Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #1781
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Because those are the things that last.
But those things cost the same amount of money whether it's part of the Olympics or not. I get that you want to try to take advantage of money from other levels of government, but it's still money being paid. If you want more things that last, it'll cost more.

This bid has lots of things that last, it's just the things actually required to stage an Olympic Winter Games, not a bunch of extras. They're nice to have, but it's also the things that run over budget.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #1782
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Disagree with elected officials all you want, but this kind of discourse is just counterproductive. Besides, she was a business owner before she ran for council - and ran the Kensington BRZ too.
I am skeptical that she actually "doesn't understand". She has been a no from the beginning and is being dramatic (arts degree), to pretend she doesn't understand any of this.

Quote:
But she closed down part of Memorial drive on a Sunday afternoon once, so practically Satan.
I support those types of city events, and I also support the bridge she pushed. I just don't like how she disagrees with absolutely everything Olympics. It's disingenuous.

Last edited by RM14; 11-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #1783
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Ironically, a lot of the people I see making comments across social media and in person say "I'm worried that it will go over budget, and we'll be stuck with a big bill", but at the same time say "maybe if we were getting more LRT or roads it would be a good deal" - the games itself have shown consistently that operationally they are break even (or make modest profit)....it's the infrastructure add-ons that make things late and over-budget.

I think that there's a good chance that the budget numbers (with contengency) will be pretty close to correct, assuming people don't start adding big infrastructure projects that don't actually have anything to do with staging the Olympics (Vancouver, for example, had accelerated Canada Line and upgrading the Sea-to-Sky highway). Sure, those things can make hosting easier, but they're not needed to host. Realistically, they shouldn't really be part of the Bid Budget.

I'm not sure how you can complain about the Olympic budget, and then ask for more costly infrastructure projects at the same time.
I think there is a better chance that the Oilers trade Mc David to the Flames for Sam Bennett than ANY of the numbers they are espousing.

It's quite remarkable that in the space of 24 hours, for example, they were able to cut over 150 million dollars from security costs without any known input from those who actually uderstand providing security for eents of this magnitude.

Add on to that there is no new NHL sized arena nor a new stadium as part of any of this entire thing, makes the whole thing unpalatable to many many many Calgarians.

But hey....remember Karen Percy LOWE and how great it all was....right?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #1784
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But those things cost the same amount of money whether it's part of the Olympics or not. I get that you want to try to take advantage of money from other levels of government, but it's still money being paid. If you want more things that last, it'll cost more.

This bid has lots of things that last, it's just the things actually required to stage an Olympic Winter Games, not a bunch of extras. They're nice to have, but it's also the things that run over budget.
Well ideally you use it for infrastructure you were intending to do anyway and not superfluous builds. Yes it costs more, there's no arguing that, but without it, it's just an expensive party for two weeks.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #1785
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I am skeptical that she actually "doesn't understand". She has been a no from the beginning and is being dramatic (arts degree), to pretend she doesn't understand any of this.

I support those types of city events, and I also support the bridge she pushed. I just don't like how she disagrees with absolutely everything Olympics. It's disingenuous.
That I agree with. I think she does understand - it's weak argument. It's like a pie chart and a couple other numbers. People can digest it - she likely knows that.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #1786
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lets just say theoretically that the YES side wins in the plebiscite - do we all of a sudden see a change in the demeanor of the City Councillors that are currently anti-Olympics? It's non binding, so would the NO Councillors continue to push to cancel the bid, or do they move to the YES side since it's the will of the people?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #1787
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What makes it disingenuous?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #1788
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Quite remarkable that in the space of 24 hours, for example, they were able to cut over 150 million dollars from security costs without any known input from those who actually uderstand providing security for eents of this magnitude.
According to the BidCo. in the City Council meeting yesterday, the budget (both original and adjustments) was provided by RCMP and CPS directly, it wasn't created by the BidCo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #1789
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lets just say theoretically that the YES side wins in the plebiscite - do we all of a sudden see a change in the demeanor of the City Councillors that are currently anti-Olympics? It's non binding, so would the NO Councillors continue to push to cancel the bid, or do they move to the YES side since it's the will of the people?
I think there is a mushy middle that has signalled they'd go with the electorate no matter what. There will be a few ardent No people that will vote no regardless - I'd put Chu, Farrell, Farkas into that camp.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #1790
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they are doing their job properly then no their demeanor should not change unless BidCo addresses the issues that has them against it in the first place.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #1791
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What makes it disingenuous?
Its arguing to argue no, and not to have a productive conversation.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #1792
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
If they are doing their job properly then no their demeanor should not change unless BidCo addresses the issues that has them against it in the first place.
Isn't their job to represent the people of the City that elect them (which would also be those voting in the plebiscite)?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #1793
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
According to the BidCo. in the City Council meeting yesterday, the budget (both original and adjustments) was provided by RCMP and CPS directly, it wasn't created by the BidCo.
So the RCMP and CPS were able to find 150 million in un-needed costs from a budget they originally (assumingly anyhow) put together?

Maybe we should get those guys and gals to do the entire city budget for everything!

Im sorry but it is so blatently obvious what is and was happening the last few days....and it ain't anything good for taxpayers in Calgary.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #1794
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there is a mushy middle that has signalled they'd go with the electorate no matter what. There will be a few ardent No people that will vote no regardless - I'd put Chu, Farrell, Farkas into that camp.
Which in my opnion is a cop out.

They should for sure take the plebiscite into consideration when making their decision, but they should also be looking at the bid and funding to see if it works for the city.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #1795
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be interested to see if Woolley swings back. He seemed pretty bitter.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #1796
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its arguing to argue no, and not to have a productive conversation.
I think the cost structure of Olympics is consistent enough to allow people to be no right from the bat.

There's a reason less and less cities are stepping up for Winter Olympics.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #1797
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
And is there not a group that would vote Yes....no matter what?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #1798
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Which is even worse. That means that the RCMP and CPS had over $150 million in fat built in and knew exactly where it was in order to cut it so fast.

Or they were told to reduce it up front and that contingency would cover the rest, which isn’t outside the realm of possibility. Becuase it’s pretty obvious we’re getting a reduced dollar figure to sell the bid and then once we’re building, there is no turning back
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #1799
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't their job to represent the people of the City that elect them (which would also be those voting in the plebiscite)?
Did they not represent people of the city last night when they voted to kill the whole process but didnt have enough for a "super majority"?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #1800
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's also their job to make informed choices that are good for the city.

Honestly I really don't believe we needed a plebiscite on this, council was capable of looking at the numbers and making a choice. I think this just shows how difficult it is to quantify the benefits of hosting the Olympics, and this is pretty much council not wanting to be on the hook for the decision.
Closed Thread