Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #21
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wonder if we might see Hamonic moved to Winnipeg and Brodie re-signed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #22
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Man, you would have to be pretty unhappy with life to pass up $8 million to play hockey.
If I were to speculate, I doubt it's playing the game that he's contemplating walking away from, but rather the constant flights, hotels, injuries, and the toll this takes on his personal/family life.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #23
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He has more money then he'll ever need, loves to fish and hates getting in shape.

Probably just had enough and wants to walk on his own terms. I totally get and respect that.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #24
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Buff has made $65 million over his career. He has his championship. He's a big boy, and he hits a lot. That wears on a body.

I never begrudge anyone who wants to leave a party early. There's more to life.
Not badmouthing him at all, I just can't imagine being so unhappy with a life in hockey to pass up 8 million.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #25
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't sound like he's walking away from hockey to me?

Sounds like a leave of absence that could be days, weeks, or months. I didn't get the impression he's done with hockey.

Curious what that means for his actual pay he receives and cap implications if club and player mutually agree to missing let's say 23 games out of 82?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Byfuglien was born and grew up in Minnesota and played Junior in Chicago, Prince George and Brandon. His wife is from the region as well. So I don't think it's due to Winnipeg's geographic location.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #27
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if he came into camp overweight and the result of that has triggered this decision/contemplation. Just pure speculation on my part.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I wonder if he came into camp overweight and the result of that has triggered this decision/contemplation. Just pure speculation on my part.
I thought exactly the same thing simply because it falls between the cracks of the reasons the team eliminated (health and family). Maybe he figures he needs time to decide whether to get into shape or just sit on the couch.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #29
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My guess is Buff hates getting into shape for season... I saw him at training camp in Banff 8 years ago, when I was at a beer league tournament, and he was hilariously out of shape and razzing Evander Kane that he was trying too hard.

BTW, pure speculation and tongue in cheek response.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
My guess is Buff hates getting into shape for season... I saw him at training camp in Banff 8 years ago, when I was at a beer league tournament, and he was hilariously out of shape and razzing Evander Kane that he was trying too hard.

BTW, pure speculation and tongue in cheek response.
I never liked Kane, but I always also thought Buff treated him really badly.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #31
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Sounds like a leave of absence that could be days, weeks, or months. I didn't get the impression he's done with hockey.

Curious what that means for his actual pay he receives and cap implications if club and player mutually agree to missing let's say 23 games out of 82?
This doesn't sounds like he is considering retiring at all?

Quote:
Dustin Byfuglien, currently on personal leave from WPG, is believed to be using the time to ponder his NHL future. I’m not saying Byfuglien is retiring; I’m not saying he’s coming back to play. Only that he’s contemplating his options and there’s no timetable for a decision.
Kind of sounds like he's at least thinking about it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #32
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

TSN article seems to indicate he is thinking about it.

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-jets-d-d...eave-1.1367417
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

He also had a couple of concussions if I'm not mistaken.

34 years old, made a lot of money, has a cup. Also probably the type of personality that could easily get a job in hockey media if he wanted.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Buff has made $65 million over his career. He has his championship. He's a big boy, and he hits a lot. That wears on a body.

I never begrudge anyone who wants to leave a party early. There's more to life.
I did? I wonder which account holds that money because I'm broke and have no thing to show for blowing that much money!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As long as he is absent, he will not be paid and his cap hit will not be charged against the Jets (not really an issue during the preseason). However, if he returns to the team part-way through the regular season, his cap hit will be back-charged to the Jets as if he had been with the team since day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 15.13.d.iv

The Averaged Amount of a Player who has received permission to be absent from Training Camp will not count against his Club's Averaged Club Salary unless and until the Player returns to the Club and his Paragraph 1 NHL Salary payments resume. Upon return and his resumption of salary payments, the Club's Averaged Club Salary shall be charged with the Averaged Amount of the Player as if he were on the Club's Active Roster from the commencement of the Regular Season;
Illustration: With Club permission, a Player misses the entire 2013-14 Training Camp, which is 20 days, and returns to the Club's Active Roster at the halfway point of the Regular Season. The Averaged Amount of the Player's SPC is $1 million. There will be no reduction in the Averaged Amount of such SPC for that League Year as in Section 15.13(c)(iv) above. When the Player is placed on the Club's Active Roster at the halfway point of the Season, the Club's Actual Club Salary will be charged with $500,000 on that day. If the Player remains on the Club's Active Roster through the remainder of the Regular Season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary will be charged an additional $500,000 on account of such Player so that for 2013-14, the Club's Averaged Club Salary will be charged $1 million on account of such Player.

I assume this is written in this way to prevent teams from circumventing the cap by telling a player to stay home for part of the season so that they can fit other players under the cap, then bringing the player in as a cheap ringer later in the season.

This puts the Jets in a tough position because if Byfuglien remains out at the start of the season and Connor and Laine remain unsigned, they're going to have a hard time reaching the floor to start the season. On the other hand, if Byfuglien does miss part of the season, they can't really use his unused cap space because they need to keep it available when/if he decides to return.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #36
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jets can also suspend Buff to get cap relief but I doubt that happens
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #37
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Man, you would have to be pretty unhappy with life to pass up $8 million to play hockey.
Andrew Luck stepped away from football due to injuries and his contract was massive. These athletes get paid enough that, even an average player with a few years under their belt, will earn far more than most people would earn in a lifetime. If these guys can reduce the potential for long term quality of life issues, even if it means walking away from some money, then I can certainly respect that.

I'm sure fans and the Jets organization would rather see a guy walk out on his own terms, even if it is a little early, rather than dog it all season because his head, heart, or body isn't into the game anymore. I think we're going to see this happen more frequently with athletes especially as more information comes out about the long term effects of playing professional contact sports.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

I assume this is written in this way to prevent teams from circumventing the cap by telling a player to stay home for part of the season so that they can fit other players under the cap, then bringing the player in as a cheap ringer later in the season.
The old Neidermayer "maybe I'll retire ... no I wont" play.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #39
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok Flames fans, prepare us a package Laine to Calgary for a D/prospects/picks.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #40
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If it's not for family reasons, I am wondering if it has to do with concussions. Perhaps there is something going on with CTE, or he doesn't want to risk any future injuries that are brain-related. Dude has been concussed before.

Just speculating of course. Could just as easily be he lost his passion for the sport and let the staff know he's not interested in continuing a playing career. I can respect that; even pro athletes know when it's time for a change.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote