Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #21
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal
Dube-Backlund-Ryan/Fro
Czarnik-Jankowski-Ryan/Fro/Hathaway
Old 11-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #22
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

@KdotAnderson
#Flames head coach Bill Peters said he hasn’t made a decision on the starting goaltender.

Valimaki missed today’s practice with a lower body injury.

And asked Peters about if they’ve considered sitting James Neal: “I haven’t. We think he’s trending in the right direction.”
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #23
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I disagree. Neal's penalty was a joke.

Bennett was blatantly tripped seconds before while carrying the puck.

Neal was upset with the ref and Miller dives as if he's been shot.

You can see Bennett yell at the ref "You better call the dive"
Oh, I know the reffing was terrible.

I'm saying you cannot give the refs something that easy to call.

Neal was frustrated by things that happened in that shift, starting with getting accidentally butt ended in the face by his buddy Fleury.

Millar after witnessing Neals frustration shift, comes off the bench and makes sure he gets in Neals path. Neal was pissed and took a selfish penalty. Too easy.

Next two minutes are spent killing a penalty when you need a goal. He obviously needs to be smarter there. If you're not getting points make at least make sure you're not being a detriment.

I actually thought it was one of James Neals better games as a Flame but that was dumb.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not to make excuses but if what Cassie said last night is reasonable - Neal has had back to back SCF runs and is exhausted - perhaps people should be cognizant of that.

CGY is top half of the league in goals for and if Neal needs to pace himself to be effective for crunch time (late season, playoffs) I'm ok with it. Just don't cost the team.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #25
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Neal hasn't actually been bad. He's just not a line driver and he's being asked to do so with 3rd line talent. I have said it many times as long as he stays on that line it's going to be status quo as he's being misused. Not sure why you would sign a 30+ year old goal scorer to a big money deal only to saddle him with struggling 3rd line talent. Makes very little sense.
Because he's been terrible and hasn't earned anything close to top line quality time yet. Show some hustle, work your ass off, then maybe he'll get more of a chance. I have been shockingly underwhelmed with him so far. Maybe this fake scratch will light a fire. So far I see floater that shoots low percentage shots at the goalies crest.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #26
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Because he's been terrible and hasn't earned anything close to top line quality time yet. Show some hustle, work your ass off, then maybe he'll get more of a chance. I have been shockingly underwhelmed with him so far. Maybe this fake scratch will light a fire. So far I see floater that shoots low percentage shots at the goalies crest.
He is a sniper. In my opinion u need to give him a driver for him to produce. I dont see him doing anything with the 3rd/4th liners he has right now.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #27
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Not to make excuses but if what Cassie said last night is reasonable - Neal has had back to back SCF runs and is exhausted - perhaps people should be cognizant of that.

Christ how's he going to play next year after 3 SCF runs?
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #28
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't quite blame Neal's linemates when he's the least productive forward on the team and the only defensemen he is outproducing are rookies:

P/60 @ 5v5

I admit he hasn't been that bad to the eye test but he needs to reevaluate his game because whatever he is doing is not working. It would make even a Mason Raymond contract a bad one for him, never mind the one he is actually on. Otherwise we're better off playing Stone at 3/4RW.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #29
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

His offensive juggernaut of a line mate is only one spot ahead of him on that chart.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #30
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal should play with Tkachuk and Bennett. Backlund and Tkachuk don’t need each other to be effective. They can both drive their own lines. Backlund without Tkachuk is still a 30-40 point two way centre, he’s the perfect anchor for the third line, a shut down line with Frolik and Ryan.

Backlund and Bennett also don’t have much finish, Tkachuk’s playmaking is wasted if they are both on his line. Put Neal with Tkachuk and Bennett and stick with it for 10 games. Neal should be able to clean up a lot of Bennett’s rebounds when he shoots it right at the goalie.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #31
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Neal hasn't actually been bad. He's just not a line driver and he's being asked to do so with 3rd line talent. I have said it many times as long as he stays on that line it's going to be status quo as he's being misused. Not sure why you would sign a 30+ year old goal scorer to a big money deal only to saddle him with struggling 3rd line talent. Makes very little sense.
I just don't get this argument.

Do you leave him on the top line when Lindholm has more chemistry? Or do you leave him with Backlund and Tkachuk when they just get pounded as a trio?

14 different combinations this season of 5 or more minutes including his first and third most frequent combinations being the two pairs I mentioned above.

They're trying. They just haven't found the match yet. If he wasn't being tested through out the lineup you'd have a misused argument, but they've tried.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

5v5 I have no issue with him on the 3rd line, if for no other reason than there's no reason to mess with the top 2, but his usage on the powerplay is sure odd.

That and not seeing Czarnik enough would be my two biggest (Or maybe even only) complaints about this coaching staff
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #33
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Neal pretty much needs a high end playmaker stapled to him to get on a scoring run I think.

I say put Lindholm with Tkachuk (center?) and give him a go with the Monadreau.
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Dube-Backlund-Ryan
Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phagoof For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #34
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
5v5 I have no issue with him on the 3rd line, if for no other reason than there's no reason to mess with the top 2, but his usage on the powerplay is sure odd.

That and not seeing Czarnik enough would be my two biggest (Or maybe even only) complaints about this coaching staff
And playing Ryan on the PP. but overall pretty solid.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #35
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't really like the idea of breaking up the top line.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #36
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did James Neal play 3rd line last year with the Vegas Golden Knights, did he play 3rd line during his three years with the Nashville Predators, or his three years with the Pittsburgh Penguins or his three years with the Dallas Stars... probably not if he was scoring 20+ goals every season.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #37
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I don't really like the idea of breaking up the top line.
If Neal can produce on the top line AND lindholm can carry his own line as a center, you just created 3 scoring lines.

Have to at least give it a shot
Old 11-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #38
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
If Neal can produce on the top line AND lindholm can carry his own line as a center, you just created 3 scoring lines.

Finding a long term fit with Johnny and Monny has been a problem we've been trying to fix since those two bust onto the scene as one of the best duos league wide.

Lindholm is RHed, skilled, aggressive, defensively responsible and in the right age group. We finally have a long term top line where no one is riding shotgun.

Keeping those 3 together and having Bennett and Tkachuk be the foundation of our 2nd line should not only be the goal but also is extremely exciting to think about.

- 5 young top 6 forwards
- 4 young top 6 dmen (Kylington if he continues development path)

If Rittich becomes a legit #1 goalie we are well set up to contend for 5-10 years.

I know we need Neal to get going but not at the expense of the burgeoning chemistry that has been shown with the top line and seems to be coming along with Bennett and Tkachuk.

Like others I wouldn't be against pushing Backlund down the lineup and having Neal join the 5 youngsters in the top 6. But I think you only do that if Bennett can be switched back to center.

Last edited by SeanCharles; 11-24-2018 at 06:17 PM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #39
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post

Except he's been given time on the top line and shows no evidence of chemistry -- unlike Lindholm, who looks amazing there.

Agreed what Neal needs is power play time, but the second unit is a big drop off talent wise.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #40
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Christ how's he going to play next year after 3 SCF runs?
Actually winning it this time will give him a boost!