Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #181
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I like the fruit and sometimes custard flavours. Trick for me is to pick something more mellow or even a bit tart for the fruity stuff.

Where they start to get overpowering is the sugary or juicy flavours. It’s like vaping a popsicle. I’ve got a mango flavour right now that’s almost perfect.

Two things to think about when buying a vape are battery life and tank size. If you will be using a lot you may have to sacrifice bulk for battery life. Other thing is tank size, pick something too small and you may need to refill constantly. And running out of battery or a tank can be a pain if you don’t want to carry juice and a charger/battery.

I have a Smok AL85 and battery life is fine, although I do have a second battery so I can easily switch out, but I do bring juice with me to work sometimes so I have enough to last all day, especially if I go out after work. I have a 5ml tank.

I don’t find it especially bulky. I vape a moderate amount I would say.

Yeah, I usually have two batteries, but I find that each battery will last me three to four days. The 5ml tank will last me about three days, but I usually during the week will top up before I head to work. I find and maybe its mental that if the tank is half empty that I don't get as much of the vapor.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #182
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been vaping for 4 years. I am currently using the SMOAT Battelstar box mod, the Crown III tank with 0.5Ω Coil. I have been vaping 3mg nicotine max VG juice.

I don't research any of the products, I just go with what the clerk recommends when it's time to replace my vape. This set-up has been good and will be my last, I will be quitting when this set-up malfunctions.

I started with the pen type and they worked well.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #183
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-chi...tes-1536759001

Calling a surge in teen use of e-cigarettes an epidemic, the head of the Food and Drug Administration says he is considering pulling all flavored e-cigarettes from the U.S. market.

After years of declining U.S. smoking rates, sales of e-cigarettes have jumped in the past year, fueled in part by online startups selling vaporizers and nicotine-laced liquids. The most popular brand, Juul, sells refills with mango, cucumber and creme flavors. Each $4 pod contains as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes.

“The number of teenagers we believe are now using these products…has reached an epidemic proportion,” said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, who is expected to announce new measures Wednesday to curb underage use.

Dr. Gottlieb said he believes that certain flavors make the products appealing to teens. “The availability of e-cigarettes cannot come at the expense of addicting a new generation of youth onto nicotine, and it won’t,” he said in an interview.

The announcement marks an about-face for the agency, which in 2016 granted a grace period for e-cigarettes already on the market until the manufacturers submitted products for FDA review. Last year, Dr. Gottlieb extended that grace period to 2022, allowing Juul Labs Inc. and others to continue to sell their existing products.

The FDA said it was sending letters Wednesday to Juul and other top e-cigarette manufacturers, asking them to respond within 60 days with convincing plans for reducing teen use or risk having their products yanked.

The warning stopped short of what some antismoking groups have requested. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids has called for a total ban on flavored e-cigarettes and wants immediate removal of products that have been launched without FDA approval since 2016.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #184
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-chi...tes-1536759001

Calling a surge in teen use of e-cigarettes an epidemic, the head of the Food and Drug Administration says he is considering pulling all flavored e-cigarettes from the U.S. market.

After years of declining U.S. smoking rates, sales of e-cigarettes have jumped in the past year, fueled in part by online startups selling vaporizers and nicotine-laced liquids. The most popular brand, Juul, sells refills with mango, cucumber and creme flavors. Each $4 pod contains as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes.

“The number of teenagers we believe are now using these products…has reached an epidemic proportion,” said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, who is expected to announce new measures Wednesday to curb underage use.

Dr. Gottlieb said he believes that certain flavors make the products appealing to teens. “The availability of e-cigarettes cannot come at the expense of addicting a new generation of youth onto nicotine, and it won’t,” he said in an interview.

The announcement marks an about-face for the agency, which in 2016 granted a grace period for e-cigarettes already on the market until the manufacturers submitted products for FDA review. Last year, Dr. Gottlieb extended that grace period to 2022, allowing Juul Labs Inc. and others to continue to sell their existing products.

The FDA said it was sending letters Wednesday to Juul and other top e-cigarette manufacturers, asking them to respond within 60 days with convincing plans for reducing teen use or risk having their products yanked.

The warning stopped short of what some antismoking groups have requested. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids has called for a total ban on flavored e-cigarettes and wants immediate removal of products that have been launched without FDA approval since 2016.
Lets see the numbers then...

I don't know about that. It does make sense the would be using juuls and those kind of pod systems as in the states are available at tiny local corner stores and bodegas. Im sure alot of them don't give 2 ####s.

The FDA revamped everything last year and this year aroundnproper sales and approvals.

Make it so only real vape shops can sell these products and it will be better.

Example. The Vape shop I use will not even sell you products if you even mention its not for yourself but for your Friend/partner. Ive seen it. A lady in her 50s came in and said I need to pick up something for her Husband and the Manager straight out said "we don't sell to people who are not here in person" . It was because she mentioned it wasn't for her and she needed to look at a text to get the right product. They do this because for all they know it could be for a kid under the age.

Ive also seen them limit what they sell to people based on there ages and if you don't seem like you have any knowledge of vaping at all won't get them started at all( like if they are already a non smoker)

I don't think its best to blame just the products for this as the WSJ would lead you to believe. I think you need to setup a better system in the usa to limit sale tho proper shops only. Any respectable vape shop will act like the above example.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-12-2018 at 03:32 PM.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #185
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/youth-v...reflink=e2twsc

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/12/17850598/fda-juul-vaping

In an unusually candid letter, the Food and Drug Administration chief, Scott Gottlieb, announced on September 12 that the agency could intensify its crackdown on e-cigarettes in the face of an “epidemic” of teen use — a trend that’s caught the agency off guard.

“I use the word epidemic with great care,” Gottlieb wrote. “E-cigs have become an almost ubiquitous — and dangerous — trend among teens.”

The lengthy letter says the FDA is currently considering how to address the spiraling problem of youth vaping. Most surprisingly, Gottlieb said the agency could go as far as banning or curtailing access to and marketing of flavored e-cigarette products.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that sources who have seen the federal data say it shows the number of high schoolers who used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days increased by about 75 percent since 2017. That would mean 20 percent of high school students have experimented with cigarettes this year, the Journal estimated, up from 11 percent last year. (The FDA said it could not confirm these figures but that federal data will be published in the coming months.)

There have also been recent warnings from health researchers writing in the New England Journal of Medicine and other journals that e-cigarettes are more dangerous than many people currently realize.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/high-s...lass-1.4203675

A high school in North Vancouver, B.C. is locking the doors of the majority of its washrooms to prevent students from vaping during class time.

The bulletin said students were coordinating, via text messages, to meet each other in the washrooms to vape together during class.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #186
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ecigs are a great option and have had a positive impact on so many peoples lives.

I dont think chemgears constant fear mongering in this thread is going to do much to change the minds of those that have used ecigs to better their health and improve their lives.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #187
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Ecigs are a great option and have had a positive impact on so many peoples lives.

I dont think chemgears constant fear mongering in this thread is going to do much to change the minds of those that have used ecigs to better their health and improve their lives.
so you think everyone is lying about smoking rates are actually going up because of e-cigs and flavored tobaccos, especially among teens?

do you think it's harmless and no big deal?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #188
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
so you think everyone is lying about smoking rates are actually going up because of e-cigs and flavored tobaccos, especially among teens?

Smoking rates aren’t going up. Vaping rates are. They are fundamentally different but for whatever reason both articles treat them both the same.

All of the fearmongering fails to consider the obvious fact that not all vapes have nicotine.

The health effects of vaping are yet to be determined but I have a hard time believing it is worse than cigarettes.

It’s idiotic fearmongering by a bunch of old out of touch bureaucrats and politicians that have no goddamn idea what they’re talking about.

It’s nearly on the same level of stupidity as blaming Marilyn Manson, rap music and video games on teen violence.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #189
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand. I'm seeing this in the news. Are you saying "fake news?"

EDIT: You seem REALLY defensive and panicky. Nobody is trying to take vaping away from adults.

The FDA and the US Center for Disease Control are sending out warnings about increasing CHILD and TEENAGE usage ffs. Schools are in the news about usage in middle school and high school. Roving gangs of police aren't banging at your door to take vaping away from you.

They say nothing about taking it away from adults. Nor have I.

This is what they published:

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm625917.htm

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new findings from the National Youth Tobacco Survey (NYTS) showing that more than 3.6 million middle and high school students were current (past 30 day) e-cigarette users in 2018, a dramatic increase of more than 1.5 million students since last year.

According to the findings, the number of U.S. high school students who reported being current e-cigarette users increased 78 percent between 2017 and 2018 to 3.05 million (or 20.8 percent). Numbers among middle school students rose 48 percent to 570,000 (or 4.9 percent). The study authors suggest the rise in e-cigarette use in the last year is likely due to the recent popularity of certain types of e-cigarettes, such as JUUL.

“By one measure, the rate of youth e-cigarette use almost doubled in the last year, which confirms the need for FDA’s ongoing policy proposals and enforcement actions. HHS’s work will continue to balance the need to prevent youth use of e-cigarettes with ensuring they are available as an off-ramp for adults who are trying to quit combustible cigarettes.

The uptick in e-cigarette use has led overall tobacco product use to increase by 38 percent among high school students (to 27.1 percent) and by 29 percent among middle school students (to 7.2 percent) in the last year, reversing the positive decline seen over the last few years.

Last edited by chemgear; 12-04-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #190
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Smoking rates aren’t going up. Vaping rates are. They are fundamentally different but for whatever reason both articles treat them both the same.

All of the fearmongering fails to consider the obvious fact that not all vapes have nicotine.

The health effects of vaping are yet to be determined but I have a hard time believing it is worse than cigarettes.

isn't nicotine like the least troublesome thing you are breathing in when smoking? I know nicotine is the addictive substance that gets you hooked on smoking but it doesn't seem much if any worse to me than caffeine. Sure its addictive but unless you need 3 pots of coffee a day you really aren't seeing negative effects.

so all the tar and crap is not in vapes, and now you aren't burning it (which burning anything creates carcinogens) so the health effects (I know, I know, we can't 'know' what the health effects are until they do like 100 years of study) just on the face seem miles ahead of cigarettes and we get to have our kick of nicotine.

I for one love ecigs, tried Blu years ago when they first came out but the quality of the vape, and the supply was not ready to replace cigs yet (for me anyway) but I've been smoking a Juul for the last 2 months now and love it, don't miss my cigs at all. 1/2 the price, and they ship straight to my house inside a week of order. I also have no plans to use this to quit smoking but as a permanent healthier replacement.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #191
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

As mentioned, smoking rates are not going up. In fact, they are plummeting rapidly. Vaping rates are going up but vaping and smoking are not the same thing or even close to the same thing. Equating vaping and smoking would be like equating water and gasoline because they are both liquids.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #192
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As mentioned, smoking rates are not going up. In fact, they are plummeting rapidly. Vaping rates are going up but vaping and smoking are not the same thing or even close to the same thing. Equating vaping and smoking would be like equating water and gasoline because they are both liquids.
Sorry, what!? Equating smoking and vaping is entirely fair because they both involve inhaling nicotine (and other chemicals).

If you like vaping, go for it. If you're trying to quit smoking, then my advice is to book a couple days off work either side of the weekend, hole up with some jazz cabbage and a lot of frozen fruit, and ride the mother-f****r out. It will be hell, but worth it. Keep a sealed pack of smokes on you, so that way you're not tempted to have "just one cig" or "just one drag." If you cave, you're caving properly.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
New Health Canada figures say Canadians over 25 smoked more tobacco and cannabis last year than they did two years before.Health Canada closely tracks trends in tobacco, alcohol and drug use among Canadians 15 and older to help develop policies and programs.
The prevalence of cigarette smoking among those 25 and up was 16 per cent in 2017, an increase from 13 per cent two years earlier.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...arette-smoking

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #194
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Long term trends show a massive decline. I wouldn't put much stock in year over year numbers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #195
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
isn't nicotine like the least troublesome thing you are breathing in when smoking? I know nicotine is the addictive substance that gets you hooked on smoking but it doesn't seem much if any worse to me than caffeine. Sure its addictive but unless you need 3 pots of coffee a day you really aren't seeing negative effects.

so all the tar and crap is not in vapes, and now you aren't burning it (which burning anything creates carcinogens) so the health effects (I know, I know, we can't 'know' what the health effects are until they do like 100 years of study) just on the face seem miles ahead of cigarettes and we get to have our kick of nicotine.

I for one love ecigs, tried Blu years ago when they first came out but the quality of the vape, and the supply was not ready to replace cigs yet (for me anyway) but I've been smoking a Juul for the last 2 months now and love it, don't miss my cigs at all. 1/2 the price, and they ship straight to my house inside a week of order. I also have no plans to use this to quit smoking but as a permanent healthier replacement.
I think the jury is still out on whether it’s a carcinogen itself. However, I believe it is known to aggravate/propagate cancer, may cause recurrence, hinders your immune system from attacking tumors and disrupts cancer treatments.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #196
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Long term trends show a massive decline. I wouldn't put much stock in year over year numbers.
Right, I just don't think they are plummeting rapidly. I suspect they did that years ago, and have probably leveled out. Without any major policy changes, they probably aren't going to drop much more than the level they are at, and have been at for years.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #197
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...eens-1.5188503

No ID required: Vape products easy to buy for Calgary youth

Five of 16 vape shops sold to kids without checking for ID

Five stores, four known to the teenagers and one picked at random, were willing to sell to the teens without asking for their age or identification. Charging between $10 and $40, the teen purchased vape juice as high as 50mg of nicotine per millilitre, a much higher concentration than in a single cigarette.

Across Canada health professionals are calling the youth vaping problem a crisis.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #198
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vape Naysh yall

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #199
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

San Francisco becomes first major U.S. city to ban e-cigarette sales to combat teen vaping

Quote:
San Francisco became the first major U.S. city to ban e-cigarette sales, putting itself at the center of a public health debate amid the rise of teenage vaping — even as the industry’s leading e-cig brand sits in its backyard.

An ordinance approved Tuesday by the Board of Supervisors and expected to be signed by the mayor prohibits the sale of e-cigarettes that have not undergone premarket review by federal regulators. None have. But the measure has been criticized by e-cigarette makers — including the San Francisco-based market leader Juul Labs — and some public health officials who question whether there’s any real benefit to banning the products while cigarettes — a top killer of adults in the United States — are still widely sold.

Health officials warn that nicotine can harm the development of teenagers’ brains, including parts that control attention, learning, mood and impulse control. Last year, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported a 78 percent increase in vaping among high school students, and 48.5 percent for middle school students. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has sought to reduce vaping among teens, many of whom are drawn to the products for their fruity flavors and enticing advertising.

City Attorney Dennis Herrera said the measure is a step toward preventing “another generation of San Francisco children from becoming addicted to nicotine.” The ban applies to brick-and-mortar stores as well as to online purchases shipped to a San Francisco address.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.468fb8683a16
Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #200
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they banned guns yet?

How about pooping in public?
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote