Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #61
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

- When the C-train stopped at Anderson.
- The old skyline - actually liked it better without Bankers Hall II (not even the same colour as Bankers Hall I), Centennial (IMO, a mirror image of Canterra would've looked sweet on that site), the Bow (to fat for it's height, and blocks Suncor and the Tower from many angles), Eighth Avenue Place (it fills the gap between two buildings in my view, creating three overlapping building instead of two with a space between them) and Jamieson Place (the gap in the middle is just weird - and it's a big blue square block).
- Canada Day fireworks at Scotsman Hill.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #62
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Bonzai was by shanks south
No, it was further north. The parking lot was on the corner of Macleod and Heritage and the slides were at the top of the hill just north of where the Minit Lube is now. The slides were only torn down within the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
watching every game on channel 7 for free (now we gotta pay for sportsnet and ppv)
Except it wasn't close to every game, usually only something in the mid to high 20s. There were a lot of untelevised games back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Old Chinook Mall with the marble pillars with cheesy 1960s gold flake in them and on the floor, etc. You can see the remnants on the staircase going to the bowling alley (is it still there?)

I hardly remember the layout anymore. Where was the old foodcourt?
The Sport Chek is where the old theatre was. The entrance to the theatre was just beside the old foot court. So, basically, the food court is still in the same location, but it's a lot bigger now.

There used to be a fountain in front of Woodward's, where the Bay cosmetics counter entrance is now.

I remember when you had to go outside and cross a street on the ground floor of Chinook to go from one part of the mall to the other. Apparently, it was originally 2 separate malls, but I don't remember that far back.

Also in the Chinook area, Maclin Ford and Courtesy Chrysler were on the east side a Macleod, across from Chinook, and there was a hotel (the Trade Winds) where the Work Wearhouse and A&W are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My grandparents still call a few Safeways "Food for Less"
The Safeway at Southcentre and the one on 32nd north of Sunridge were both originally Food for Less stores. I think there was also one in the NW, but I don't know where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
The polar bear and seal exhibit at the zoo.
Remember the one display they had where one of the seals had died and they removed all the contents of its stomach and it was full of coins and other odd items people had thrown into the display? It was really sick that it had ingested all of that stuff and eventually it died because of all of that stuff in its stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Hookers on 3rd ave.
When I was taking my driver training, it was the middle of summer and they used to take you down 3rd Avenue because it had 4-way stops at every intersection. At one street, I stopped as required and a hooker tried to proposition my instructor. It was funny as he was trying to hurry me out of there, but because I was just learning to drive, I made sure I came to a full stop and ensured it was safe to proceed before doing so.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #63
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

My driving instructor took me to a spot downtown where you could make a left turn from the third lane into the third lane on a red light, one-way to one-way. I can't remember where it was, but I think it's gone.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #64
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah good old Food for Less. Before debit cards were common my mother used to pay by cheque. She would always have to write more than one because she always wrote down "Less for More" on the first cheque.

I also miss the Corral 4 and Sunset Drive-ins. I always loved the animated snacks that played during the intermission between movies.

Last edited by Roast Beef; 07-16-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #65
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

These threads (or thread im not sure) always brings up some great stuff and all i can ever think of are the nameless arcades on 17th ave, the Super S drugs near 14st and 17th ave, and the '2nd hand Record/Book Store' right across 14th from that. Havent lived in Calgary for going on 10 years, but i dont think the Record/Book Store is there anymore. Man there were some treasures to be found there. Trying to remember the name, but its escaping me. Also recall Wise Computer Solutions across from McMahon (biking there from Scarboro area to buy a floppy disk (!) PC game seemed like going from one side of the universe to the other).

hmm... White Spot near Westbrook mall?

a veritable wall of soda pop flavours (which you could sample) at a grocery store on upper 17th ave?

more random memory blips...
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #66
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much nostalgia:

- The bobsleigh and ski jump simulators in the Calgary Tower
- The old passenger station downtown behind the Palliser. (this is when passenger trains still came to Calgary - real ones, not the froofy Rocky Mountaineer) I remember riding the VIA to Banff and back when I was a kid
- North Hill Mall and the ghetto theatre there
- The old drive-in on 16th near Deerfoot
- Bonzai water slide on Macleod was awesome. Count me among it's victims - I still bear a small scar on my rib cage from getting my impaled by the valve stem of one of the tubes on their tube ride. Anyone remember Surf City out by Chestermere?
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #67
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
hey careful i watched the Dark Crystal and Krull there

(you mean the big one right)

and one of the shops in that foodcourt used to have some badass 'kobe beef'

actually maybe it was kobe beef
Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #68
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
So much nostalgia:

- The bobsleigh and ski jump simulators in the Calgary Tower
- The old passenger station downtown behind the Palliser. (this is when passenger trains still came to Calgary - real ones, not the froofy Rocky Mountaineer) I remember riding the VIA to Banff and back when I was a kid
- The old drive-in on 16th near Deerfoot
- Bonzai water slide on Macleod was awesome. Count me among it's victims - I still bear a small scar on my rib cage from getting my impaled by the valve stem of one of the tubes on their tube ride. Anyone remember Surf City out by Chestermere?
When my family moved here from Ontario in 1980 we spent 3 days on a train out here and that was the station that we arrived at.

