Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
I know this is the right move, I really hope though that DH has matured and won't be affected by this, provided there is anything to him needing his brother around. I have DH in my hockey pool and need him haha.
Surely, if there was some kind of favor done (which we have yet to establish), it couldn't have been some kind of permanent role for Freddie. The Flames called up Freddie in March of 2016. Freddie gets to make close to $1,000,000, spending a lot of that time in the press box. That's a pretty big favor.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #22
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Should have been Glass.
I don't understand the hate for Glass. he brings something when he plays. Freddie Hamilton has proven that all he is is another body when he plays. You can get more out of Stajan, Glass, Hathaway and probably 4 or 5 other guys on the farm.

Freddie Hamilton has no particular one skill that makes him stand out. He creates the off offensive chance and is passable defensively, but really he's just another guy.

Glass - hits, provides energy, decent fighter.

Stajan - very good on PK, faceoffs, string defensively

Hathaway - ball of energy, can PK, will fight
Old 11-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its sad because I liked Freddie, I liked his jam and his attitude, but in the end this is the right move.

These are the days I do not envy Treliving's job.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #24
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Now I hope the tv network stops putting up Freddie pictures on the stat screen instead of Dougie
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #25
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Woot! The team actually just got better!

Janko, Bennett, Johnny, Money, Brodie, Gio, Tkchuck, Kulak, Backlund and Ferland are all flames draft picks playing.

Looks pretty deets.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #26
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Should have been Glass.
One at a time. Next will be Glass, soon.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly don't think that's the way good GMs operate.

I think Jagr took Jankowski's spot and with that he went down. Since then Bennett hasn't found his game and Jagr got hurt so they made some changes. With those changes Jankowski came up and has proven in a 4 game sample size that he can hold his own in a regular season NHL game.

So now you move Hamilton not because Jankowski has proven he's better, as that was always the case, but now that Jankowski seems to have proven he's better than the next guy in line to be a healthy scratch most nights which I'm guessing is Lazar and/or Glass. Or I guess put more simply, now that Jankowski has proven he's a better option in the top 9 than other players. That couldn't be known from just a preseason look.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Jankowski had already proven he is better than Lazar or Glass. If you weren't sure after training camp, then don't know why you wouldn't keep him up to find out. Keeping F. Hamilton or Glass didn't make sense from day one and this move seems to prove it out IMO.

Is it a big deal after only a few games? No. But it is hard to defend.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly don't think that's the way good GMs operate.

I think Jagr took Jankowski's spot and with that he went down. Since then Bennett hasn't found his game and Jagr got hurt so they made some changes. With those changes Jankowski came up and has proven in a 4 game sample size that he can hold his own in a regular season NHL game.

So now you move Hamilton not because Jankowski has proven he's better, as that was always the case, but now that Jankowski seems to have proven he's better than the next guy in line to be a healthy scratch most nights which I'm guessing is Lazar and/or Glass. Or I guess put more simply, now that Jankowski has proven he's a better option in the top 9 than other players. That couldn't be known from just a preseason look.
I think they really just wanted the 10 games or so to evaluate Bennett at center before moving Jankowski to the wing. If Bennett failed they wanted Jankowski ready to go from playing center in the AHL instead of fouth line minutes.

If Bennett was successful then the evaluation of him on the wing would have needed to take place versus Jagr / Versteeg / Lazar or Fourth line minutes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #29
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Things don’t go overlooked when an organization does things for players. Flames most likely brought Freddie to the team as a thank you for signing with them or was an under the table deal to secure Dougie. Either way paints the org in good light and only helps with future acquisitions.

Let’s go Jankowski!!!! Got the nerves calmed after some games and now he can relax a bit knowing he’s staying. First point coming tomorrow I’d wager.

Last edited by FiveSeven; 11-01-2017 at 10:38 AM.
FiveSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #30
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
This can't be right. What about all the posters that claimed Freddie had to stay as it was part of Dougie's happiness/contract?

The right move (or Glass for all I care). Would love to see another move that opened up a spot for Hathaway on the 4th line. Maybe Stajan can be a Glencross type deal at the deadline and we still make the playoffs.
I'm sure trading for Freddie was a direct result of making Dougie happy, but Freddie was thrown a pretty big bone last year and only got 2 goals in 26 games, I can't see Dougie complaining at this point.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #31
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm certain Dougie will be a professional about this and it won't bother him but at the same time I'm curious to see if it does affect his play.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #32
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I don't understand the hate for Glass. he brings something when he plays. Freddie Hamilton has proven that all he is is another body when he plays. You can get more out of Stajan, Glass, Hathaway and probably 4 or 5 other guys on the farm.

Freddie Hamilton has no particular one skill that makes him stand out. He creates the off offensive chance and is passable defensively, but really he's just another guy.

Glass - hits, provides energy, decent fighter.

Stajan - very good on PK, faceoffs, string defensively

Hathaway - ball of energy, can PK, will fight
You were quoting from one of the members of the "anti-truculent" crowd. They will never see any value in players like Glass or the role they play. You are wasting your time explaining it. This group puts no value on physical play nor do they understand the intimidation and protection aspects of the game, which has been ingrained in the game since forever.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Should have been Glass.
Agree but at least he does have a “role” that you may need in a rare case.

Hamilton doesn’t do anything that Lazar or Stajan don’t do.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-01-2017 at 10:50 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #34
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't bring myself to care about the exact reasoning for having Jankowski start the season in Stockton. It was obvious he wasn't going to be there long, and wasn't. That's all that matters to me. I'm sure the team had their reasons, and 8 games isn't a big deal in the long run.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #35
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski going down was the easy move by the GM so he wasn't painted into a corner and forced to make a move. Treliving mentioned he will make room for a player, it just takes time as every GM knows the position you are in.

Treliving probably wanted to make a trade to make room, but as we have heard the market is tight. I think you are starting to see some GM's making some of these roster moves to open up spots for players they could easily move down (IE Vegas). This has probably been plan B for some time and he just pulled the trigger as the market probably isn't going to open up anytime soon.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #36
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Curious to see if Stajan starts spending more time in the pressbox in favor of Lazar.

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Jagr
Versteeg Lazar Brouwer

Stajan, Glass
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Maybe Stajan can be a Glencross type deal at the deadline and we still make the playoffs.
Glencross was a sought after player who brought 2 2nd round picks.

Calgary has been trying to dump Stajan for awhile now, and can find no takers. He has negative value.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quiet little moves like this are so huge, especially if they come relatively early in a season.

On the blueline it looks like Kulak has shaken off a rough camp and has asserted control over the 6th spot on the blueline. If he continues to play like he did against Washington he really adds to the third pairing and makes the Flames a much more balance hockey team to play against.

Bennett shifts over and Jankowski comes up. Jagr comes off the DL and suddenly a new third line is born. With the top two lines humming this could be a real turning point when coupled with the team playing better two way hockey and defense over the last 5 games.

Kulak and Jankowski in October are slight steps up from other options. But what will they be in March if they get to cut their teeth as regular NHLers?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #39
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck Freddie.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Glencross was a sought after player who brought 2 2nd round picks.

Calgary has been trying to dump Stajan for awhile now, and can find no takers. He has negative value.
Oh! Thanks for the insider scoop!
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post: