Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Jan 12 Practice Notes

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
David Rittich and Elias Lindholm both absent at practice this afternoon. Both got roughed up a little last night. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Czarnik might be out against Arizona, assuming Lindholm is purely out for maintenance.

#Flames at practice today:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Lindholm and Rittich both getting maintenance days.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glad it’s maintenance. Realistically, the Flames are likely going with Smith tomorrow anyway. He needs to get a game in here before the Allstar break
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How did people think Mangiapane played in his first game back? I thought his timing was off a little (to be expected) but showed some good tenacity- especially with the role he’s being asked to play.

Czarnik had a great look but couldn’t cash but I’m still a believer in his skill set. He’s just got to be able to generate chances consistently.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
How did people think Mangiapane played in his first game back? I thought his timing was off a little (to be expected) but showed some good tenacity- especially with the role he’s being asked to play.

Czarnik had a great look but couldn’t cash but I’m still a believer in his skill set. He’s just got to be able to generate chances consistently.
Mangiapanne made me pine for Quine.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Probably a last look at Mangiapane before he gets sent back down.

Last edited by Toonage; 01-12-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane and Ryan with 4 minutes of ice time each vs. Florida. I don’t think Mangiapane will be up much longer.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane has had a decent period to show what he is made of. I still think he can make it full time in the NHL, but it is time to give Lazar (or Rychel) a chance in the NHL.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep them hungry on the farm, but Hathaway and Quine are likely to be the two guys seeing the most time down the stretch on the 4th line IMO.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg

Verified account

@Fan960Steinberg

Mike Smith starts tomorrow vs. Arizona. #Flames
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see an NHLer in Mangiapane.

I would much prefer having Lazar, Quine, or Dube up. And I hope we get a chance to see Phillips soon as well (though I think he needs another season or 2 in the AHL to get stronger before he has a chance of becoming a full time NHLer).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we leave Phillips down this year. He probably won't see any time in the top 6 (or even the third line) and that is what he needs right now. Same situation with Dube. Dube has gotten a taste of the NHL, but he needs solid minutes playing down with the Heat.

Lazar, Quine, Rychel or Mangiapane can rotate up and down. I'll also be happy with a trade deadline pick up for our 3rd/4th lines.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pat Steinberg

Verified account

@Fan960Steinberg

Pretty much guaranteed just based on last night. I think the last goal went in because Rittich was feeling it in his left leg after the late goal mouth collision.

IMO you let Rittich recover as long as he needs lest the tweak flare up into a full injury and wee have Smith the Starter by default.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pat Steinberg

Verified account

@Fan960Steinberg

Right choice for sure. Start Smith against the low-scoring teams and hope he doesn’t let in too many back breakers.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would guess that it goes:

ARI: Smith
BUF: Rittich
DET: Smith
EDM: Rittich
CAR: Rittich

up to the break. That would give Rittich 5, 2 and 2 days off between the 3 starts, or 3 starts in 11 days.

Then there is a 9 day break before the game in WAS, so 3 starts in the last 20 days of January.

Then the sprint to the playoffs begins, and I think you basically run with Rittich, other than the 3 back-to-backs in Feb and March, until their playoff fate is determined, then start resting him / managing his time, before the post-season.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Peters right at the end of this video from today suggesting that the players are “gonna see some consistency in the lines, which is gonna help the guys also”

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pet...092/c-64860803

I love it. Peters got the band back together on the top pairing, and I am inferring that he is doing likewise with the 3M line

It makes a lot of sense to me
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm - arguably top line in the league, obviously a huge advantage the team has, so no need to change that
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik - for a couple of years was on many nights the best line
Bennett - Janko - Neal - The two kids played really well for the short stint that the veteran Jagr was with them . If Neal can get sorted, almost a 2B line

I don’t mind interchanging Bennett and Frolik, and think that if Jankowski can continue to progress, then the only thing blurring the 2nd and 3rd line rankings is the fact that Tkachuk has emerged as a top player.

Ryan and Hathaway are, to me, fourth liners, can be counted on for a bit of energy and not to be scored on, can give a young player reps, and the bench is easily shortened when Peters needs to.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #17
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
David Rittich and Elias Lindholm both absent at practice this afternoon. Both got roughed up a little last night. #Flames

Hmmm I guess that's why Lindholm posted a video at COP on instagram earlier today, now we know why. Haha.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #18
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Peters right at the end of this video from today suggesting that the players are “gonna see some consistency in the lines, which is gonna help the guys also”

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pet...092/c-64860803

I love it. Peters got the band back together on the top pairing, and I am inferring that he is doing likewise with the 3M line

It makes a lot of sense to me
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm - arguably top line in the league, obviously a huge advantage the team has, so no need to change that
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik - for a couple of years was on many nights the best line
Bennett - Janko - Neal - The two kids played really well for the short stint that the veteran Jagr was with them . If Neal can get sorted, almost a 2B line

I don’t mind interchanging Bennett and Frolik, and think that if Jankowski can continue to progress, then the only thing blurring the 2nd and 3rd line rankings is the fact that Tkachuk has emerged as a top player.

Ryan and Hathaway are, to me, fourth liners, can be counted on for a bit of energy and not to be scored on, can give a young player reps, and the bench is easily shortened when Peters needs to.
Yup I really like the lines as they are right now. Jankowski has shown growth and Bennett and Neal haven't produced nearly enough to be on the second line consistently. Frolik hasn't either, but he's been injured and also has history on his side with that line, not to mention his two-way game is much better than the other two guys.

I'd take Peters' statement about consistency with the lines with a grain of salt though. He mixes the lines frequently when he feels its needed (like yesterday) and it works.

Last edited by activeStick; 01-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post
Hmmm I guess that's why Lindholm posted a video at COP on instagram earlier today, now we know why. Haha.
Hitting up the boneyard with Ritter?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #20
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith against Arizona I like it
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote