recommend a local shop for starters, where he can go re-up his supplies or come in with questions conveniently. The last thing you want to do is order the 'best' thing online, then if a coil fails or something like that you have to wait another 4-6 weeks for ordering and delivery.

Almost all of my shopping is online now but I know what I want, and have backup gear so getting the next 'drag' isn't dependent on shipping or what have you. If a smoker is placed in that type of situation they'll fall back onto cigarettes within 5 minutes.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #180
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I like the fruit and sometimes custard flavours. Trick for me is to pick something more mellow or even a bit tart for the fruity stuff.

Where they start to get overpowering is the sugary or juicy flavours. It’s like vaping a popsicle. I’ve got a mango flavour right now that’s almost perfect.

Two things to think about when buying a vape are battery life and tank size. If you will be using a lot you may have to sacrifice bulk for battery life. Other thing is tank size, pick something too small and you may need to refill constantly. And running out of battery or a tank can be a pain if you don’t want to carry juice and a charger/battery.

I have a Smok AL85 and battery life is fine, although I do have a second battery so I can easily switch out, but I do bring juice with me to work sometimes so I have enough to last all day, especially if I go out after work. I have a 5ml tank.

I don’t find it especially bulky. I vape a moderate amount I would say.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-14-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote