Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #1021
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Ezekiel 7:14 "And let it not be said that a man should treat his wife with cruelty, but rather, although he is ruler in his house, he shall not mistreat her nor beat her for her wanton ways with a rod thicker through than his thumb. The use of handcuffs and other devices of restraint shall also be totally optional, although certainly good in the eyes of the Lord."
Cute. Which rhetorical device does made up quotations fall under?

The "I-was-serious-but-then-got-called-out-for-being-full-of-it-so-went-with-sarcasm" fallacy?

Last edited by bizaro86; 09-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #1022
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Ezekiel 7:14 "And let it not be said that a man should treat his wife with cruelty, but rather, although he is ruler in his house, he shall not mistreat her nor beat her for her wanton ways with a rod thicker through than his thumb. The use of handcuffs and other devices of restraint shall also be totally optional, although certainly good in the eyes of the Lord."
Ezekiel 7:14
They have blown the trumpet,
they have made all things ready,
but no one will go into battle,
for my wrath is on the whole crowd.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #1023
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
No, it isn't. That's the point. Criticism of his diction is not valid. It's a meaningless quibble about unimportant nonsense.

The appropriate response, if you want to make any response at all, is "While I understand what you're getting at there Naheed, I find your particular wording rather unfortunate as it might be considered offensive despite the fact that everyone is aware you didn't intend it that way". To which I suspect the Mayor would reply something like, "Fair point, I'll retract the wording, but the sentiment stands - your questions are loaded and intellectually dishonest, intended to stir up controversy rather than discuss real issues facing Calgarians". Finished, done, end of "controversy", moving on.

VALID questions - like the underlying issue as to whether there's anything offside about relationships with Pembina - are worthy of discussion (at least potentially, if there's anything to them that can't be dismissed in thirty seconds). But at this point I'm not even clear as to the particulars of what Ezra was even driving at. Who is this group, what did the Mayor allegedly do to favour them, why is that a bad thing, and what information do we need to confirm or disconfirm the implied allegation being made? Christ, you could do this with BULLET points.

Instead we get 5 pages of wasted time and energy talking about common rhetorical responses to loaded questions. This does a disservice to anyone who actually cares about what's going on at city hall.

Says who? YOU? You are deciding this?

OK then...carry on.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #1024
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a note unrelated to ridiculous made up quotations or rhetorical devices: what was the deal with the contract for Pembina?

Is there a summary anywhere of what they're actually getting hired to do and how much we're paying them. I would generally be opposed to giving an anti-oil lobbying group municipal contracts for anything, but they don't seem especially qualified to give PR advice if that's what they were hired for. Why not hire a regular PR firm?

I've only seen second hand innuendo and vitriol though, so if I'm missing something I'd love to be corrected.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #1025
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Says who? YOU? You are deciding this? OK then...carry on.
Yes. Okay, sure, me. I'm deciding this. Unilaterally. I say that talking about people's word choice, rather than their policies, their record, their intended actions, their philosophy about what the best thing to do for (in this case) the City of Calgary might be, is a massive waste of time. It is a distraction from issues that really matter. There, it has been declared. If you disagree, good for you, but I say you're wrong and part of the problem.

The only reason it's done is to drum up controversy, because things like good government, transparency, effective policymaking, urban planning goals, these things are boring and the average dolt doesn't have the attention span to bother with them, much less learn enough about them to participate in an actual conversation.

Instead, just find something that everyone can understand and hopefully work themselves into a lather about in twenty seconds and then yell and scream about it as loud as possible. That'll sell a few papers. Doesn't particularly matter what relationship your yelling and screaming has with reality. In fact, the more illusory the better; if you're distorting the facts you're probably only doing so to make them more SENSATIONAL! and thus shinier and more eye-catching to the above-mentioned short-attention-span dolts.

This is quintessentially the problem with American politics and why it's more or less intolerable to follow at this point. The existence of people like Levant and the acquiescense and participation of people like, presumably, you, are making the Canadian political realm - not that it was particularly enlightened sphere in any event - much more like the USA's. This isn't a good thing, unless you follow politics for much the same reason people watch Big Brother.

Quote:
On a note unrelated to ridiculous made up quotations or rhetorical devices: what was the deal with the contract for Pembina?

Is there a summary anywhere of what they're actually getting hired to do and how much we're paying them. I would generally be opposed to giving an anti-oil lobbying group municipal contracts for anything, but they don't seem especially qualified to give PR advice if that's what they were hired for. Why not hire a regular PR firm?

I've only seen second hand innuendo and vitriol though, so if I'm missing something I'd love to be corrected.
SO WOULD I! That's precisely the problem with all of this! I have no idea if this Pembina thing is actually a real issue - previously if you said "Pembina" I'd assume "pipeline company". I still have no idea if this Pembina has any relationship to the pipeline concern. I have no clear sense of what's being implied in terms of what the Mayor did to or for whom. I have no concept of what the alleged impropriety is if there IS one being alleged as I assume. Obviously, knowing none of the foregoing, I have no idea to what extent the Mayor would be responsible or even aware of the issue if there IS an issue, or how big a problem it would be.

There's a total dearth of useful, meaningful information. Yet, again, we've been talking about this for five pages.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 09-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #1026
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Cute. Which rhetorical device does made up quotations fall under?

The "I-was-serious-but-then-got-called-out-for-being-full-of-it-so-went-with-sarcasm" fallacy?
I think your sarcasm detector is off, because that's not sarcasm. It's a joke, which obviously you don't find funny. Sorry, if I just say "Oops, I was wrong, should have checked my facts", will you be happy?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #1027
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

"Dracula: Ah...sarcasm. 'For what profit is it to a main if he gains the world, and loses his own soul'?. Matthew 16:26 I believe."
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #1028
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Pembina posted this response on their website today that explains it well: http://www.pembina.org/blog/748

It's funny that they were hired in 2009, before Nenshi was even elected.

As it says, they delivered a complete report document. It's not unrealistic to expect them to have employed editors, graphic designers, and other communications people to put together the final document. I believe Levant himself even stated that the bulk of the charges to the city were by the lead researcher, and that the communications people, although numerous, didn't charge that much time overall. That is perfectly logical for a document of this size.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #1029
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Levant, proud defender of ethical oil and the Albertans way of life, is trying to make it out that Nenshi is anti-oil.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #1030
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Pembina posted this response on their website today that explains it well: http://www.pembina.org/blog/748

It's funny that they were hired in 2009, before Nenshi was even elected.

As it says, they delivered a complete report document. It's not unrealistic to expect them to have employed editors, graphic designers, and other communications people to put together the final document. I believe Levant himself even stated that the bulk of the charges to the city were by the lead researcher, and that the communications people, although numerous, didn't charge that much time overall. That is perfectly logical for a document of this size.
I will ignore your facts and rational response in favour of more hyperbole and a misinformed frenzy.
- Sun Reader
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #1031
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Naheed Nenshi the Teflon mayor. You know when a guy messes up and still comes out in the minds of his followers as a saint that he's more cult than substance.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #1032
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Naheed Nenshi the Teflon mayor. You know when a guy messes up and still comes out in the minds of his followers as a saint that he's more cult than substance.
Actually, the reason he's Teflon (particularly to his supporters) is because he's got a ton of quality substance, which vastly outweighs a poor choice of words.

I'm now in favor of splitting this discussion from the thread. We're clearly off the rails from the intended purpose.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #1033
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You make it sound like he sent picks of his junk to women on the internet or something.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1034
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
You make it sound like he sent picks of his junk to women on the internet or something.
If it came out that he did that, his popularity would probably only increase.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #1035
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
If it came out that he did that, his popularity would probably only increase.
I can see the Sun headlines now:

"Nenshi Exposes Barney Stones"
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #1036
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know if it is specifically applicable in this case, but if I was Nenshi I would have gone straight to the Chewbacca defense.
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #1037
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Won't someone please think of the children?!

Seriously though, this is at least a class 3 political correctness violation. Someone call the P.C Police!

We all love the P.C Police, right?
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #1038
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

@latestnewsbot: Ezra Levant's ‘Gypsies' Comments Condemned By Broadcast Standards Council: Sun News host Ezra Levant violated ... http://t.co/PgPWvGeJJJ

http://www.cbsc.ca/english/documents...013/130909.php
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #1039
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I don't think that's something that any of us have to worry about with Nenshi. He's way too classy.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1040
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusebox View Post
I don't think that's something that any of us have to worry about with Nenshi. He's way too classy.
That's what they said about Weiner too.

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple