Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #5061
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, good to know the RCMP in Ponoka supports hate speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #5062
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I was told from Police here, hate speech isn't actually against the law?

Its protected under the freedom of expression in the charter of rights and freedoms or some such bologna.

I almost got charged with assault after I got into it with a man who went off on a racist rant on some.teenagers who were speaking their native language at a bus stop. Long and short, I could have gotten charged with assault but instead was warned and thats when they told me there's not much they can do about hate speech.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #5063
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ction-319.html

Public incitement of hatred

319 (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Last edited by troutman; 09-24-2020 at 01:02 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #5064
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staff Sergeant of the detachment. Not for long, I assume.

Disgraceful leadership.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #5065
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I hate it, but I understand why you can't arrest someone for having backwards, moronic, hateful views. But as soon as people start punching or pushing people around it's time to move in.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #5066
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's like he's actively, deliberately working for Trump.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308908426349678592
Or maybe tragedies can happen when your loser ex BF who you still mingle with uses your home as a drug house? the police were exercising a warrant because she was involved in this piece of garbage's drug ring. why does every ####ty thing have to be proof of systemic racism?

Last edited by White Out 403; 09-24-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #5067
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1308839031032209408

It's also the point in which he looked off camera at them and smirked.

Does it reveal something about his character? I don't know, but it was a really dumb thing to say, the way he said it, at the time he said it. And it's really troublesome that this man is in the command structure of law enforcement.

How confident are you as a visible minority resident of Ponoka in your detachment's ability to respond fairly and apply justice to your issue? I would say not very.

For that reason alone I would expect his little exchange probably cost him his job, which I believe is appropriate.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #5068
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Or maybe tragedies can happen when your loser ex BF who you still mingle with uses your home as a drug house? the police were exercising a warrant because she was involved in this piece of garbage's drug ring. why does every ####ty thing have to be proof of systemic racism?
Not everything just this thing.

You had a system in which apparently no one acted incorrectly and a person died. This type of event happens disproportionately to people of one race then their make up of the population.

It is precisely the definition of systemic racism.

This person was killed for the potential of finding $200 worth of drugs.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #5069
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

You had a system in which apparently no one acted incorrectly and a person died. This type of event happens disproportionately to people of one race then their make up of the population.

So what is the specific system in place that caused this to happen because she's black?
Old 09-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #5070
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Actually this person was killed because her boyfriend opened fire at police officers.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #5071
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Actually this person was killed because her drug dealing ex-boyfriend who used her house to stash drug money with her consent....and then her current boyfriend opened fire at police officers while they executed a legal no knock warrant, but knocked anyways.
fyp a little better.

Last edited by White Out 403; 09-28-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #5072
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

For that reason alone I would expect his little exchange probably cost him his job, which I believe is appropriate.
sadly I am not so sure it will cost him his job

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #5073
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
sadly I am not so sure it will cost him his job
He may just get knocked down the ladder as you can't have that person in a position of leadership. Frankly, a comment and attitude like that shouldn't even be relied on to be responsible in the field as he dismantled public trust in just a few words.

With everything going on I don't see how the RCMP can suffer through the optical damage of keeping someone like that in uniform, let alone leading a detachment. His only saving grace may be that it happened in Ponoka where it has a greater chance of fading away rather than it happening in Calgary or Edmonton.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 09-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #5074
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No way it costs him his job. Maybe a transfer, maybe. That would be a massive penalty and would likely go thru review via his union.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #5075
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No way it costs him his job. Maybe a transfer, maybe. That would be a massive penalty and would likely go thru review via his union.
Right, he's not getting fired.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308884041396039680

Quote:
Disruptive behaviour and crude language are not actions that would be considered unlawful acts. Our members have to constantly balance the rights of citizens to demonstrate and the rights of citizens to feel safe in their community.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #5076
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
fyp.
There's a dispute between the officers and the boyfriend how they entered. The cops say they knocked, announced who they were and then busted the door open. The boyfriend said they just banged on the door, no announcing and busted the door open. He was a licensed gun owner and if some people busted into your place at night and you didn't know who they were you'd probably shoot first too, in America anyways.

The fact the initial report by the cops was false or misleading makes me think the boyfriend was correct and it's understandable why he shot first.

Not saying the boyfriend is an angel, obviously he wasn't, but there were no drugs in the apartment so was what happened worth it? No, of course not. There were screw ups everywhere.

My questions are who signed off on that warrant, was it that necessary? They knew where he was, why not wait until daylight and wait for him to come out or execute the warrant properly then? She died for no reason, and people are arguing it's somehow her fault for being mixed with her boyfriend, or his fault he shot first. I really don't think it's that cut and dry at all.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #5077
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The same issues plague the RCMP and the armed forces here. I don't think the leadership of either knows how to purge the ranks of racists and their sympathizers. There's too much of a cone of silence in the police force and it flows from their unions.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #5078
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Not saying the boyfriend is an angel, obviously he wasn't, but there were no drugs in the apartment so was what happened worth it? No, of course not. There were screw ups everywhere.
This isn't true.

He's as much as an angel as any other stranger can be. He had no criminal history, he was not under investigation, Taylor's family loves him, by all accounts he appears to be an innocent legal gun owner.

It was her ex that got her involved with the drug dealing. He was arrested at a different location that night.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #5079
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That should read code of silence, not the get smart cone of silence.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #5080
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a dispute between the officers and the boyfriend how they entered. The cops say they knocked, announced who they were and then busted the door open. The boyfriend said they just banged on the door, no announcing and busted the door open. He was a licensed gun owner and if some people busted into your place at night and you didn't know who they were you'd probably shoot first too, in America anyways.
A witness told the grand jury they did announce themselves.

Quote:
The fact the initial report by the cops was false or misleading makes me think the boyfriend was correct and it's understandable why he shot first.
There's no evidence they made any false or misleading statements. Meanwhile the lawyer on the other side most certainly did.

Quote:

My questions are who signed off on that warrant, was it that necessary? They knew where he was, why not wait until daylight and wait for him to come out or execute the warrant properly then? She died for no reason, and people are arguing it's somehow her fault for being mixed with her boyfriend, or his fault he shot first. I really don't think it's that cut and dry at all.
I think there is room for improvement too. But this isn't clear cut racism. Is my point.
Closed Thread