The theater at North Hill Mall was at one time the biggest screen in the city (besides drive-ins of course)

How about the Palace Theater downtown where Flames Central is now. I remember seeing a doubleheader of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #69
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ Funnily enough I watched Return of the Jedi there. Pretty proud of that, because:

apparently Wampas traumatized me and my Empire Strikes Back experience in theaters only lasted about 15 minutes or so

(also saw leviathan at the palace.. man that was bad)
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #70
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

The clock tower at the Stampede with this in it:

That building up at the top of Blackfoot with the big OV sign similar to:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #71
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also remembering meeting Ed Whalen a couple times and he was the nicest man ever.

Last edited by icarus; 07-16-2010 at 04:26 AM.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #72
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

There was a small theme park/fair groud west of town way back when as well...Happy Valley or something like that?

Some one mentioned Studio 82 when it was a theater...saw Altered States in umm...an altered state there. Mind bending stuff at the time.

Used to party like rock stars at a place called twin bridges as well.

And there was the Magic Stick bar in the old Majestic hotel...yikes there are some stories from that time.

There was another night club we used to frequent that was located on the corner of MacLeod and Glenmore....in a hotel as well that i cant remember the name of.

I remember when we moved to Oakridge to some condos on Southland dr a couple blocks east of the CO-OP mall there (24 st maybe?) ...anyhow we had the furthest end unit to the East as well..and if you walked out our door and walked maybe 15 feet there was barbed wire fencing around a huge lot that held horses in it. If you crossed that you would be in the parking lot of the Leisure Center. Cowtown in all its glory no doubt.

Pop rocks and bottle caps.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #73
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mister Soft Drink. Specifically, the Mister Soft Drink in the Bonavista mall, getting cotton candy direct out of the machine and playing the Karnak arcade game. Also, playing Rampage the arcade game at the Family Leisure Centre and that monster video arcade down on 7th Ave and playing lots of Bubble Bobble there.

When going to Spruce Meadows was a long drive through the country.

Last edited by icarus; 07-16-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #74
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buying Doc Martens at Divine Decadence on 17th & records at the Attic on Stephen Ave. Is Boodlum still down there?
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #75
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Mister Soft Drink
I think there used to be one of those in the Plaza at 64th Ave and 4th St NE
Maybe it was called Mr Pop or Mr Soda I can't remember.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #76
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
I think there used to be one of those in the Plaza at 64th Ave and 4th St NE
Maybe it was called Mr Pop or Mr Soda I can't remember.
There was definitely one just off of MacLeod on, I think, 53rd Ave SE. Was one of the few places you could take your bottles back for recycling at the time (which I am sure had just been invented).

Styrofoam burger boxes at McDonald's.

Mother's Pizza.

Calaway Park when it was state-of-the-art Flintstones-themed fibreglass and not derelict. Same with the dinosaur park at the zoo.

Last edited by icarus; 07-16-2010 at 04:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to icarus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #77
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This. When Calgary radio was GOOD!

RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #78
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Used to listen to the AM106 top ten at ten every night in bed circa 1989-1991 and would know the words to every song.

Guess everyone goes through that stage growing up when they discover pop music and for me it was AM106 provided that to me.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #79
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I miss all the old theatres downtown - The Showcase Grande with stadium seating when stadium seating had all but vanished. And the theatres under the Calgary Tower (now Vertigo) with a beautiful spiral staircase. And there were some great old theatres on 4th Ave which is now the Metropolitan Centre. And who could beat going to the buck theatres at Esso Plaza where the screen was pretty much the size of an average TV now.

Other things
- The A&W on Centre Street with drive up service. Used to go there Fridays when I was a kid with my folks
- The last old school DQ on 14th Street NW by John Laurie
- White Spot (old White Spot with the great salad bar not the new ones)
- Watching the Strikers (and other various defunct soccer teams) at Mewata Field
- The 88's
- Walking through creepy Victoria Park after a Flames game and stopping at the little corner store.
- Old-school video stores like "Jumbo Video" "Flicks" and "More Than Video"
- The old mall off 64th Ave/14th Street in the NW with the fantastic vintage bowling alley in the basement (it's now a condo complex)
- Birthday at the "Enchanted Castle"
- 80's night at the Embassy on 9th Avenue.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #80
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Nobody misses the Cannons, huh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time