Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames bring back Treliving
Yes 259 38.89%
No 17 2.55%
This is so obviously yes it shouldn't be a poll question 390 58.56%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #281
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on 960 thinks it is very likely Conroy is Treliving's replacement (if he doesn't come back). Conroy is likely to get consideration for GM positions around the league anyways.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #282
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

pls sign brad

pls sign, brad

Last edited by Ashasx; 04-21-2017 at 08:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #283
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So weird to have some media (like Friedman) suggesting things are amiss and others (Dreger) suggesting they will put it all to bed next week.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #284
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

They better get this done.

Ridiculous that it has even gotten this far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #285
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah...I thought there was no way Treliving wouldn't be back but after listening to Friedman I'm not sure any longer. Still think it's weird if he isn't
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #286
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a dismaying interview. It's okay to be out of the step with the way the rest of the league operates if you're an elite franchise. Not if you're a mediocre to poor franchise like the Flames. What are the odds the Flames are right and everyone else is wrong?

The way Friedman spoke it sounds like Burke isn't really the firewall between King and Treliving that we were led to believe. It sounds like King and Edwards run the show. At one point, Pinder asked Friedman is he thought King and Edwards also took a hand in hockey operations, but he was cut off and Friedman didn't hear the question. I really wish he did.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #287
Toonage

Exp:

Not to beat this dead horse, but things could get nutty here over the summer. I truly believe the coach is tied to the GM. Could be wholesale changes for the Flames coming.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #288
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not liking ownership and King being involved in hockey decisions. lf Treliving and lets say Burke leave (Team USA). This team will continue staying mediocre for a long time.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #289
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving should stay, and it's ridiculous he hasn't been extended already. They are just delaying all the summer work.

If they do decide to part ways, that should also be done ASAP and they should talk to the Lombardi/Daryl tandem before they get snapped up by Buffalo. I sure don't want to be stuck with Murray/Byslma.

And with all the respect in the world, I don't want Conroy as full time GM. I love the guy too much and I wouldn't want his legacy tarnished, should he turn out to be a bad GM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #290
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not to beat this dead horse, but things could get nutty here over the summer. I truly believe the coach is tied to the GM. Could be wholesale changes for the Flames coming.
This organization has done a good job with stability since Burke arrived and canned Feaster. The Flames went from a laughing stock to a team that has been on the better end of most trades, solid cap situation, and solid young core.

If after 3 years which were all rebuilding and 2 playoff appearances they clean house they will once again be a joke.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #291
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Treliving leaves it's not a good sign -- likely an indication of ownership meddling. I'm getting a bit worried.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #292
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This organization has done a good job with stability since Burke arrived and canned Feaster. The Flames went from a laughing stock to a team that has been on the better end of most trades, solid cap situation, and solid young core.

If after 3 years which were all rebuilding and 2 playoff appearances they clean house they will once again be a joke.
100% agree. I'm concerned that this could happen though. Certainly hope it doesn't.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #293
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

While the salary cap levels the playing field to some degree, teams with deep pockets have an advantage in ability to spend on the front office and behind the bench.

Pinder had a great point...this team hasn't historically had marquee people in the GM chair.

Penny wise and pound foolish if they don't pay up for Tre if they think he is a good fit.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #294
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Conroy as a guy and I'm sure he's valuable as an assistant GM with how affable he is, but I really just do not want him as the GM. It seems like an experiment destined to fail, and it concerns me that King could just decide to let Treliving walk in favor of the more agreeable, cheaper, former player.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #295
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer was a mis-step in hindsight, but I put the blame on Brouwer more than anyone for that. He was a great player, and had a proven track record to justify Treliving's interest in having him on their young roster. Brouwer did nothing to earn his contract.

Elliott was a fantastic pickup. A very reasonable risk trade to get a #1 goalie on a sweetheart of a contract. That freedom at G allowed him to negotiate with Gaudreau and Monahan.

The only thing I am disappointed in was his decision to keep Jordan Sigalet. The army of goaltenders who have had career-worst seasons under Sigalet has been alarming. With a new tandem of goalies, last year would have been a great time to look for a new coach there. Giving that tandem the same coach that had failed multiple years in the past was folly, and we were swept because of it.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #296
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
This pisses me off.
Does it piss you off because it's not true?

Bishop was traded a few days before the deadline. It isn't like it was the Lightning only had 20 left to fax the trade in. So the deadline threat is BS

Yzerman also came out and said there were no other offers on the table, or not better offers.

I have no doubt the Flames kicked tires, but this is utter bullshi-

Based on how Treliving negotiates, I can't see this rumour coming from him. It isn't his style to negotiate publically, and letting rumous like this spread are inconsistent with his approach. Further, a rumour like this makes his job more difficult anyways as it affects the reputation of the team.

So while I think you should be pissed off, I don't think it should be at King, it should instead be because of a rumour that has a lot of questionable details.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #297
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we will hear from Trevertime.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #298
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since this is spreading between threads:

I stand by the source of where this came from.

I think it's pointless for us to debate the possibility of whether it is "utter BullS**" or not.

None of us know what things Yzerman did or didn't have on the go. His timelines and agenda are his own, as are the conditions he was under for forming his decisions.

He's certainly not going to come out and give much in the way of transparency as to how the deal did or didn't materialize, especially when the return he did get would be considered less than ideal.

Of course, we always take EVERYTHING GM's say in the media as 100% truth... right?

I can make a case for how plausible it is on either side.
Either way, presumably the source has no reason to feed me misinformation.
It was his answer as to why there may have been delays in the signing of a new contract.
Less so the details or merits of the "non-trade".

As is common for any "insider" info that comes up on this site... it's an expectation that it will get torn to shreds. That's why I have been sitting on it for a few weeks.
Believe the info or not... it will not hurt my internet feelings.

Regardless, it makes for discussion, and after all that's what we all come here to do.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to daredevil For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #299
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Been sitting on this for a while (mods can PM for source if they wish).

I've been told the only reason why a new contract hasn't been signed is that Treliving wants assurance from ownership that King will stop meddling in hockey ops decisions.

He and Burke have a good working relationship but King insists on being the final approval on deals.

The most recent example I was given:
Apparently at the deadline a deal was made for Bishop but they needed Kings approval to proceed. They were given 15 mins to finalize by Yzerman. They tried to reach King on the phone and couldn't get him within the window, so he was dealt to LA.

Take for what it's worth (not a Julius example).
So mods confirmed?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #300
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
So mods confirmed?
Two of the mods have reached out to confirm.
Closed Thread