Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #181
REDVAN
Franchise Player
 
REDVAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy-sk-import View Post
You don't appear to be eligible. I'm not saying it's not possible that you are getting it since pharmacists are likely swimming in doses... just not sure why you're going for a 3rd dose now.
Nevermind.
__________________
REDVAN!
REDVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #182
agulati
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Would someone flying down to the States who has two Pfizer doses be eligible for a third dose then? Or is it just for those with mixed doses?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #183
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Would someone flying down to the States who has two Pfizer doses be eligible for a third dose then? Or is it just for those with mixed doses?
Currently mixed doses only
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #184
Knut
 
Knut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Exp:
Default

Extremely thorough data here form the UK about waning immmunity. Some good and bad news in it.

1) over 65 should get a third shot

2) 12 week interval better than 3 week

3) still good protection against severe outcomes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1438100712441974786
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #185
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Those 20+ week numbers for AZ are a bit concerning, and explains why they're doing boosters soon:

Effectiveness against hospitalization after 20 weeks:

16+:

AZ: 77.0%
Pfizer: 92.7%

40-64:

AZ: 64.8%
Pfizer: 95.7%

65+:

AZ: 76.3%
Pfizer: 90.7%

It also makes the statements recently from the Oxford vaccine people saying they didn't believe boosters would be needed for their vaccine baffling.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #186
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the middle
Exp:
Default

What about the mixed doses. I seem to recall somebody showing data that supported the AZ+mRNA had better efficacy than 2 x mRNA or 2 x AZ. Or maybe that just pertained to a specific variant. Or maybe I'm not remembering it correctly at all.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #187
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

I don't think they've done any efficacy studies, but the immune response from AZ -> mRNA was quite good and comparable to 2 mRNA doses (and there was some evidence of superior cellular response with the mixed dose). So I would expect a person with a mixed dose would see performance on par with the Pfizer numbers (all else being equal).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #188
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I don't think they've done any efficacy studies, but the immune response from AZ -> mRNA was quite good and comparable to 2 mRNA doses (and there was some evidence of superior cellular response with the mixed dose). So I would expect a person with a mixed dose would see performance on par with the Pfizer numbers (all else being equal).
And if you have mixed doses, you can get a 3rd, which should allay any concerns people might have.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #189
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I have no doubt this will not be received well, but I feel like I need to share this somewhere and there are definitely perks to internet anonymity.

My wife and I are both in our mid thirties and have 3 children all under 7. Our children are up to date with all their vaccines with our oldest currently in first grade.

My wife and I have not been vaccinated for covid. Now I'm sure your initial reaction to this is that we must be uneducated (not accurate, I have my masters and my wife has a fine arts degree) or that we are conspiracy theorists. We don't belive the government is trying to track you or this is all some grand scheme from Bill Gates.

Covid went through our home in April, before either of us were eligible for the vaccine here in Alberta. We had relatively minor symptoms and aside from myself still not being able to taste or smell at 100%, we have had no long lasting effects. So I clearly know covid is not a hoax.

So why have we not been vaccinated? Well recent studies have shown that natural immunity is everybody as good if not better than the vaccines. I do understand that these are early studies, but everything we know about immunity since we've been studying viruses would indicate that natural immunity is likely.

We've also had three close contacts who have had strokes since being vaccinated. While it is entirely possible that it is merely a coincidence, there are reports of side effects from the vaccines. So why would I risk potential serious side effects for a medical procedure, that after having the virus already, seems unnecessary?

If I am completely out to lunch on this, I am more than happy to have a discussion, which is why I am making this post I suppose. I just haven't seen anything like this posted on here before so I thought it may be beneficial for those who are condemning individuals like myself to maybe take a moment and see where others may find themselves.

For the record I do support an immunity passport like we've seen in places in Europe, but I do feel like a vaccine passport goes against everything we know about the spread of this disease and immunity in general.

My apologies for the wall of text.

Last edited by Darkknight; 09-16-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #190
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Well then. The science says you made the wrong choice. All medical experts say to get vaccinated. Vaccines +prior infection is about as good as you can get. Not getting vaccinated is choosing to interpret science you do not understand. It is also incredibly selfish to society. Go book your appointment today.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #191
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Why didn’t you get your vaccine between recovering from Covid and the study coming out suggesting that Covid then 1 vaccine provides the highest level of immunity?

Even allowing 3 months for recovery between Covid and getting your vaccine that would still put you getting your vaccine well before this study came out.

So I would ask yourself if you really are following the science right now or are latching on to a part of a study that somewhat backs your underlying fears and justifies you not being vaccinated.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #192
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
So why have we not been vaccinated? Well recent studies have shown that natural immunity is everybody as good if not better than the vaccines. I do understand that these are early studies, but everything we know about immunity since we've been studying viruses would indicate that natural immunity is likely.
Those same studies also show that previous infection plus the vaccines provide superior protection to COVID versus previous infection alone. I also know a couple unvaccinated people who have already caught COVID twice. Experts… as in the ones actually studying viruses professionally… all suggest that vaccination with previous infection provides superior protection. Experts in fields unrelated to epidemiology who researched using Google may have conflicting opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
We've also had three close contacts who have had strokes since being vaccinated. While it is entirely possible that it is merely a coincidence, there are reports of side effects from the vaccines. So why would I risk potential serious side effects for a medical procedure, that after having the virus already, seems unnecessary?
Risk of stroke from COVID is significantly higher than the risks of the vaccine, not to mention the other potential complications, but you seem to not have considered that risk in deciding not to vaccinate. The risks from the vaccine pale in comparison to the virus, there are plenty of stats on this, and I’m unable to explain how you’ve not come across them unless you were only researching data that supported your desire not to get the shot in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
If I am completely out to lunch on this, I am more than happy to have a discussion, which is why I am making this post I suppose. I just haven't seen anything like this posted on here before so I thought it may be beneficial for those who are condemning individuals like myself to maybe take a moment and see where others may find themselves.
What you’re doing is placing high value on low probability (vaccine-related strokes) in the face of other, much higher probability risks. There’s very little about anything you’ve typed here that is a unique viewpoint, aside perhaps from the fact you said it in a reasonable tone. We have been discussing this ad nauseam since vaccination first became available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
For the record I do support an immunity passport like we've seen in places in Europe, but I do feel like a vaccine passport goes against everything we know about the spread of this disease and immunity in general.
A vaccine passport is needed here and now because people who seem smart enough to know better (some anyway) use faulty logic to justify not doing the right thing. They won’t pull in the same direction as the rest of society who wants this thing over, and as a result they’re ending up clogging the hospitals and ICUs. The numbers show this very plainly and there is no “unvaccinated but caught COVID already” bucket, unvaccinated means unvaccinated.

There is enough reading in this forum alone that you should be able to find all the reasons why you should be seeking to get your immunizations up to date. I’m sure others will give you reasons too. And I’m not sorry that restaurants who want to survive are going to make the correct decision that much more difficult for you to resist.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #193
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

To add it seems that it isn't quite as simple as "I had it so I'm immune". It does seem to vary significantly from person to person, one factor being the severity of the sickness. If it's not severe enough or if it's too severe then the immunity can be less. I don't think this area is understood enough to be confident in natural immunity alone.

Plus as mentioned natural immunity + vaccine seems to be more effective (twice as effective in a recent CDC study)
__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #194
Harry Lime
Franchise Player
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

I can see where Darknight is coming from. Previously having covid seems to put the chance of getting it again somewhere between AZ and mRNA. The efficacy keeping from hospitalization if you catch it a second time appears to be excellent.

Yes, getting vaccine+ does give better protection, but since herd immunity is impossible with the current vaccine and he (and his wife) are already protecting the health care system with the antibodies themselves... they should be fine.

There should be an antibody test, so that people recovered from covid can be given altered status for passports (or whatever the AB thing is). On the pointing and yelling SCIENCE at people, they should land above people with one shot.
__________________
"We don't even know who our best player is yet. It could be any one of us at this point." - Peter LaFleur, player/coach, Average Joe's Gymnasium
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #195
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

You still can't taste or smell 100% almost 6 months later.

This doesnt worry you?

The simple fact that you have noticeable long term effects from the virus, does it not worry you what your unnoticed long term effects are?

Your risk reward matrix here seems to be seriously out to lunch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's the Law of E=NG. If there was an Edmonton on Mars, it would stink like Uranus.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #196
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm

Quote:
These findings suggest that among persons with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, full vaccination provides additional protection against reinfection. Among previously infected Kentucky residents, those who were not vaccinated were more than twice as likely to be reinfected compared with those with full vaccination. All eligible persons should be offered vaccination, including those with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, to reduce their risk for future infection.
The best immunity is fully vaccinated + getting covid

Just getting covid while unvaccinated does not offer long term protection and you are at risk of reinfection.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #197
Plett25
Scoring Winger
 
Plett25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 780
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It is also incredibly selfish to society. Go book your appointment today.
Perfect is the enemy of good.

People like Dark knight aren't the problem.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #198
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

As expected looking at most of the responses, it's just a demand for vaccination without actually looking at what has been said.

I do understand that the chances of ill effects from the vaccine are minimal but they still exist. So why take that chance (however minimal) when it seems unnecessary.

As for questions regarding earlier vaccination options, it was my family doctor's opinion to wait 6 months after recovery before getting vaccinated, as it has been shown individuals who have recently removed from covid can have more serious side effects from vaccination.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #199
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
As expected looking at most of the responses, it's just a demand for vaccination without actually looking at what has been said.

I do understand that the chances of ill effects from the vaccine are minimal but they still exist. So why take that chance (however minimal) when it seems unnecessary.

As for questions regarding earlier vaccination options, it was my family doctor's opinion to wait 6 months after recovery before getting vaccinated, as it has been shown individuals who have recently removed from covid can have more serious side effects from vaccination.
But the vaccine is a known risk. Getting covid again, is an unknown risk. You got away with only losing some of your taste and smell, next time you may not be so lucky.

You've decided to instead of go with the safe 100$ prize at roullette, to risking it all on the next spin.

And we all know how that typically works out for people.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's the Law of E=NG. If there was an Edmonton on Mars, it would stink like Uranus.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #200
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
You still can't taste or smell 100% almost 6 months later.

This doesnt worry you?

The simple fact that you have noticeable long term effects from the virus, does it not worry you what your unnoticed long term effects are?

Your risk reward matrix here seems to be seriously out to lunch.
Would getting vaccinated now help me with that recovery? The answer, in case are unaware, is no.

Will being infected earlier provide a similar level of protection as the current vaccines. Studies show that is likely.

It seems to me there are no real benefits to the vaccines at this point in time for someone in my situation. That is where my risk/reward matrix falls.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021