Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #261
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

^seen an article on Facebook (can't find the link now) that said the trucking company only had 2 drivers, the owner and the one who crashed. Not sure if that's accurate or not but if so it wouldn't be hard to figure out

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #262
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Can't access from the US. sigh...

Not the best quality, but you will get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWyI3bciPI&t=95s
Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #263
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sheldon Kennedy. What an impressive human. Seeing him front and centre in all of this, visiting the kids in the hospital, advocating for these kids.... so proud of this guy.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #264
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
^seen an article on Facebook (can't find the link now) that said the trucking company only had 2 drivers, the owner and the one who crashed. Not sure if that's accurate or not but if so it wouldn't be hard to figure out
I think the actual article is on Global's website. The comment section is really ugly. I think newspaper comment sections should be removed altogether for sensitive stories.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4135621/c..._campaign=2014
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #265
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think the actual article is on Global's website. The comment section is really ugly. I think newspaper comment sections should be removed altogether for sensitive stories.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4135621/c..._campaign=2014
Agreed, some of those comments are just awful. Especially considering we don't really know many details of the crash

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #266
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Sheldon Kennedy. What an impressive human. Seeing him front and centre in all of this, visiting the kids in the hospital, advocating for these kids.... so proud of this guy.
That man is tough as ####ing nails.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #267
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This SJW has created a lot of stir with this tweet

https://twitter.com/user/status/983159952264003584
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #268
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post

https://twitter.com/user/status/983159952264003584

There is tone deaf and stupid...and then there is this.

Remarkable she has the ability to operate a computer.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #269
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
That man is tough as ####ing nails.
I believe he was involved in the bus crash in 1986 the Swift Current team was involved in. He knows first-hand what they are going through. He was interviewed on The Fan 960 recently regarding the crash and he made it known he was heading down there to do whatever he could to help.

Great great human being.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 04-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #270
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ i am starting to wonder how much longer it is until the drivers name gets out thanks to some internet detectives.
The name is already out there, associated with calls for a manslaughter charge.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #271
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
I'd prefer to be not aware of it, and it serves no purpose to forward the message. Whoever that person is(if its even a person and not a bot), they are just trying to get attention or interest for commercial purposes or vanity. I refuse to credit it as a real opinion and I don't even believe that he/she believes it.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-11-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #272
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I believe he was involved in the bus crash in 1986 the Swift Current team was involved in. He knows first-hand what they are going through. He was interviewed on The Fan 960 recently regarding the crash and he made it known he was heading down there to do whatever he could to help.

Great great human being.
Eric Francis had an article on the weekend about the 86 crash survivors that were going to help and what they went through after their crash:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...e-help-denied/

Quote:
Early Sunday morning they started a Western Canadian journey not unlike the one they’d shared so many times as junior teammates in Swift Current.

Sheldon Kennedy, Bob Wilkie and Peter Soberlak boarded a Saskatoon-bound flight from Calgary, dropped into a local hospital and then made a 100-kilometre drive to Humboldt, Sask.

Their mission is to help, something Graham James wouldn’t let people do following their team’s tragic bus crash.

That’s not to suggest the people of Swift Current and throughout Western Canada didn’t do everything humanly possible to wrap their arms around the survivors of the 1986 crash that killed four teammates.

However, what came to light many years later was why their coach – James – steadfastly refused to allow players professional counsellors. He feared such introspection would unearth his history as a sexual predator.
Quote:
“When Sheldon stood up and finally outed Graham (in 1996) it all became clear why we weren’t able to get help after the bus crash,” said Wilkie, whose life was so dominated by the trauma of the crash he wrote about about it in a 2013 book called Sudden Death: The Incredible Saga of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos.

“We weren’t allowed to talk about it for fear his dirty secret would come out. My mom wondered for years why we were never given any of the resources we needed to cope with it properly. Those who wanted help were told ‘no’ by Graham. Now we know why.”
Quote:
As Wilkie’s mother, Judy, said, “Thank god there’s no Graham James in the middle of all of this because he wouldn’t allow them to get the support they needed. These boys will.”

Kennedy agreed.

“We need to be there, doing anything we can,” he said. “The number of victims involved goes far beyond the survivors.”

And even though they aren’t armed with counselling certificates, these lads can help because they’ve lived it.

They know what’s coming next.

“It’s going to be dark for a while. It’s going to be sad and consuming and frustrating and none of it makes sense,” said Wilkie, whose quartet will attend Sunday night’s vigil in Humboldt with thousands of others.

“As hard as this is going to be for a while they will be much stronger. They will be inspired and more driven and once they get to the other side it will be OK.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #273
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is tone deaf and stupid...and then there is this.

Remarkable she has the ability to operate a computer.
She's a vile angry person who thinks she's smart and parrots to everyone about how smart and accepting she is, and then posts stuff like this constantly. The good news is shes getting absolutely raked over the coals on twitter where her garbage should belong.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #274
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had read a comment that the 86 survivors were not able to get help, and I wondered why - now we know that graham james stopped that from happeneing. I wonder what he told outsiders about the boys not getting help.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #275
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How was he able to stop it???

That should be a crime in and of itself. There are some garbage humans out there my God.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #276
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
She's a vile angry person who thinks she's smart and parrots to everyone about how smart and accepting she is, and then posts stuff like this constantly. The good news is shes getting absolutely raked over the coals on twitter where her garbage should belong.
That’s a little far. She’s not wrong, it’s just irrelevant and serves only to take away from the support.

Instead of posting that stuff here and getting people riled up, why don’t we just ignore it and move on. The Broncos gain nothing by people raking this person over the coals and calling them names. Best to just ignore them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #277
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
The name is already out there, associated with calls for a manslaughter charge.
And the trucking company have now had their operating license suspended.

Quote:
Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. is registered to Mr. Singh at a residential address in northeast Calgary. The company was registered in 2014, according to a corporate registry search. The agency said the company had a clean record in that province – with no convictions, collisions or violations – and passed inspections in February and March.

However, court records indicate a company with that name was issued a ticket in January for parking a truck off a truck route and another in February for a commercial vehicle stopped on the highway. The parking infraction was in Calgary, while the highway ticket was in the jurisdiction of the traffic court in Drumheller.

Those infractions would be in the records only if they resulted in convictions, an Alberta Transportation spokesman said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ash-suspended/

As for that vile human being who tried to make this a race and gender issue...she's known to be a troll. She's basically the female left wing SJW equivalent of the mouth breathers on r/the_donald.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #278
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And the trucking company have now had their operating license suspended.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ash-suspended/

As for that vile human being who tried to make this a race and gender issue...she's known to be a troll. She's basically the female left wing SJW equivalent of the mouth breathers on r/the_donald.

SOP for incidents like this from what I have read.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #279
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How was he able to stop it???

That should be a crime in and of itself. There are some garbage humans out there my God.
I think that the author of that book was saying that he wanted the players back on the ice as soon as possible, and kind of pressed that the sooner they were able to get back to normal things the better it would be for everyone involved. At that time, people kind of accepted that as more of a standard way to move ahead I guess, and obviously his ulterior motives were known later.

I wouldn't take anything away from the Swift Current side when I say this, but the Humboldt crash is far more devastating I think. The loss of life is obviously far greater, and then you have all of the sever injuries as well. It's just so tragic. The Swift Current team was basically able to get a few players from a couple other teams and complete the season, whereas that is obviously not a consideration in this circumstance.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #280
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/983874762798653441

Nipawin was up 3-1 in the series.

I'd like to think by continuing they'd be honouring the kids who can't be there but it might be too much too soon, so I wouldn't be surprised if they shut 'er down and named the Broncs the honourary champs or something.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote