Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #81
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
Lol this is getting stupid.
How is this prevention measure "stupid"? Makes sense to me.

Its just an easy way to prevent face to face contact in a closed setting while still allowing the media to do their jobs in a press conference setting rather than in a locker room. Those rooms are pretty famous for spreading viruses if they ever get in.

This is just a measured and simple step for prevention that really inconveniences no one to any degree.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #82
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I don't think rhino is being ignorant. I think the Coronavirus or COVID-19 is just a bit blown out of proportions by the media as another "Shock-and-Awe" to get the everyone all riled up and running with at least some fear or with some emotions. Although this virus is quite virulent and spreads fast, I don't think the majority of the populations in this world needs to push the panic button. As long as you're younger than 60 and don't have any respiratory or health concerns, if you get the virus, you'll live to get another strain of virus or some other flu virus. A bonus to catching a virus and living through it is that you'll be immune to the virus after your body recovers from the illness.

It's ridiculous for people to go out to Costco and buy out all the toilet papers and bottled water! Seriously, I actually saw people getting mostly those two things when I went to replenish my pop stash. Talk about people freaking out for nothing! My co-worker caught the H1N1 virus back in the day when the Bird Flu struck North America and he didn't even travel outside of Canada. Funny thing was, his wife didn't catch it. And he said it was just like catching the cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree on the toilet paper and water stuff.
Also agree with the toilet paper.

If you don't have any parents, grand parents, uncles or aunts or care about anybody that are over 50. Or don't care about people who do have loved ones over 50. Then you're good. Otherwise:

And this chart is under representing what it does to older people. More recent figures show it is about 50 to 100% (half again or double) the case fatality rate of 2.3% to about 3.4% (some countries are showing 4ish for now).

Italy also just put 16 million people under lockdown. Seattle and now BC have a nursing home that is going to be a good example of what will be happening in the next few weeks.

EDIT: There is a thread in the Off-Topic portion as well. Don't want to repeat it all but obviously will have some cross talk.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-07-2020 at 02:54 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #83
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. I know if I get it, I'll probably be a okay as I've never smoked and am in decent shape. However, my only co-worker is in her 60s and is a former smoker. If she gets it, she might die. I dont want that so I am trying my best to stay safe. Even if it is a bit of an overreaction, i would obviously rather continue to have that person in my life than not.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #84
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I reading that chart wrong or is it only 1.3 percent of people between 50 to 60 that get that virus are dying?the way people are talking if your over 50 and get this you dead

Last edited by Robo; 03-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #85
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have heard a rumor (and its just a rumor) that in a year over 50% of the earths population will have the Covid-19 virus.

Haven't heard of a projected death rate or recovery rate

Take it for what it is and stay safe all.

Cheers

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #86
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In over a year there will be vaccines to it as well. (Probably in less than a year)
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #87
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
In over a year there will be vaccines to it as well. (Probably in less than a year)
"Probably" not.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...hetoric-121796

“So you’re talking over the next few months, you think you could have a vaccine?” Trump asked during a meeting with top health officials on Monday.

“You won’t have a vaccine,” corrected Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar after some cross talk. “You’ll have a vaccine to go into testing.”

“All right, so you’re talking within a year,” Trump said moments later.

“A year to a year and a half,” interjected Anthony Fauci, a government veteran of disease outbreaks under six presidents.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #88
DMac
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Inter Milan is playing major games in an empty stadium!!

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/02/28...onavirus-italy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqUZ...feature=onebox

Wow - actually pretty cool hearing the players communicate. Tho not sure it is truly 'football' without 35,000 ppl chanting "you dirty northern bastards!" all match long. Perhaps one we should adopt at the 'dome a few nights a year (the chant that is).

In case example would be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3MnSHIX6xM

Last edited by DMac; 03-07-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add link
DMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #89
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt31 View Post
I have heard a rumor (and its just a rumor) that in a year over 50% of the earths population will have the Covid-19 virus.

Haven't heard of a projected death rate or recovery rate

Take it for what it is and stay safe all.

Cheers
It's not a rumour, it's a prediction that many epidemiologists believe in.

40-70% of world population will have had it by the end of the year, and it's likely to become a yearly epidemic.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #90
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

France has also banned events greater than 1000 people, which Germany and Austria expected to soon follow.

Given that north America looks to be about 2-3 weeks behind the European experience, we can probably expect the entire playoffs to be played in empty stadiums.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #91
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that’s the case then just cancel. That would be no fun at all.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #92
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Then they’d have to give back the TV money. You limit losses by playing in empty stadiums. But with the NHL being so gate heavy it might not work as well as soccer or the NBA
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #93
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Not a chance. Their options are to lose ticket revenue or lose ticket revenue AND TV money? C'mon, you know they won't do that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:27 PM   #94
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Agreed

I hope they don't cancel games - coronavirus appears to be so blown out of proportion - I am probably more likely to die driving to the game

High risk people need to be responsible and take care of themselves (limit contact w/ ppl - washing hands etc etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I don't think rhino is being ignorant. I think the Coronavirus or COVID-19 is just a bit blown out of proportions by the media as another "Shock-and-Awe" to get the everyone all riled up and running with at least some fear or with some emotions. Although this virus is quite virulent and spreads fast, I don't think the majority of the populations in this world needs to push the panic button. As long as you're younger than 60 and don't have any respiratory or health concerns, if you get the virus, you'll live to get another strain of virus or some other flu virus. A bonus to catching a virus and living through it is that you'll be immune to the virus after your body recovers from the illness.

It's ridiculous for people to go out to Costco and buy out all the toilet papers and bottled water! Seriously, I actually saw people getting mostly those two things when I went to replenish my pop stash. Talk about people freaking out for nothing! My co-worker caught the H1N1 virus back in the day when the Bird Flu struck North America and he didn't even travel outside of Canada. Funny thing was, his wife didn't catch it. And he said it was just like catching the cold.
These are pretty arrogant. The prevention is to stop 50+ year olds and people with compromised immune systems from dying due to widespread contraction. Do you guys not have parents or know anyone over 50? And even if you don't, your prerogative should be to help save the lives of strangers in those high risk groups.

What frustrating, selfish responses.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #95
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not a chance. Their options are to lose ticket revenue or lose ticket revenue AND TV money? C'mon, you know they won't do that.
There is probably some sort of force majeure in the tv deals if the government shuts down the spectators. I can’t see the nhl and some teams lasting long without the gate.

Which leads me to believe unless forced they won’t stop spectators from attending.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #96
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
There is probably some sort of force majeure in the tv deals if the government shuts down the spectators. I can’t see the nhl and some teams lasting long without the gate.

Which leads me to believe unless forced they won’t stop spectators from attending.
I could be wrong, but I'd highly doubt there would be anything negotiated in any major sport contract with networks that would force losses on TV networks due to world events cancelling in arena attendance.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #97
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
It's not a rumour, it's a prediction that many epidemiologists believe in.

40-70% of world population will have had it by the end of the year, and it's likely to become a yearly epidemic.
It’s been in China for about 3-4 months and what percentage of that country has contracted it? A fraction of 1 percent. Now obviously their containment efforts have been extreme, but similar things are happening in places like Italy too. It’s really hard to predict.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:40 PM   #98
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Well the good news is that the regular season is nearly over so no salaries will have to be paid. The NHL would miss out on profits by only televising the playoffs, but they missed out on a whole year of profits in 2005 and survived just fine so I think the billionaires will live through this one too.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:50 PM   #99
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Well the good news is that the regular season is nearly over so no salaries will have to be paid. The NHL would miss out on profits by only televising the playoffs, but they missed out on a whole year of profits in 2005 and survived just fine so I think the billionaires will live through this one too.
It’s different paying no one and paying the players and all related support staff and not getting the gate.

But you are right they don’t have salaries in the post season.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #100
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wonder how much this would (will) affect Hockey Related Revenues for the purpose calculating next year's cap?
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote