Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Iginla: Hockey is better and safer with fighting in it

Great piece by Jarome as a guest columnist in Sports Illustrated this week.

Quote:
Does fighting still have a place in today's NHL? My answer is a qualified yes. I temper my response because I don't know of any player who truly loves fighting. Ideally it would not be a part of the game. But the nature of our sport is such that fighting actually curtails many dirty plays that could result in injuries.

One misconception about fighting is that it is for entertainment, a spectacle for the fans. But most hockey players do not see themselves as boxers or fighters. We would all rather be scoring a goal -- or preventing one! While I agree that fighting has entertainment value and is enjoyed by many fans, there is a lot more to it than that. There is a purpose behind almost every fight. I have fought -- and my teammates have, too -- to stick up for myself or to stand up for a teammate who had been the victim of dirty play. And I do acknowledge that fighting can provide an emotional lift for a team. A player who drops his gloves and puts himself in harm's way on behalf of his teammates is selfless and courageous. And those are qualities that all hockey players respect.

Fighting helps hold players accountable for their actions on the ice, even more so than penalties. If it was taken out of the game, I believe there would be more illegal stickwork, most of it done out of sight of the referees; more slashes to the ankles or wrists, and in between pads; and more cross checks to the tailbone. Incidents of players taking such liberties are rare in today's game because fighting gives us the ability to hold each other accountable. If you play dirty, you're going to have to answer for it.

In my opinion, fighting prevents more injuries than it causes. And with the high caliber of officials in the NHL, it very rarely results in significant injuries; the referees step in quickly to help minimize that risk.

Discuss.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The comments section... oh my god. They make me want to tear my hair out.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Never read internet comments (this forum 90% exempt of course).

Also, they are probably mostly American fans. I hate to say it, but most Americans don't really understand the game well enough to comment on the intricate nature of hockey fights. I have talked to a lot down here and they have no clue because they haven't played the game let alone watched enough to analyze it well.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 11-16-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I miss Jarome. We don't have anyone that we'll spoken on the Flames now. Maybe Cammy.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There will always be pundits and people on their computers claiming that hockey has no place in the game, and I'm often curious how many players of different skill levels and positions coming out in support of fighting it's going to take before the pundits admit they are wrong.

Fighting is dangerous, and is it worth the possibly damaging health effects? Probably not to most. But it's also a valuable part of the game that serves it's purpose.

Nobody can deny the negative implications if hits to the head, but it's time to stop denying the value of fighting in hockey. Whether or not the value outweighs the risk is an opinion anyone is allowed to have, but saying it has no value? Garbage.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 2 cents on Iginla's comments: I think he pretty much understands what he's talking about and represents the case for it fairly well, but he's also able to stand up for himself. There are players who simply can't and in that case it's good to have an enforcer like McGrattan there to protect a player like Hudler or Baertschi.

And for those who are worried about concussions from fighting? Pat Lafontaine's and Paul Kariya's shortened careers say hello.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This argument seems to work on paper, but when the majority of fights I see seem to be about 1) retaliating after a clean hit or 2) trying to swing a game's momentum, I don't think it applies much to reality.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
There will always be pundits and people on their computers claiming that hockey has no place in the game, and I'm often curious how many players of different skill levels and positions coming out in support of fighting it's going to take before the pundits admit they are wrong.
The same players who didn't want helmets in the game as being mandatory?
Sorry I don't really care at all what the players say about this issue. No one can argue that fighting in the NHL prevents more injuries because fighting has always been in the NHL.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one can say it doesn't either.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
No one can say it doesn't either.
Huh?
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
My 2 cents on Iginla's comments: I think he pretty much understands what he's talking about and represents the case for it fairly well, but he's also able to stand up for himself. There are players who simply can't and in that case it's good to have an enforcer like McGrattan there to protect a player like Hudler or Baertschi.

And for those who are worried about concussions from fighting? Pat Lafontaine's and Paul Kariya's shortened careers say hello.
The answer to the problem isn't players like McGrattan and Jackman, Scott or Oliwa - the answer to the problem should come in the form of guys like Iginla, Lucic, Backes, Benn and so on.

Big physical players who are good at hockey and can stand up for their teammates and keep the game honest, not guys like Big Ern, Ivanans and McIntyre.

Goons have become this weird sideshow akin to NASCAR (sorry NASCAR fans, but all you're doing is turning left and tuning engines).

I think fighting has it's place, but I don't see the excitement in watching Jackman and McGrattan-like players in the league.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll take the word of all current/former NHLer's who believe fighting should be in the game.

MOD EDIT: Deleted over the top comments.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 11-16-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Sorry I don't really care at all what the players say about this issue. No one can argue that fighting in the NHL prevents more injuries because fighting has always been in the NHL.
Sorry, I don't really care at all what random internet posters say about this issue. They have about zero credibility when they so easily dismiss what credible players say who actually have experience in the game they play.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

OK, an opinion from a current player that I respect. This holds more weight with me than with pundits or guys like Burke weighing in.

Fighting stays then. I would like to see fighting for clean body checks curtailed though. And the staged goon shows.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
OK, an opinion from a current player that I respect. This holds more weight with me than with pundits or guys like Burke weighing in.

Fighting stays then. I would like to see fighting for clean body checks curtailed though. And the staged goon shows.
That's one aspect of todays game I really don't like. If they could get rid of any part of fighting, it would be that one for me.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I really hope you close your eyes next time there's a fight on the ice... Make sure not to cheer as well.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Can't compare this to an equipment debate (mandatory helmets), even if safety is the main concern. There is a cultural and financial aspect to this debate as well
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a problem with staged fights right after the linesman drops the puck. The McGrattan-Bordeleau fight the other night was a waste of time. I also don't know how two goons having to fight makes another player accountable.

Iginla-Lecavalier, and any two players who can actually play, in the heat of battle -- yeah, I have no problem with that.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
That's how it feels when we read your over dramatic postings too.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steveo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla
"Fighting helps hold players accountable for their actions on the ice, even more so than penalties. If it was taken out of the game, I believe there would be more illegal stickwork, most of it done out of sight of the referees; more slashes to the ankles or wrists, and in between pads; and more cross checks to the tailbone. Incidents of players taking such liberties are rare in today's game because fighting gives us the ability to hold each other accountable. If you play dirty, you're going to have to answer for it."
I commend Iginla for this well written, intelligent and insightful piece. He truly is one of the best.

Having said that, my only question for Iginla here is why does he feel so strongly in support of this? Is it because he has seen the terrible effects that the absence of fighting has caused to the game? Or is he merely echoing what he has been told—what we have all been told—all our lives. It sounds reasonable, but then, if it were true, then we should expect to see a dramatic increase in stick work and stick-related injuries in the European leagues, should we not? Is there some sort of evidence beyond a players say so that actually supports their opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: