Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 396 62.86%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 165 26.19%
Not sure 37 5.87%
Climate change is a hoax 32 5.08%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2023, 09:27 AM   #3101
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So much nonsense. You talk as if people don't have many opportunities in their daily lives to make better decisions. I look around and see the roads filled with inefficient SUV's and pickups, when they used to be in sedans and hatchbacks while living in massive inefficient 3 story vinyl palaces on the edges of the city and can recognize immediately that you are immensely wrong.
You do realize that the only people buying $110k gas guzzling SUVs and living in their mansions are the top 1%, right?

So much nonsense that you completely missed the point.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:28 AM   #3102
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You do realize that the only people buying $110k gas guzzling SUVs and living in their mansions are the top 1%, right?

Top 1 present in the world but easily 10% of Calgarians.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #3103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? Really? What reality do you inhabit?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 09:37 AM   #3104
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Top Selling vehicles in Canada:

1- Ford F-Series truck.
2- Ram (#2 both literally and figuratively)
4- Silverado
5- Sierra

The rest of the list is mostly SUV's. So, I think it's fair to say that not only the rich are buying gas-guzzling vehicles. It's most Canadians. It's also most Canadians that live in homes that are far bigger and less energy efficient than required.

Canada has used it's vast resources to develop our wealth and in the process burned an excessive amount of carbon. Same with most other developed nations. It's negligent to then turn around and tell developing nations that they can't do what we did, and that they need to clean up their act, but we won't participate because we're already rich from our resource development. How about we take a little responsibility for our actions?
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 09:38 AM   #3105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

1- Ford F-Series truck.
4- Silverado
5- Sierra

The rest of the list is mostly SUV's. So, I think it's fair to say that not only the rich are buying gas-guzzling vehicles. It's most Canadians. It's also most Canadians that live in homes that are far bigger and less energy efficient than required.

Canada has used it's vast resources to develop our wealth and in the process burned an excessive amount of carbon. Same with most other developed nations. It's negligent to then turn around and tell developing nations that they can't do what we did, and that they need to clean up their act, but we won't participate because we're already rich from our resource development. How about we take a little responsibility for our actions?
It's tough to take responsibility when you are constantly playing victim.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:42 AM   #3106
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

1- Ford F-Series truck.
4- Silverado
5- Sierra

While I don’t disagree with the majority or your post, does the top selling vehicles include corporations, city vehicles, road maintenance, etc? Because that isn’t going to change (overnight). It’s really people’s personal vehicles we should be focusing on.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:45 AM   #3107
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, but the eye test on the road can give you assurance it is generally correct.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #3108
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sure, but the eye test on the road can give you assurance it is generally correct.
Sure. But lots of those trucks on the roads are not personal vehicles.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:01 AM   #3109
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Sure. But lots of those trucks on the roads are not personal vehicles.
I don't have those stats. But there are also a lot of taxis, ubers, rentals and other commercial vehicles that are sedans, coupes or even hybrids or electric.

From a completely anecdotal standpoint up until recently I lived in Scenic Acres in NW Calgary. Almost everyone in my neighborhood, most of whom would commute daily to work, owned a pick-up truck. Everyone else, had a large SUV. Some had both. The only exceptions were one guy who had a Subaru Imprezza and another that had a Cadillac (which I had to help shovel out once because it's rear-wheel drive). All of the homes were large with large plots including lawns that required a lot of care. All of them could be making different choices and their quality of life would not suffer at all. I recently moved into a four-plex 5 minutes from my work with no lawn and I purchased a hybrid. I can honestly say that not only has my quality of life not suffered, it's improved.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:07 AM   #3110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1- Ford F-Series truck.
4- Silverado
5- Sierra

I'm really surprised that luxury taxes haven't been applied to all full size pickup trucks purchased for personal use. We have an issue in north america where people are addicted to large, inefficient vehicles that needs to be curbed.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #3111
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

pickup truck culture is outrageously stupid. It actually makes me angry.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 10:42 AM   #3112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't' help that fuel economy standards encourage larger vehicles and make smaller ones much harder to meet the standards. So car companies switched to bigger ones. it's a pretty big fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 11:07 AM   #3113
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

1- Ford F-Series truck.
4- Silverado
5- Sierra

Trucks are not $110k vehicles. We were specifically talking about SUVs, something most people consider a luxury vehicle.

I personally don't get the point of a truck either if you don't need it, but raging on truck owners without understanding context is hilariously pathetic.

And also completely ignores the problem.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #3114
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm really surprised that luxury taxes haven't been applied to all full size pickup trucks purchased for personal use. We have an issue in north america where people are addicted to large, inefficient vehicles that needs to be curbed.
lol.

TAX, TAX, TAX.

Why not develop better public transit? Something that is actually proven to make a difference, and is the most likely way to reduce overall driving by everyone.

Quote:
Every vehicle on the road releases an average of one pound of CO2 per mile driven. Compared with driving alone, taking public transportation reduces CO2 emissions by 45%, decreasing pollutants in the atmosphere and improving air quality. It's estimated that public transportation in the U.S. saves 37 million metric tons of carbon dioxide annually, and even moderate increases in bicycle use each year could save an estimated 6 to 14 million tons .
https://transportation.ucla.edu/blog...0air%20quality.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:25 AM   #3115
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The point being that if you want to throw around stupidity like 'oh per capita we are worse than the rest of the world', then its only fair to discuss out of 'per capita', who is actually the problem, and whose actions wouldn't make a difference.
If the middle class of Canada (middle 40% of income deciles) was its own country, their per capita emissions would still be #1 among western nations and top 10 in the world, at about 16t of CO2 emitted per capita per year.

So no, in Canada at least this isn't a problem of just high income earners causing emissions. Relative to the rest of the world, we're almost all high income earners and we produce an inordinate amount of emissions.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:29 AM   #3116
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Lol WTF?

Did you even look at the report?

I have a bunch of issues with it which I will post separately. BUT, from the methodology note:

Top 10% has a bottom threshold income of $44,000 USD per the report... The 1% has a bottom of $500,000.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:32 AM   #3117
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Am I reading their methodology correctly?

https://oxfamilibrary.openrepository...pdf?sequence=5

Quote:
Overview of the Stockholm Environment
Institute’s approach to calculating emissions by
income group
Oxfam and the Stockholm Environment Institute’s (SEI) approach to estimating how global carbon emissions can be attributed to individuals based on their consumption builds on previous work by Oxfam and the SEI. Other researchers, including Lucas Chancel and Thomas Piketty, have made similar findings.

The approach used in this report follows the methodology outlined in Oxfam
and the SEI’s 2020 report The Carbon Inequality Era, with some changes to the data sources.6 For the 2020 report, multiple data sources were relied upon to address data gaps in emissions, income distribution and income data. However, in this analysis, it was found that the preferred datasets now provide better coverage, enabling a streamlined approach and less dependence on multiple sources for most variables.

We start with national consumption emissions data for 196 countries from
1990 to 2019 from the Global Carbon Atlas, which covers nearly 99% of global emissions. This reflects both the carbon emissions produced in a country and those the net emissions embedded in import trade while excluding those embedded in exports. Emissions measured are for carbon dioxide (CO2) and exclude non-CO2 emissions and emissions from land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF) due to limited data.

We allocate national consumption emissions to individuals within each country based on a functional relationship between income and emissions, drawing on the most recent income-distribution data from the World Inequality Database (WID).

Based on numerous studies at national, regional and global levels, we
assume that emissions rise in proportion to income, above a minimum
emissions floor and to a maximum emissions ceiling.
These estimates of the
consumption emissions of individuals in each country are then sorted into a
global distribution according to income.

National income data (i.e. gross domestic product(GDP)) is obtained from Penn World Tables (PWT), and gap-filled with data from the World Bank’s World Development Indicators (WDI). The data is expressed in 2017 US dollars (USD) purchasing power parity (PPP), which adjusts for differences in purchasing power between different countries and regions. Population numbers for the SEI estimates are also from PWT and WDI up to 2019.
Lol what? So the a key finding of their report was that most of the carbon emissions are at the top income and that was a key assumption of their allocation of carbon - by income? What?!
Old 11-30-2023, 11:39 AM   #3118
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Lol WTF?

Did you even look at the report?

I have a bunch of issues with it which I will post separately. BUT, from the methodology note:

Top 10% has a bottom threshold income of $44,000 USD per the report... The 1% has a bottom of $500,000.
Just to take this one step further:

Quote:
According to the 2021 Canadian Income Survey (CIS), the average income in 2021 was $53,100, and the median income was $40,500. Among large Canadian cities, Calgary had the highest average income of $60,000, and Montreal had the highest median income of $41,600
So at roughly $60,000 ($44,000 USD), Almost half of the population of Canada is considered in the 10%. Not only that, none of these numbers take into consideration of populations under 18 not earning any money...
Old 11-30-2023, 11:42 AM   #3119
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #3120
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol.

TAX, TAX, TAX.

Why not develop better public transit? Something that is actually proven to make a difference, and is the most likely way to reduce overall driving by everyone.

https://transportation.ucla.edu/blog...0air%20quality.
Guys, this is a fantastic idea! Some real innovative solutioneering I can't believe this hasn't been thought of. I am really kicking myself, seems so obvious now.

And, we can fund it through... uh oh. Azure's not going to be happy.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post: