Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #41
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post
Hit level 40 last night...Tauren Shaman on Kromkrush server. Wife was in Arizona all week, so yeah...my butt hurts...

I've played most of the expansions and while some were good (Legion) and some were horribly bad (Battle for Azeroth), going back to Classic just feels right and the game that it should be.

They releasing all the content in phases. Believe there are 6 phases total, with Naxx being the last phase.

That was my first roll in vanilla. Please tell me you're 2 hand windfury'ing the open world PVP into oblivion. I remember 2 hand shammy being such a wrecking machine in Vanilla. No part of WoW died a harder death than open world PVP.

Do they have the windfury triple attack animation? I remember it only being briefly used in Vanilla.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #42
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
1st Rag down, 5 days 3 hours after release. This game attracts a rare breed.
Remember this isn't true vanilla. Its after they nerfed the raids and changed class talents and what not.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #43
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Remember this isn't true vanilla. Its after they nerfed the raids and changed class talents and what not.
Even if it was 1.0 and not 1.12, the level of player knowledge is simply too great to recreate the initial grind to finish the early raids. They knew exactly what to expect in each boss fight, they knew what gear was best for the raid, they knew they had to grind reputation to access Ragnaros, and the people who killed him first have been practicing for this race on a private server.

I expect people who are hoping for a slow grind to a world first on anything in Classic, including Naxxramas, are going to be very disappointed. I suppose this brings up the question about why people get so concerned when something is killed quickly when they aren't the ones trying to beat it first. It's probably still going to be really tricky for us random players who aren't that focused on high end raiding.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with the knowledge people have if MC was powered as it was when released it would be weeks of gearing up to kill Rag.

I do miss the days of 40 man raiding. Was just a different kind of fun!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #45
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1st Rag down, 5 days 3 hours after release. This game attracts a rare breed.
Beyond what was mention here, Blizzard really messed up the amount of XP players get in raids. Hardcore guilds that had access to the beta quickly found out that players would get equivalent party XP when 10-man raiding 5-man instances like Scarlet Monastery and Zul'Farrak. So 10 people could come in and AoE down the entire instance in minutes and get a ton of experience with no raid penalty. In original vanilla, raid XP was virtually nil.

They fixed it 2 days ago, but the damage has been done.

Additionally, layering has allowed mages to have no down time when AoE grinding. When they clear an area, they simply swap to a new layer where all mobs are still alive.

Really unfortunate.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #46
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
That was my first roll in vanilla. Please tell me you're 2 hand windfury'ing the open world PVP into oblivion. I remember 2 hand shammy being such a wrecking machine in Vanilla. No part of WoW died a harder death than open world PVP.

Do they have the windfury triple attack animation? I remember it only being briefly used in Vanilla.
O yes, destroying some people in open world PvP...it's even better when I have my warrior buddy with me and drop windfurry totem for him. Beast mode combo for sure! Doing some dungeon cleave groups yesterday as well...Shaman for WF totem, 3 Warriors and a Holy Priest. We destroyed the dungeons haha.

I am actually not sure on the animation, haven't really paid attention to that, just get a big wall of damage text haha
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #47
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I'm very surprised how many people there are that are interested in classic but didn't play Nostalrius. Maybe a marketing/word of mouth thing?

Nostalrius was a private server for Vanilla. It lasted for 14 months in 2015/2016 and led to classic being released now because of its popularity (after it got shut down there were petitions to Blizzard - either give an alternative or private vanilla servers will keep popping up).

As someone who played in high school for an absurd amount of hours, it was surprising how well you could fit in a reasonable amount of hours per week and still level/raid/PVP. I did an honor grind (which got awful in the end) and my friend did a lot of raiding.

The nostalgia is definitely there. The game will never be the same as it was in high school (all your friends playing all summer), including that first feeling of entering a massive world and seeing the map and other players everywhere. But it still holds up as a great, challenging, addicting game.

I won't be subscribing to classic but will probably play a little bit with my high school friends who have hopped back on.
IMO its because of the uncertainty that devoted so much time to a character with the possibility of losing it if the server s were ever shut down.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #48
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I started WOW during beta, it was a great game. I have enjoyed it every time I've played it honestly, during any expansion. It is just so polished.

That being said, as many others have already stated in this thread I can't devote the amount of time it takes anymore to get anywhere in that game.

Now if they ever came out with an official classic UO, that I would play even if it was only once every few weeks just for the nostalgia.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #49
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post
O yes, destroying some people in open world PvP...it's even better when I have my warrior buddy with me and drop windfurry totem for him. Beast mode combo for sure! Doing some dungeon cleave groups yesterday as well...Shaman for WF totem, 3 Warriors and a Holy Priest. We destroyed the dungeons haha.

I am actually not sure on the animation, haven't really paid attention to that, just get a big wall of damage text haha

Old 09-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #50
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Even with the knowledge people have if MC was powered as it was when released it would be weeks of gearing up to kill Rag.

I do miss the days of 40 man raiding. Was just a different kind of fun!
Everquest still has 54 man raids

/retreat
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #51
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Everquest still has 54 man raids

/retreat
if every single player signed on at the same time, they might even reach that cap.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #52
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
IMO its because of the uncertainty that devoted so much time to a character with the possibility of losing it if the server s were ever shut down.
To wit: Nostalrius itself only lasted about a year before Blizzard legal nuked it from orbit. Though its success led directly to Blizzard creating WoW Classic.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #53
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
if every single player signed on at the same time, they might even reach that cap.

As everyone multi-boxes in EQ, you would only need 9 people to fill out the 54 slots.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanceUppercut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #54
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's worth mentioning as well that the band of nobodies that cleared MC first were a private server guild that beat MC most weeks for 10 years in a Vanilla environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #55
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I raid with a few different teams, my main Guild has a bench even in the summer months, but ya, once you get into the mid tier it's a lot of boxing or just empty slots
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #56
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's worth mentioning as well that the band of nobodies that cleared MC first were a private server guild that beat MC most weeks for 10 years in a Vanilla environment.
Why call them a bunch of nobodies?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #57
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why call them a bunch of nobodies?
Because they weren't a big name like Method, just a bunch of randos no one knew about. Just like the world first level 60 that destroyed Method in leveling. He isn't a nobody anymore though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #58
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

But all those world firsts all had plans on exactly what they needed to do and then had guild members/randos helping them every step of the way. No gathering or money issues for them.

It's a big change to be limited my money again, and needing to limit my training because I just don't have the silver needed. I like needing to balance choices. I like the the quests and XP are well balanced.

And it's kind of funny seeing all the:
"LFG DM"
"A bit soon for DireMaul, isn't it?"
debate going on.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #59
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed that I've been getting a lot more gold from questing than I remember. I had almost 300g when I hit 60. Getting 1-2.5g for each quest 50-60.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #60
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I've noticed that I've been getting a lot more gold from questing than I remember. I had almost 300g when I hit 60. Getting 1-2.5g for each quest 50-60.
That seems right, the hard part was 100G before 40 for the mount. If you have self control and don't waste money on the AH trying to min/max it wasn't too bad. Also remember this is patch 1.12 basically TBC so there were more quests than when the game first came out and it is possible the rewards were increased I would have to check patch notes.