Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #7361
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Was specifically referring to the video posted earlier. He predicted exactly what would happen. Unfortunately, the guy who got elected believes budgets balance themselves.
So, no examples of the Harper's economic genius, just going off a decade old Trudeau quote- got it
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #7362
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Was specifically referring to the video posted earlier. He predicted exactly what would happen. Unfortunately, the guy who got elected believes budgets balance themselves.
Actually he kind of didn't.... he said Trudeau's deficits would be small until they weren't because Trudeau is terrible at economics. If you look at the numbers leading up to Covid, the deficit was sitting at pretty much the same between 1-2% of GDP but you also see a decrease in the Federal debt which seems like a good thing.

Harper also defended his spending during the economic crisis as the correct way to deal with it. So in his mind the Liberals did exactly what they should have. The huge deficit was created because of an economic crisis, not "because Trudeau can't budget".

And because it is a pet peeve of mine.. Trudeau's actual quote is:

"the commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy and the budget will balance itself"

Which is a pretty true phrase in that a government should worry more about ensuring a healthy economy than whether it has a deficit or not.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 11:25 PM   #7363
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
So, no examples of the Harper's economic genius, just going off a decade old Trudeau quote- got it
Well you think Trudeau is an economic genius?

Food costs are out of control.

Rent is up.

Cost to own a house is up.

Basically, I don’t know many people whose finances have improved under the Trudeau regime.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:05 AM   #7364
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Carbon Tax payment is absurd. It's an after tax take.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 07:15 AM   #7365
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well you think Trudeau is an economic genius?

Food costs are out of control.

Rent is up.

Cost to own a house is up.

Basically, I don’t know many people whose finances have improved under the Trudeau regime.
This argument is so ridiculous though. No government would've avoided inflation, and the idea that this is a Trudeau issue is just plain stupid. Did he also cause the inflation throughout the rest of the planet?

Same with housing costs and rent (which is ostensibly one issue that you've split into two). I mean you can't bieve that he's responsible for the same issue in the US?

I plan to vote against Trudeau on Monday (if you live in Calgary Heritage, we have a by election on Monday!), and he shouldn't be PM. But I still think that blaming him for these things is just wrong. And no, PP and his "I'll fire the BoC and people should buy crypto" positions don't give me any confidence that he knows what he's doing either.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 11:12 AM   #7366
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Former RCMP officer charged with Chinese suspected foreign interference.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/form...ence-1.6489046

Quote:
The RCMP says it has arrested and charged a retired RCMP officer with foreign interference-related offences.
William Majcher, 60, from Hong Kong, is accused of helping the Chinese government's efforts to "identify and intimidate an individual outside the scope of Canadian law."
"Mr. Majcher allegedly used his knowledge and his extensive network of contacts in Canada to obtain intelligence or services to benefit the People's Republic of China," said the RCMP in a statement.

Quote:
Testifying at a House committee about the issue of foreign interference last month, RCMP Commissioner Michael Duheme said that the federal police force has more than 100 files open regarding foreign interference investigations.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #7367
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just grow your income and your increasing food bills and mortgage payment will disappear.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:27 PM   #7368
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This argument is so ridiculous though. No government would've avoided inflation, and the idea that this is a Trudeau issue is just plain stupid. Did he also cause the inflation throughout the rest of the planet?

Same with housing costs and rent (which is ostensibly one issue that you've split into two). I mean you can't bieve that he's responsible for the same issue in the US?

I plan to vote against Trudeau on Monday (if you live in Calgary Heritage, we have a by election on Monday!), and he shouldn't be PM. But I still think that blaming him for these things is just wrong. And no, PP and his "I'll fire the BoC and people should buy crypto" positions don't give me any confidence that he knows what he's doing either.

It’s not very complicated. Growth in federal spending has contributed to inflation.

Nobody is blaming Trudeau for Covid spending, it’s the spending prior to covid and post covid that are problematic.

Carbon tax also contributes to inflation.

There are things the government can control that are contributing to inflation.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:48 PM   #7369
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not very complicated. Growth in federal spending has contributed to inflation.

Nobody is blaming Trudeau for Covid spending, it’s the spending prior to covid and post covid that are problematic.

Carbon tax also contributes to inflation.

There are things the government can control that are contributing to inflation.
So for sure you have examples of Harper being good for the economy? Just to be fair. Also most experts say you might be wrong about the Carbon Tax, no matter what PP, Kenny and Smith are saying, it's just all they have

https://centreforfuturework.ca/2023/...arbon-pricing/
Old 07-21-2023, 01:50 PM   #7370
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

It was probably a bad time to have someone who's wildly irresponsible with money and corrupt holding the purse strings.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #7371
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last I checked inflation rates in Canada were more or less the same as those south of the border, and while there are different pressures down there, it seems a decent sanity check. Can't really compare with EU inflation rates since Ukraine started.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #7372
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am.
While spending was obviously needed (and a lot of it) the programs put in place were poorly thought out and poorly executed. How many billions of dollars of debt could have been saved? we'll never know for sure but it's a lot.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #7373
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I am.
While spending was obviously needed (and a lot of it) the programs put in place were poorly thought out and poorly executed. How many billions of dollars of debt could have been saved? we'll never know for sure but it's a lot.
Were you at the time or are you just being Captain Hindsight?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #7374
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
It was probably a bad time to have someone who's wildly irresponsible with money and corrupt holding the purse strings.
There is never a good time for a corrupt government.
Old 07-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #7375
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
That was in the US, and then Trump was voted out
Old 07-21-2023, 02:34 PM   #7376
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Were you at the time or are you just being Captain Hindsight?
Been saying that all along and have laid out the problems with the programs a couple of times.
Old 07-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #7377
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am.
well duh.
They didn't have the luxury of time to thoughtfully create well running programs.
It's hard enough for a government to do at the best of times, and the beginning of the pandemic sure wasn't that.
I thought did pretty well in such a short time as many of us needed help ​immediately.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 03:55 PM   #7378
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
well duh.
They didn't have the luxury of time to thoughtfully create well running programs.
It's hard enough for a government to do at the best of times, and the beginning of the pandemic sure wasn't that.
I thought did pretty well in such a short time as many of us needed help ​immediately.
BS, it's not like they had to make an instant decision. Even if they only had a couple weeks they had some time to put some thought into it rather than just fire hosing money at everything.

How about some basic safeguards like companies that have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank don't qualify for the "free money" CEBA loans?
The loans were run through the banks anyway so it wouldn't be difficult to establish that. I didn't make up the "free money", I heard it from several business owners and my bank manager when I didn't apply for it the second time, as in "are you crazy, it's free money with no strings attached".

Or how about a claw back on CEWS payments for companies that have massive excess profits. That program was so poorly thought out that it didn't help a lot of companies at all while it was a gold mine for others. As it was set up it was a cash cow for any business that are labour based, so much so that it made sense to turn down business to stay under the threshold, get the 75% subsidies and rake in the profits. This of course was not a good thing for employees.

I'm not even going to go into CERB or the rent subsidies.

Even if they didn't get things right at first they could have tweaked the programs in the months following. Nobody was expecting perfection.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #7379
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I am.
While spending was obviously needed (and a lot of it) the programs put in place were poorly thought out and poorly executed.
I think this is a huge hindsight is 20/20. Government did it's best to get cheques in the hands of millions of Canadians as quickly as possible.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 04:13 PM   #7380
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I think this is a huge hindsight is 20/20. Government did it's best to get cheques in the hands of millions of Canadians as quickly as possible.
Especially the already deceased ones.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote