Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #7761
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just to clarify, he didn’t know if there was more to it and wasn’t saying necessarily those are the only pieces of it. Just the names he got that are involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fischy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #7762
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah Vinny01, I get it for 19th time already. Stop repeating the same thing over and over and over every time. We all know what the issues are. And we have already been through this, I dont care what you think about the Player, I think otherwise.

Thats it, thats the hot take. Move along.
I suppose I never received a reason why you think Patrick will overcome the injury big that has plagued him since he was a kid? I am curious as to why you think he will still become a player worthy of a 2nd overall selection. If you don’t care to answer that then fair enough. Having said that though I will move on. Every time someone mentions Patrick you can say YES PLEASE and I or one of the many others against trading for him will say NO THANKS and we will do that until the Gaudreau trade saga ends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #7763
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
Just to clarify, he didn’t know if there was more to it and wasn’t saying necessarily those are the only pieces of it. Just the names he got that are involved.
I guess I could see a scenario where the Flyers are adamant they build their package around one of those 2 contracts coming the other way. Flames would definitely need significantly more coming back to take those deals on.

I appreciate you passing along what you heard.!
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #7764
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From HF, possibly the originating source ?

Posted By Cousin Eddie

On the Missin Curfew Podcast, former NHL’er Jimmy Hayes says he’s heard a few trade rumors.

- Ryan Danato to Nashville
- Gaudreau to Philly for Voracek and Ghost
- NYR 1stOA pick for Brady Tkachuk + 3rdOA
The Following User Says Thank You to Backstop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #7765
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
NYR 1stOA pick for Brady Tkachuk + 3rdOA
Now that'd be a trade! I could see it making sense too, Ottawa gets a future franchise guy while the Rangers get a great piece still with the 3rd pick as well as something to help them as they're getting into a window.

Counter argument of course is Lafreneiere would help the Rags now too, but could see them feeling that Brady & Byfield/Stuzle is > than Laf.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #7766
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
I think they can trade Fleury. If they ate 2.5m per year (which is a hair under the buyout penalty for 20-21), someone would take a change on him for 4.5m over the next 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sign and trades could happen for two reasons
- The player wants the 8th year
- The acquiring team wants the 8th year to lower the AAV
Kris Russell to Calgary was a sign and trade.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #7767
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why but one of my biggest pet peeves is the over valuing of draft picks, especially high 1st rounders and the over valuing of moving up in a draft.

I saw some idiot post on another board....I think it was Monahan and Hanifin for 4th overall.

Like what in the actual #### is that stupid ####? Seriously. Two 25 and under top of the roster players with term and decent contracts for one magic bean? How dumb do you have to be to think that's a fair deal or that an NHL GM with 1% of a functioning brain would think that's a fair deal?

And then you have the mentally stunted notion that it would cost Brady Tkachuk just to move up two spots from 3rd overall to 1st overall.

Ain't nobody trading Brady Tkachuk and Byfield/Stutzle for Lafreniere.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #7768
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't know why but one of my biggest pet peeves is the over valuing of draft picks, especially high 1st rounders and the over valuing of moving up in a draft.

I saw some idiot post on another board....I think it was Monahan and Hanifin for 4th overall.
Yup, I don't get how Flames fans forget that Bennett was 4th overall. Not saying the the 4th overall will be a bust like Bennett but you are way more likely to get a player like Bennett than Monahan
Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #7769
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, which is why I'd said quite the trade.

The only reason I think it's viable in the odd year is for those "generational" guys, which I'm not saying Laf turns into, but the potential is there.

But it's a huge price to pay for Ott obviously. They have a great player in Tkachuk, and will get a great player with the 3rd. Just the combo of those two may never push them over the cusp where Laf could. It's an interesting gamble. The other part is it keeps them from spending some money as soon, which Ottawa would be interested in for sure.

Paying to move up from 15th to 8th or whatever though I agree is a crapshoot. Getting an undisputed #1OA is a different discussion though.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #7770
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I think they can trade Fleury. If they ate 2.5m per year (which is a hair under the buyout penalty for 20-21), someone would take a change on him for 4.5m over the next 2 years.
Maybe, but the Golden Knights would still only have $9.5M to sign a forward, a backup goalie and Pietrangelo. I still don't think that's enough without more moves.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-24-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #7771
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
I concur with everyone of all your rebuttals. I’ve only discovered this resource this past week. He has ties to Treliving and to someone inside the flyers org. I only found out this week after I told him I met the owner of the Dallas stars. I was starting at the Sutton Plqce this week and bumped into him and a group of guys going golfing. “They needed something to do during the day”. I sarcastically thanked him for knocking out my Flames and he said sorry about your luck. Anyways, I’ve reiterated everyone’s comments about this. I don’t believe it myself and have no reason to/not to believe it. Just passing along what I heard. As I mentioned, I’m just the messenger relaying a tidbit I was told.
Thanks for posting that. Some of us find the behind the curtain talk interesting. Most of the time nothing comes of it but I find it neat to read about.
I’m too thinned skinned to post what I hear from a source I know cuz I don’t need to get called out for sharing something that probably won’t happen but is being considered in some circles.
FTR I would hate that trade but appreciate you sharing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #7772
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Does Stastny to Winnipeg make sense? I think most reports say he enjoyed his time there. With Little possibly done, Winnipeg badly needs a #2 C for the upcoming season.
Yeah it definitely does. By all accounts the Jets absolutely loved Stastny and he was tremendous for them.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #7773
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Maybe, but the Golden Knights would still only have $9.5M to sign a forward, a backup goalie and Pietrangelo. I still don't think that's enough without more moves.
Of course there would be other moves, never suggested otherwise. Just pointing out they can likely trade him and retain less than a buyout will cost them.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #7774
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah it definitely does. By all accounts the Jets absolutely loved Stastny and he was tremendous for them.
They already traded for him once and then he bolted. There's one year on his contract so he'd basically be a full year rental. He has a LNTC, so it's up to him as well.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #7775
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They already traded for him once and then he bolted. There's one year on his contract so he'd basically be a full year rental. He has a LNTC, so it's up to him as well.
I think the last time there were questions about whether the Jets could afford him. They still had Myers, Trouba, Kulikov, and Byfuglien on the books whereas the Knights had a lot more flexibility.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #7776
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Like what in the actual #### is that stupid ####? Seriously. Two 25 and under top of the roster players with term and decent contracts for one magic bean? How dumb do you have to be to think that's a fair deal or that an NHL GM with 1% of a functioning brain would think that's a fair deal?

And then you have the mentally stunted notion that it would cost Brady Tkachuk just to move up two spots from 3rd overall to 1st overall.

This has been a problem there for a long while; my favourite current iteration is the argument that 1st overall has more value than Pastrnak currently.

Pasta scored almost 50 goals and 100 points this season (would have easily cleared both in 82 games), is only 24, and is on a very team friendly contract.

Lafreniere *might* one day sniff these numbers. But he might also turn into Patrik Stefan or Alex Daigle. That possibility seems to wholly escape the posters of HF boards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #7777
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if we can get Cody Glass if we take MAF and the entire cap hit?
Old 09-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #7778
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...izona.2780630/

Good laugh here. James Neal+ for OEL and Kassian + for Nylander.

There is certainly something in the water
Old 09-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #7779
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think the last time there were questions about whether the Jets could afford him. They still had Myers, Trouba, Kulikov, and Byfuglien on the books whereas the Knights had a lot more flexibility.
That's true, but I don't recall any notion that Stastny was eager to stay. Winnipeg is on a lot of NTC lists, and I imagine he's not an exception. Also, the Knights are much more of a contender next year and they still need centres - they don't have a decent replacement at the moment. I bet they hang on to him for now.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #7780
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Of course there would be other moves, never suggested otherwise. Just pointing out they can likely trade him and retain less than a buyout will cost them.
I wasn't meaning to be critical of your post in any way, just pointing out that there would have to be a lot of moving parts involved in Pietrangelo going to LV, which makes me question whether that is really one of his most likely landing points.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-24-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Closed Thread