Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #401
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
I felt there were a lot of positives on the afternoon...I was pleasantly surprised as I am by no means a die-hard soccer fan.

But the biggest issue for me is the price of tickets. It needs to come down...the size of crowd was already a bit inflated due to the fact that it was the inaugural game. I’d be very curious to see what it looks like on Wednesday.

I’d be happy paying $15-$40 a ticket, but I cannot justify paying more for a minor-league soccer ticket than my Seasons tickets for the Flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be entirely honest, I find the idea of midweek games to be a ridiculous idea. I would think that they’d have much more success if they basically went with Saturday and played all the games then, or maybe a Friday night here and there. Midweek is just questionable.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #402
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
To be entirely honest, I find the idea of midweek games to be a ridiculous idea. I would think that they’d have much more success if they basically went with Saturday and played all the games then, or maybe a Friday night here and there. Midweek is just questionable.

The Calgary Flames charge more for Friday and Saturday night games...perhaps CavsFC can keep their higher prices for the weekends and just try and focus on getting butts in the seats for those midweek tilts...a $15 Seat on a Wednesday that drinks 2 beers will bring in more money than a vacant $60-$100 seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #403
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The problem with the climate in Canada is the playing season is short therefore midweek games.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #404
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've passed on feedback to the club regarding parking, washrooms, and beer sales. What I've recommended in terms of things they can actually do to make the experience better (rather than just giving negative feedback for the sake of it) is the following:

- Allow people to park on both sides of the ground. If they insist on funnelling people through the Horizons pavillion, that's probably okay. But people need to be able to get out of their cars and into the grounds.
- Provide washrooms in the SW end. The member booklet says there should be washrooms on the SW end, but I didn't see any.
- Have people sell beer in the stands. This would ease the lineups at half time.
- Allow smoke bombs. I already know the answer to this is no, but I thought I'd try.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #405
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I've passed on feedback to the club regarding parking, washrooms, and beer sales. What I've recommended in terms of things they can actually do to make the experience better (rather than just giving negative feedback for the sake of it) is the following:

- Allow people to park on both sides of the ground. If they insist on funnelling people through the Horizons pavillion, that's probably okay. But people need to be able to get out of their cars and into the grounds.
- Provide washrooms in the SW end. The member booklet says there should be washrooms on the SW end, but I didn't see any.
- Have people sell beer in the stands. This would ease the lineups at half time.
- Allow smoke bombs. I already know the answer to this is no, but I thought I'd try.
These are all great ideas. Hope they listen to at least the first three. Loved the smoke bombs too, but I get they probably won't change there.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #406
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is going to be one of the items I suggest to the club. They did have someone bringing beer to the supporters section in the second half, and the beer went very quickly. Lots of opportunity for revenue.
Couple extra beer guys and a few cash only tubs handing out cans and the concessions problem is solved.

Beef was $9.25 a can? That's two beers for $20 with a tip. Hand over your 20 and walk away with 2 beers instead of waiting in line for the fools paying debit.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #407
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if it’s just a different crowd at the horse events? As we stood in line for pre-game beers, it seemed odd that they only had that one line for draught. Maybe the horse people just don’t want beer, but for soccer that’s important. It’s going to be great on a nice day with that plaza and some live music (which could be turned down as well), to have a beer or two before the game. It was also weird that they had almost no one selling during the game, and that seems like a no-brainer.

My seats are definitely impacted by a pillar, and I will be calling tomorrow to see about moving. It’s not really their fault, because the stand wasn’t constructed yet, although I specifically asked before I chose those seats. It basically takes the entire midfield out though, so one way or another I’ll be moving.

Horse events it's much more of a "trickle in" crowd. It's not like a large chunk show up at the exact same time.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #408
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I also thought it was odd how the players lined up before kickoff facing away from the large majority of the crowd on the opposite side of the field.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #409
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I also thought it was odd how the players lined up before kickoff facing away from the large majority of the crowd on the opposite side of the field.

For the camera I guess...
Old 05-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #410
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Horse events it's much more of a "trickle in" crowd. It's not like a large chunk show up at the exact same time.
While true, they've had up to 90,000 for the final day of the Masters. Even at a trickle in rate, they've handled that level of traffic.

Like I said though, you solve that by opening lot 4 instead of lot 8. That splits the traffic. Could even make one of the lots pass-holders only to eliminate payment bottlenecks. And encourage people to pre-buy a parking pass online.

I did see one guy selling hot dogs and water/pop underneath the stands. Need one or two more like him and for them to be more prominent. $7.75 for a hot dog and bottle of water was pretty good, I thought.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #411
gb450
Draft Pick

The Cavalry social media rep on Instagram replied to a message I sent and the indicated that they had planned to have a meeting today (Monday) about it amongst their management and come back to the fans with a solution. So hopefully all goes well on that front. I fully agree with Shermanators suggestions for future games.

A couple of questions:

Did anyone have any feedback on how the Kildares event went? Wouldn't mind checking it out there before one of the upcoming games.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information about lighting for Wednesday nights' game. I didn't see any installed on Saturday, and I'm hoping that this won't be an oversight. Are the eventual plans to install them above the grandstand, or just bring in temporary light plants?

I'm pretty confident that they will make their adjustments based on the shortcomings of Saturday's game, and keep the strong momentum of the game going.
The Following User Says Thank You to gb450 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #412
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have arranged for two more busses from the Rose and Crown to Wednesday night's game. One will leave the pub at 5:30 pm, and the other will leave the pub at 6 pm.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #413
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wanted to post because the customer service from them seems great. I talked to them this morning about my seats (due to a pillar issue) and they were receptive. They told me that the pillars were larger than they expected and they would give me some options to move.

In general, I think that there were/are some growing pains and they're aware and will work to rectify them. It's kind of to be expected with a new league and franchise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #414
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I was wondering about that. Those pillars are large. I was expecting a free standing cover, but given how the entire thing is temporary, it's understandable that they couldn't do it that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #415
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I was wondering about that. Those pillars are large. I was expecting a free standing cover, but given how the entire thing is temporary, it's understandable that they couldn't do it that way.
Yeah, they're a problem. Like I almost want to move to the uncovered seats, but I don't know. I loved the idea of a front-row seat...until I sat down. I would post a picture, but it's such a pain here.

The problem is that not only are the pillars so thick, but they're also in front of the seating. I know that sounds obvious, because if they weren't in front there would be no issue, but what I mean is that because of that positioning you can't select seats that aren't going to have an obstructed view.

I'll see what kind of options they come back with. I guess I'm mostly just happy that they're willing to do something though, because with most seasons tickets you can't move around easily. I kind of understand that angle as well, because the next game is two days away and there's no way that I'm the only guy who called in!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #416
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb450 View Post
Did anyone have any feedback on how the Kildares event went? Wouldn't mind checking it out there before one of the upcoming games.
Howie_16, myself, and 5 others went there and it was a nice pub. They've got a big Cavalry logo on the front window, and there were quite a few people in there in Cavs gear, scarves, etc. I wouldn't classify it as super busy or anything (yet), but definitely some like-minded people. They had some Premier League on some of the TVs, and actually had the Wanderers-Forge match live on the biggest TV. My impression was this pub was authentic and understood who was there and what they were there for.

One of our group spoke with the owner or manager and there was talk about setting up a dedicated shuttle for future matches. I'll be inquiring about this for my next trip, as that will alleviate the access gong show that we dealt with trying to get to the stadium.

Nice pub, definitely positioning itself as the local pre-match place. Our whole group agreed that we'd factor that into our next match regardless, especially if they had some sort of shuttle so we could leave our car there. Even better would be a Ship & Anchor style arrangement where we could get a ticket, pint, and shuttle deal and that would also ease the pain with ticket prices.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 05-06-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #417
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have arranged for two more busses from the Rose and Crown to Wednesday night's game. One will leave the pub at 5:30 pm, and the other will leave the pub at 6 pm.
I'll probably be rolling the dice and driving down to this next game, but for future matches, what's the protocol for these busses? Do we need to sign in or just be at the pub (drinking) when the busses are ready?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #418
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I'll probably be rolling the dice and driving down to this next game, but for future matches, what's the protocol for these busses? Do we need to sign in or just be at the pub (drinking) when the busses are ready?
Last game, the bar manager handed out tickets for the busses. I think we had about 75 people on both busses, so things were pretty smooth. Ideally, I'd like to have people sign up at the bar so that we could ensure a spot for everyone. Don't think that will be an issue on weeknight games.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #419
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going tomorrow again, I had so much fun on Saturday. #### the parking issue haha, I don't care.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #420
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm going tomorrow again, I had so much fun on Saturday. #### the parking issue haha, I don't care.
I know it took a while to get into the stadium, but going on a Tuesday for a Wednesday game seems a bit excessive.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge