Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #41
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

- Personally I’d keep Frolik just because of the chemistry he has with the 3M line. Nobody else has shown the same type of chemistry and productivity and I’m not sure it’ll be easy to just find another guy.

- I’d try to find takers for Stone, Czarnik and if need be, Ryan’s contracts. I’m not sure these guys bring enough value per dollar to justify their cap hits.

- I’d also like to trade Neal’s contract, but I realize this will be difficult. If the team can find an equally bad contract with a lesser cap hit or less term, I’d absolutely explore that option.

All in all, removing $13+ million and adding xx.xx could free up enough to not only sign the key RFAs, but the team might even have enough to add a quality free agent. Preferably, a 1 or 2 year term because I think most of us have seen enough bad long term deals by now.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
- Personally I’d keep Frolik just because of the chemistry he has with the 3M line. Nobody else has shown the same type of chemistry and productivity and I’m not sure it’ll be easy to just find another guy.

- I’d try to find takers for Stone, Czarnik and if need be, Ryan’s contracts. I’m not sure these guys bring enough value per dollar to justify their cap hits.

- I’d also like to trade Neal’s contract, but I realize this will be difficult. If the team can find an equally bad contract with a lesser cap hit or less term, I’d absolutely explore that option.

All in all, removing $13+ million and adding xx.xx could free up enough to not only sign the key RFAs, but the team might even have enough to add a quality free agent. Preferably, a 1 or 2 year term because I think most of us have seen enough bad long term deals by now.
Neal you are stuck with unless you can find a similar contract and performance and just hope that the fit is better for each guy. Otherwise, you just hope maybe he finds his footing over time.

Ryan is attractive to teams that like the fancy stats, so there's that. If he could edge up his production he'd be a no brainer for another team (but then again he'd be a no brainer here too).

Stone is moveable IMO. Too bad because he wants to be in Calgary, but he can't have much longer to play and he can return post-career.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I think Frolik, stone are likely gone.

I also think one of hamonic/Brodie will be moved, question is just when.

I'm not overly concerned. When the best 3 players on the team (Giordano, Monahan, Gaudreau) are all under $7M, you are in good shape. Really regret that neal deal though.
wait and see how he does in the playoffs
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I also think $2.0 m is low, but I certainly see Rittich’s number landing under $3.0 m. Casey DeSmith’s new contract is the closest comparable, and he just signed for three years @ $1.25 m.
Yeah, I fall more on the side of Rittich signing fairly inexpensive. He's been "Big Save Dave" this year... but it's still just a one year track record and he's an RFA. He's 26 and hasn't made a lot of money yet (relatively speaking all NHL'ers get a lot but so far he hasn't made "life-altering" money) so I kind of think that if you slide a contract at him worth $10,000,000.00 (over 4 years, 2.5M per) he probably ends up signing it. It's enough to set him up for life, it's cheap for the team if he stays "Big Save Dave", It's not great if he's a one year wonder as a starter and ends up a backup afterwards but it's not godawful either, and it gives him a crack at unrestricted free agency later.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #45
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah Rittich's number is arguably a bigger wildcard than Tkachuk, I am sure they have an idea where Tkachuk will slot at least. Bennett is also a big question mark, I wonder if he might take his qualifying offer and be a year from UFA status, given he is only 2 years from UFA status could see him hardballing on any long term deal since he wouldn't get offered huge money as an RFA anyway. Even though he hasn't lit it up, UFAs get paid.

Current cap 79.5
Projected cap 83 mil (link)

Flames current cap space 2019-20 : 12.5 mil
With cap growth : 16 mil

9 forwards and 8 defencemen signed. For argument sake, swap Kylington with a forward like Mangiapane with a similar cap hit.... another depth forward (Quine/Dube/Hathaway) is probably $800-850K.

Remaining need to sign 2 forwards (Bennett and Tkachuk) and 2 goalies (Rittich and ?) with that 15.2 mil left.

If Rittich takes 2.5, they're laughing, could probably even add. But given they are buying UFA years and the flames don't have any alternatives, I don't see him going that low personally.

My best guess if the season keeps trending this way and the wheels don't fall off would be 3.5 for Rittich on about 3 years, 3.5 for Bennett if they want to lock him down longer term or 1.95 if he just takes the qualifying deal, 8-8.5 for Tkachuk with term.

So they probably do need to move Stone out this summer just to have that flexibility and fit in a backup but it's not a dire situation by any stretch, just think Rittich is the wildcard.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #46
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Yeah Rittich's number is arguably a bigger wildcard than Tkachuk, I am sure they have an idea where Tkachuk will slot at least. Bennett is also a big question mark, I wonder if he might take his qualifying offer and be a year from UFA status, given he is only 2 years from UFA status could see him hardballing on any long term deal since he wouldn't get offered huge money as an RFA anyway. Even though he hasn't lit it up, UFAs get paid.

Current cap 79.5
Projected cap 83 mil (link)

Flames current cap space 2019-20 : 12.5 mil
With cap growth : 16 mil

9 forwards and 8 defencemen signed. For argument sake, swap Kylington with a forward like Mangiapane with a similar cap hit.... another depth forward (Quine/Dube/Hathaway) is probably $800-850K.

Remaining need to sign 2 forwards (Bennett and Tkachuk) and 2 goalies (Rittich and ?) with that 15.2 mil left.

If Rittich takes 2.5, they're laughing, could probably even add. But given they are buying UFA years and the flames don't have any alternatives, I don't see him going that low personally.

My best guess if the season keeps trending this way and the wheels don't fall off would be 3.5 for Rittich on about 3 years, 3.5 for Bennett if they want to lock him down longer term or 1.95 if he just takes the qualifying deal, 8-8.5 for Tkachuk with term.

So they probably do need to move Stone out this summer just to have that flexibility and fit in a backup but it's not a dire situation by any stretch, just think Rittich is the wildcard.
This seems fairly reasonable. I think that your estimation for Bennett is a little low. He will likely try and sign for 3M.

My general rule of thumb is that every 10 points equals about a million in cap hit. Bennett is on pace for another 30 point season, he also has upside and intangibles.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #47
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This seems fairly reasonable. I think that your estimation for Bennett is a little low. He will likely try and sign for 3M.

My general rule of thumb is that every 10 points equals about a million in cap hit. Bennett is on pace for another 30 point season, he also has upside and intangibles.
Gonna have to remember that 10 pt per mil thought and check it out. For me the other factors at play varying the cost are RFA vs UFA years and physical play.

I see his two remaining RFA years as not being real expensive because of the lack of leverage but the UFA years will be costly, even though he is not producing a ton he'll only be 24/25 as a UFA and someone will pay big because of his willingness to fight and how rare that skillset is becoming in the NHL, during a time when the execs come from a fighting era.

If he ends up with 15 goals and 30 points I could see 2.5 mil an RFA year and 4ish per UFA year while he is still in his prime. Wonder if him and the Flames could settle on something like 3.5 x 4 where he stays with the core through the contending window but still has a chance at a big deal later on.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post: