Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I hate Sportsnet.

Not only is their production poor but their shunning of out of market fans at times is criminal. Last Saturdays Flames game was a regional. Tmrw's game is only on SNW again while SN is showing the Sharks and the Kings. Why the hell am I being blacked out from watching a Canadian team but I can watch two American teams? Network is a f'n joke!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I pay like $130 a year for the NHL package.

This justifies any means to watch any game.

Period.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Jeez, back when I was a kid we were lucky if we got 8 Flames games on TV in an entire season.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a kid I remember watching the Flames on channels 2&7! I cant rightly remember how many games a year were broadcast.

Now I'm paying for center ice (I live in victoria). Really costly considering I only watch Flames games for the most part. Actually this may be the only year it's been worth the cost!

Sure would have been better for Canadian fans if that big contract would have been split between the networks. Competing for viewers would have probably resulted in less blackouts and a better overall production!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I subscribe to every Sportsnet channel, and Gamecentre Live. I spend a lot of time out of town in hotels. So when I'm in Alberta, but the hotel doesn't have the sportsnet channel the Flames game is on, I still can't watch on Gamecentre because it's blacked out since I'm technically still in the broadcast region. So my options are either watching the game legally via Sportsnet Now on my laptop in laggy 240p #### quality, or finding a full HD illegal stream.

I tried giving you my money Sportsnet but since you couldn't hold up your end of the bargain, I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from everything and just always using the illegal streams

Last edited by btimbit; 12-21-2018 at 07:35 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I subscribe to every Sportsnet channel, and Gamecentre Live. But spend a lot of time out of town in hotels. So when I'm in Alberta, but the hotel doesn't have the sportsnet channel the Flames game is on, I still can't watch on Gamecentre because it's blacked out since I'm technically still in the broadcast region. So my options are either watching the game legally via Sportsnet Now on my laptop in laggy 240p #### quality, or finding a full HD illegal stream.

I tried giving you my money Sportsnet but since you couldn't hold up your end of the bargain, I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from everything and just always using the illegal streams
Depending on TV provider, you may have other options perhaps. I have Telus and watched SNW on the Optik TV app on my phone when in a hotel in Ontario that didn’t have SNW
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not only is their production poor but their shunning of out of market fans at times is criminal. Last Saturdays Flames game was a regional. Tmrw's game is only on SNW again while SN is showing the Sharks and the Kings. Why the hell am I being blacked out from watching a Canadian team but I can watch two American teams? Network is a f'n joke!
In cases like this I would just visit NHL reddit streams. It's not your fault you can't watch these games.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
In cases like this I would just visit NHL reddit streams. It's not your fault you can't watch these games.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My signature says it all. Sportsnet has to do less weeknight games that involves canadian teams except on Wednesday nights.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
My signature says it all. Sportsnet has to do less weeknight games that involves canadian teams except on Wednesday nights.
Doesnt your sig also say all Saturday games have to be National Broadcast? Dissentowner says tomorrow and last Saturday were regional only.

Edit: Or does that just mean no blackouts.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 12-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have SNW and it is just Blacked out, or no SNW?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Blackouts are an NHL (read: your favourite team) rule, not a Sportsnet rule.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skeena1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

I mean.. listen to them on 960 and suffer.. like everyone else?
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #14
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Toronto Sports Network didn't show anything about the Flames/Lightning game last night. Top teams in the league play in an epic showdown and they went on about useless Leafs BS. They all suck.

Use Reddit, streams are high quality and you aren't giving any of them money.
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeoRock For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isn’t as simple as Sportsnet “shunning” out of market fans. The NHL and Flames also have a role to play. Sportsnet will have only bought the regional rights to the game, meaning Sportsnet can only show it in the Flames home region. If they were to show it out if region they’d be in violation of their contract and the Flames and it the NHL could sue them as they would have then owed more money to them for National rights.

It usually isn’t worth it for any network to spring for the National rights to the games they simply won’t attract enough viewers. This also isn’t unique to Sportsnet. It’s the same reason why I can see local Jets games on the guides here in Calgary for various TSN channels but if I try to watch it, blacked out.

They only way to ensure you get to watch all out of market games is to buy NHL centre ice, it’s how the NHL monatises getting regional games to other regions.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Do you have SNW and it is just Blacked out, or no SNW?
I have SNW but the game will be blacked out, it was last Saturday as well. I am in SW Ontario
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
The Toronto Sports Network didn't show anything about the Flames/Lightning game last night. Top teams in the league play in an epic showdown and they went on about useless Leafs BS. They all suck.

Use Reddit, streams are high quality and you aren't giving any of them money.
I actually have an IPTV that includes Centre Ice but that is not the point. Not everybody can turn to something like that and I think it is wrong that they will show two American teams but black out a Canadian team. I have used reddit streams before though. I used to get GCL for free with my Rogers bundle but then they got greedy and cancelled that.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #18
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Doesnt your sig also say all Saturday games have to be National Broadcast? Dissentowner says tomorrow and last Saturday were regional only.

Edit: Or does that just mean no blackouts.

Yes, that is correct. All games on Saturdays must be nationally televised, no blackouts.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #19
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Blackouts are an NHL (read: your favourite team) rule, not a Sportsnet rule.
Great, but this is a Saturday game. You know, the day when Sportsnet broadcasts all the Canadian teams except us apparently. I can't recall seeing any other teams blacked out. I know there were a couple Oiler afternoon games and they were not blacked out.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post

Yes, that is correct. All games on Saturdays must be nationally televised, no blackouts.
OK, I will take a picture of my tv tmrw that shows it is blacked out in my region. It was last Saturday.