Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #41
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched Prisoners last night because of this tread, it is a great movie.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #42
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

What do you guys suggest as far as comedies go?
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #43
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed Kick Ass 2. I thought it was almost better than the first one except for the Big Daddy burning scene (that is awesome). I don't know what the big deal about the violence was. Maybe I've becoming desensitized since watching the first one but I didn't find it to be that bad and maybe less so than the first.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #44
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
What do you guys suggest as far as comedies go?
This is the End is probably the best comedy I've seen this year.

edit: last year!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #45
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
This is the End is probably the best comedy I've seen this year.

edit: last year!
Would have been way better if Fassbender was in it.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #46
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Worst of 2013 has to be R.I.P.D

Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #47
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

The Hunt is actually a really good movie, not enough time to finish it right now but it's already better than most movies from 2013.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #48
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really enjoyed American Hustle - some fantastic performances in that one.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #49
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I agree that "Exit Through The Gift Shop" is a great documentary, but it is about. 4 years old now.
Sorry, I guess I very rarely go to see movies in theatres and was very impressed by these new, "old", movies that came across the preview for the first time this year. For example, this was released on iTunes in September or October for the first time to me. Therefore, this content is new to me.

It makes me wonder how much of this junk was made in 2012 for release in 2013 and how much stuff in 2013 is being released in 2014. The fact is that the movies listed here don't add up to some of the stuff on pay for television like HBO and AMC. The bottom line is it's all DOWN HILL FROM HERE.

Hollywood Movie industry has trivialized entertainment with crud and then like the music industry wonders where sales have gone. We all don't want this lowest common denominator brainwash crap with the american flag in the background. I expect a lot more compelling stories and how about some _original ip_ to make me go to the theatres again. Superman 20 with CGI is not cool. The real story of Superman is about his humanity and endurance with amazing powers used humbly not graphics and space alien wars. I want to see real stuff blow up, not CGI.

I don't want to see Leonardo Dicaprio get laid on screen and off screen. The justice is unfair that his off screen persona becomes his on-screen persona flaunted on the tent pole of his bed sheets as a promise for a good movie. If George Clooney plays another role while he winks at my wife like he will do her he may have to die.

True storytelling and acting is compelling, emotional, suspenseful and relies on artists to suspend reality no matter the story.

Okay that's my hopeful rant on some decent entertainment for 2014.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I really enjoyed Kick Ass 2. I thought it was almost better than the first one except for the Big Daddy burning scene (that is awesome). I don't know what the big deal about the violence was. Maybe I've becoming desensitized since watching the first one but I didn't find it to be that bad and maybe less so than the first.
I actually liked it as well, I was a big fan of the first one, mainly because of some of the action scenes especially the last one when Hitgirl kills everyone in the apartment.

While I don't think the second one was as strong, and went over the top with some of the violence, and the puke and poop scene I could have done without, I thought it was still a pretty decent movie, I'm hoping for a third one, but I doubt that will happen.

In terms of disappointments because I didn't watch a lot of movies this year.

Iron Man 3 - I thought was a huge let down for me. I hated the Manderin twist and thought it bordered on insulting, I thought the movie as a whole was fairly weak, and more of a CGI and explosion marathon

Star Trek into darkness - I just didn't feel it. I really didn't but I'm old school and the twist just wasn't done well. I also found that the camaraderie of the crew which was so natural in the original series, and even in the first reboot was nowhere to be seen here, and they tried to force it into an action movie more then a smart movie. I thought they wasted a perfectly good villain.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they do a third Star Trek film, I'm kind of hoping to see more Klingons and a couple really well done space battles. I think that's been missing in the first two. Every ship the enterprise has come across has been far too overpowering to make a great battle scene.

At least in the rest of the original movies it was the enterprise vs a bird of prey, war bird, reliant, D7 and so on making for a balanced battle and could really get into it. Ever since Star trek Nemesis, the enemy's ship has been some brutal over powering killing machine. No fun IMO. Hell, even a borg cube is better than some of these monsters they put on screen in the last two.

Last edited by dammage79; 01-02-2014 at 02:21 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #52
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they do a third Star Trek I don't know if I'll be able to watch it.

They turned Khan, of all characters, played by Cumberbatch, of all actors, into an empty shell of a man that you didn't care if he lived or died, won or lost.

Just terrible character and story development.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #53
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Trek Into Darkness is a really weird film for me. In that it plays really well for large parts of it, and is really awful for a lot of it too. Such a mixed bag. It's better than the worst Trek movies, but falls far short of the best.

Agreed that the Enterprise needs to stop getting it's ass kicked by overwhelmingly large/powerful ships. It's supposed to be one of the best ships in the galaxy yet there's always someone with an invincible ship the last couple movies. Some things, like the Dreadnaught's technology, didn't even make sense. They somehow invented ways to travel beyond warp speed and fire whilst in warp? Beaming from Earth to Qo'Nos, which is million of light years away? The Next Gen-DS9-Voyager timeline takes place more than a hundred years after this timeline and no one had invented those things yet.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If they do a third Star Trek film, I'm kind of hoping to see more Klingons and a couple really well done space battles. I think that's been missing in the first two. Every ship the enterprise has come across has been far too overpowering to make a great battle scene.

At least in the rest of the original movies it was the enterprise vs a bird of prey, war bird, reliant, D7 and so on making for a balanced battle and could really get into it. Ever since Star trek Nemesis, the enemy's ship has been some brutal over powering killing machine. No fun IMO. Hell, even a borg cube is better than some of these monsters they put on screen in the last two.
there really hasn't been a good tense space battle in the Star Trek Galaxy since Wrath of Kahn. The two battles had amazing tension, and the ships looked battered and bruised and beaten up.

In Star Trek III the search for Spock, there was a brief battle between the Enterprise and a BOP, but it wasn't really a battle.

In Star Trek 6 the undiscovered country, I loved the final battle between the Enterprise, the BOP that could fire while cloaked (surely not) but it wasn't a overwhelming space battle but a chess match in space.

In Generations I hated that battle because frankly they used the footage from Star Trek 6. But second, it was the flagship of the federation against and obsolete Bird of Prey. yeah I get it, the sisters had the shield frequencies, but apparently the Enterprise was designed by the Wright brothers who's idea of armoring was to wrap toilet paper around a ships skeleton. In modern technology terms this would be equivalent to a WW2 mustang taking down the Nimitz with its machine gun.

First contact featured the most epic space battle of all of the movies as we finally saw Star Fleet in action against a single borg cube. Now up until this point the Borg were known for their adaptive technology, but they forgot this technology at home as Star Fleet chipped away at the Borg, then Picard comes on and takes out a technology based on redundant systems and self repairing technology by firing a couple of Torpedo's into the Borg Kitchen hitting a microwave oven and destroying the entire cube, which the entire Star Fleet had only been able to minorly damage to that point.

Star Trek Insurrection the most ######ed movie of the bunch actually mixed the genres of Star Trek and Wing Commander as suddenly a star ship that required a thousand men and woman to fly and fight could be controlled by a single microsoft side winder joystick. I know that money doesn't exist in the star trek universe, but somewhere some senator should be able to put two and two together and come to the conclusion that if massive star ships could be flown by one dude with a joystick the federation would become safer for people wearing red shirts because they wouldn't need to go into space.

Oh and that Nemisis starbattle was every bit as stupid as the movie, the only thing that was missing was Pete Mitchell at the controls of the Enterprise whispering "I'm going to jam on the brakes and he'll fly right by us". Let alone the small design flaw that you have a ultimate weapon based around deadly radiation that turns people into coal, and you have an exposed conduit on the main bridge as a light source?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
If they do a third Star Trek I don't know if I'll be able to watch it.

They turned Khan, of all characters, played by Cumberbatch, of all actors, into an empty shell of a man that you didn't care if he lived or died, won or lost.

Just terrible character and story development.
If another actor played Khan in the original I'm not sure if today we still look back at the Wrath of Khan so fondly as many do. When I think of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan the first thing that comes into my mind is Khan not Kirk, Spock, etc. He owned that movie. It was just the perfect casting as Ricardo Montalban really made that movie as one of the best motion picture villains of all time in that he straddled the boundaries of believable and over the top performances. They simply swung and missed on the casting the 2nd time around.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-02-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If another actor played Khan in the original I'm not sure if today we still look back at the Wrath of Khan so fondly as many do. When I think of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan the first thing that comes into my mind is Khan not Kirk, Spock, etc. He owned that movie. It was just the perfect casting as Ricardo Montalban really made that movie as one of the best motion picture villains of all time in that he straddled the boundaries of believable and over the top performances. They simply swung and missed on the casting the 2nd time around.
And he was a far different Khan then the one you saw in Space Seed. In Space Seed he played the cold hearted ruthless leader. At the end of it, he was looking forward to ruling his own kingdom and building a civilization.

In WOK he played the grief stricken man driven completely by a need for revenge. In a lot of ways he was a very sympathetic character.

When in his encounter with Chekov he plainly says "Admiral Kirk never bothered to check on our progress". You could feel the man who was desparate to hang on to anything including his sanity and at that point letting it go as old wounds re-opened.

People forget that RM was a very good actor, he and Christopher Plumber and Christopher Lloyd represented the one big thing that the generation and rebooting movies missed.

A strong scene stealing villain.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #57
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Watched Lone Survivor tonight.

Sits in my top three for movies this year along with prisoners and captain Phillips.

I was blown away by the accuracy of the movie and the attention to detail.
I loved it too, except that it looked like it was filmed in Montana (Think it was in New Mexico?), they did a great job on that one. Probably the 'Black Hawk Down' of this decade. Much more than just an action flick.

Needed more Eric Bana, haha
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #58
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nonsense. There was no mis-casting. It was simply poorly written. There was no saving that character with this movie. Abrams has no idea how to provide anything outside of shallow story-telling and lens flares.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #59
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a non Star Trek guy, who hasn't seen Wrath of Khan since I was a child, I really enjoyed Cumberbatch and ST Into Darkness.

But again, I'm not comparing it to anything and don't know any kind of back story.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #60
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Cumberbatch as well, and I have seen Wrath of Khan a few times. Khan is the best movie in the franchise without a doubt, but that's not saying much when most of the other movies are generally mediocre to downright unwatchable. I think the series might be dead in the water though, unless they can find a way to produce a cheaper movie. Star Trek just doesn't have the same fanbase as Star Wars, Marvel, DC, or even franchises like Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and Pirates.

Both new Star Trek movies were promoted heavily and had massive budgets. They also brought in one of the "hottest" actors at the moment to play the only villain in the Star Trek universe everyone generally knows. Sure people know who the Klingons and Borg are, but not enough to care about them. They obviously believed they needed to use Khan's name to do well at the box office, but even that didn't work.

Paramount and Abrams did all they could to make Star Trek a success imo, and yet Into Darkness made less domestically than the first one, and was only the 14th highest grossing movie of the year. The problem is that young people today just don't care about Star Trek. It's generally for an older crowd, who was there for the television series. It's pretty much a stagnated franchise at this point; I am sure there will be more movies eventually, but I foresee massive changes for the series.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote